Some monsters from last season

We were very lucky this past season with some truely great trophies. So what do you prefer, the old beaten down animal with a bad looking trophy, or the monter trophy?? Obviously talking in a paying sense...

IMG-20200111-WA0002.jpg

received_1247526152090711.jpeg

IMG-20190912-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20190808-WA0003.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

As a non shooting man if i were to ever shoot something big i'd want to shoot something that was at the end of it's life,a life where it lived and reproduced and did life things,shooting a animal in it's prime is cutting short it's potentale to produce even better animals than itself so improving the wild stock.There are no big ivory carrying elephants because stupid folk shot the best so only the poorer beasts could reproduce and now looks what left,shooters ego's for the big prize will be there and the wildlifes downfall...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fireman said:

As a non shooting man if i were to ever shoot something big i'd want to shoot something that was at the end of it's life,a life where it lived and reproduced and did life things,shooting a animal in it's prime is cutting short it's potentale to produce even better animals than itself so improving the wild stock.There are no big ivory carrying elephants because stupid folk shot the best so only the poorer beasts could reproduce and now looks what left,shooters ego's for the big prize will be there and the wildlifes downfall...

If its not going to be eaten, is not a rat or similar pest or threatening your life I don't see point in shooting it certainly not up hang on a wall. I'd sooner look at it through binos or take a picture of it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Personally, something representative of a mature animal of the species. The 'trophy', to me, should partly be an educational artefact of natural history and partly a totem, things we as hunters/outdoorsmen/naturalists surround ourselves with so when we are sat in our civilised world we can instantly connect ourselves to the wild life that we dream of. And they don't have to be just bone, horn or skin. I've got fossils and shells but could equally be a dried wild flower, rock, or photograph.

I'd always keep something that was exceptional in some way (like a deformed roe head or 20lb+ fox), but a typical specimen of a mature animal is what appeals to me. It's more honest, from a natural history point of view.

Talking about which trophy is best seems a bit misleading though. Pick the adventure and harvest whatever 'trophies' you find on the way...

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2020 at 12:22, forest of dean redneck said:

If its not going to be eaten, is not a rat or similar pest or threatening your life I don't see point in shooting it certainly not up hang on a wall. I'd sooner look at it through binos or take a picture of it. 

Luckily everything we shoot do get eaten, so if the trophy can be used, why not. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 08/03/2020 at 09:03, fireman said:

Well said

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I understand your question right: The hunt cost x and your pick is the pristine bull, or the older fellow with the gnarly set of horns. I would probably choose the older bull. Whether Buffalo or Sable. They make interesting mounts and following what born hunter said so well. It's seems the wear and tear is a true representation of the species.

Nice animals there.

• Like 2
On 08/03/2020 at 20:03, fireman said:

That's why dogging is better than shooting for the wild populations as they tend to catch the slower,weaker type animals leaving the ultimate "trophy"animals to breed healthier stock.I live in an area where roos are shot constantly and the remaining animals are sickly and weak,which I believe will lead to their extinction in the area,but that's the farmers aim.

• Like 2

I shoot for meat so wouldn't want an old stringy beast, something in its prime for me, bigger and tastier ? the better! I'd not be interested in a trophy, you could keep that ?

On 08/03/2020 at 09:03, fireman said:

It's a very noble outlook but In reality that's not how it works. By the time that animal has gotten to that stage it will have had several ruts so it has already passed on it's genes, and it's offspring are passing on those genes so shooting something "in it's prime." isn't stopping the good genes getting passed on. 

If it is carefully managed there is no reason why these animals shouldn't be taken, especially if the money raised can be used to fund the preservation of the species overall. 

The big ivory carrying elephants were shot out by ivory hunters/poachers indiscriminately. Which is a world apart from managed trophy hunting and I bet that, if elephants in those areas were allowed to reach maturity those genes would still be there. 

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...