Bedlington greyhound

5 minutes ago, tank34 said:

The beddy or beddy types working to ground are about just very hard to come by , know of 3 lad that keep an work this type to ground most weeks , kc money shows f****d the bedlington , finding the right bedlington to start first cross I'd say be the hard part , I'd say best fox lurcher I had was a beddy greyhound half x long gone now she tuck anything day an night hard as nails rabbits live to hand , bitch could hunt up like an hound had two more from her one jacked an bitch have now gameness about the same but finding an hunting up not a patch on my old bitch , the beddy whippet an beddy greyhound will be lost like the bedlington as people are wanting as pet the green grass dog paying silly money for pups , seen a litter as much as £700 a pup  

I feel what your saying tank ?? We used to use beddy x as just fox dogs  we were never in to breeding our own we would just buy another if we wanted one we had some good insight in to what a decent beddy x is all about our down fall was we never bred from our dogs but looking back on it now it’s on us for not breeding out of decent said dogs that could do the job like clock work. I think your one of the guys that completely gets why I’d not own a f1 no more my self with your statement you’ve given id rather others try f1s 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A  pic of the 1/2 cross I had early 90s, he stood at 24” and could move . What id give to have him again . ?    

not being funny, but those and many other questions should have been  asked and answered before the mating was considered, let alone carried out.

My we bitch is just going into labour i hope and have 6 cracking homes working homes to go to.one for myself and if she has enough they will be given away to good quality homes that are waiting to hea

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Your not to far wrong in a lot you say what has really fecked the bedlington as a true worker is money , egos and those wanting to be a big name in the. Beddy world ? The half x i run now i payed £120 the most iv ever payed for a dog. On the shoot she pick up and retrieve birds to hand , she has no fear diving in any cover after a rabbit and has mo trouble dealing with charlie, as im aware the sire was a earth dog but i dont know 4 certain ? But what a earth has to offer a lurcher i dont know ?

Better chance in pups working Charlie I'd say from earth working stuff if that's your game 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

All these first crosses people are on about are  they all crossed with a working beddie ?

Surly they would want to know what type of beddy is being used in the cross there buying for the job they want it for it’d be short sighted to leave it just to chance an hope for the best it’d be like getting a sparky to do a plasterers job if it don’t do the job blame the labour 

Just now, poxon said:

Surly they would want to know what type of beddy is being used in the cross there buying for the job they want it for it’d be short sighted to leave it just to chance an hope for the best it’d be like getting a sparky to do a plasterers job if it don’t do the job blame the labour 

Thats it but most now ate breeding for money not quality as you know 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tank34 said:

Better chance in pups working Charlie I'd say from earth working stuff if that's your game 

That’s my thought as well fella people will say but why from a earth dog well in my opinion a hard type will work rabbit an Bush anything in cover as well as dug to 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Thats it but most now ate breeding for money not quality as you know 

That’s why I’d not buy a f1 pup as much as I like them ??I’d rather others do the buying am testing an use what I need when I need it. In my eyes the f1 is only a starting point for future beddy hybrids an not the finished article in f1 form the goal post as definitely changed with beddys over the years hence why I think the beddy bred lurcher to lurcher is the way forward in it’s type

41 minutes ago, poxon said:

No I don’t Keep an work terriers mate my little arms are not cut out for that digging ?but we have had terriers for digging/bolting fox on our old team over the years my opinions based on with what beddys we’ve had or seen we only had one beddy Out the beddys we’ve had that was Half decent or any good an that was a fell blooded outcross beddy the others were straights an they looked busy but were shit in my honest opinion if I wanted a dog for digging/bolting I’d go for a pat/russle type or straight the same my mate has worked for years it’s the same opinion on if I wanted a busher I’d avoid a beddy I’d go for a spaniel or spaniel x terrier type. That’s just it mate about the secret society mate there isn’t one but beddy followers want you to believe there’s one with the dribble they talk  but when someone like me gives a none blinkered honest opinion what hes seen or now sees it’s never taken lightly an taken as a attack on the bedlington or there self as personal the bedlington world is a funny place 

Oh your sure right about.beddy world. Being a funny place thats why i wouldnt be in it ? I got into the breed after being gifted a f1 and was impressed with her drive etc but mainly the nose ? Couldnt find another so got a beddy x with a touch collie maybe she turned the best iv ever owned ? I took a chance with the f1 i have now and i aint dissapointed but finding a genuine f1 is the problem , my next and maybe my last will. Breed out of this.  Bitch with any surplus being culled 

51 minutes ago, poxon said:

That’s why I’d not buy a f1 pup as much as I like them ??I’d rather others do the buying am testing an use what I need when I need it. In my eyes the f1 is only a starting point for future beddy hybrids an not the finished article in f1 form the goal post as definitely changed with beddys over the years hence why I think the beddy bred lurcher to lurcher is the way forward in it’s type

Thing with lurcher to lurcher you can get a.   Various type more so with how much mix is it ? And i aint knockin it as i. Bred that way and produced decent stuff 

1 hour ago, poxon said:

Snap wouldn't have one either  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, poxon said:

That’s my thought as well fella people will say but why from a earth dog well in my opinion a hard type will work rabbit an Bush anything in cover as well as dug to 

How many collies , salukis or staffies are worked to ground ?

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, poxon said:

What i mean by chance it was the guys reputation and it payed off ? And if you use hybred you dont get a f1 ? And if was about cash i think  his pups would have. Been priced alot more than £120 dont you think ? And peddlars dont usually keep pups.  Back for themselves ?

1 hour ago, Loton Moocher said:

How many collies , salukis or staffies are worked to ground ?

That’s a bit like asking how many beddys work sheep or used as stamina dogs for running the desert or used as a fighting dog I know beddys  have been used as a fighting dogs  but not in our life time I think it all stems down to each dog type you’ve named plays it’s roll in the production of Lurchers you pick your base blood for your quarry that your aiming to hunt the bedlington lurcher as always been the in between master of none taker of all 

3 hours ago, poxon said:

well said

2 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Thing with lurcher to lurcher you can get a.   Various type more so with how much mix is it ? And i aint knockin it as i. Bred that way and produced decent stuff 

You can get a various type in most Lurchers or long dogs there all different to a degree of any mix but none of that’s to important it don’t have to be what people with f1s keep going on about that peas in a pod that’s only there as a sales pitch but the more you look in to it there’s variation in that with hight an build workability the only thing I can see about the old pea in a pod thing is there all rough coated but even that has been proven not always true as I’ve seen people on here say about a smooth coat pop up in f1 beddy whippets but long as there doing what they been bred for who cares hey .with beddy xs I always go for a rougher coated one as that’s my preference I like the scruffy look with the cross but you can breed type/stamp in to a dog with line breeding or type breeding if you want looks 

• Like 1