North v South

38 minutes ago, jetro said:

That looks like a handy smoker B.H.

Atb j 

Does the job mate. I use a camp stove on real low with a frying pan full of oak dust as the smoke source. Tried other ways but that is most consistent. You just don't want much heat otherwise it'll cook the meat. Half an hour or so seems to put a good bit of flavour into the meat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's wrong with liver. It's very good for you. Coated in flour black pepper and a salt, fryed in real butter, with home made brown bread,  The food for the gods Atb j 

I've spent half my life fishing in the lakes and it's stunning, someone mentioned life experiences and my best ones are there and on the beaches and in the sea in North Wales, travelled all over the w

I was working in a quarry on a dozer feeding a 1 mile long conveyor belt.through a big hopper. It was sandstone and gravel.The sandstone seem was about 2ft thick and I had to use the dozer ripper

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Does the job mate. I use a camp stove on real low with a frying pan full of oak dust as the smoke source. Tried other ways but that is most consistent. You just don't want much heat otherwise it'll cook the meat. Half an hour or so seems to put a good bit of flavour into the meat.

What type of barrel are you using. It's not the big steel ones is it.

Atb j 

18 minutes ago, jetro said:

What type of barrel are you using. It's not the big steel ones is it.

Atb j 

Yeah, standard oil drum. The bottom third is separated from the top two thirds by a perforated sheet that allows the smoke through but goes some way to minimising direct heat. Then the meat is hung on  bamboo skewers in the top section. The little door at the bottom allows the oak dust to be topped up.

I dunno if it's the right thing to do but I don't have a tight fit on the lid either. I figured you want a bit of flow rather than stagnant smoke.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Born Hunter said:

Yeah, standard oil drum. The bottom third is separated from the top two thirds by a perforated sheet that allows the smoke through but goes some way to minimising direct heat. Then the meat is hung on  bamboo skewers in the top section. The little door at the bottom allows the oak dust to be topped up.

I dunno if it's the right thing to do but I don't have a tight fit on the lid either. I figured you want a bit of flow rather than stagnant smoke.

Sounds ideal. 

We catch a fair bit of fish here in the summer, and salt them to preserve then, mackerel mostly, with some wrass. Would be nice to try the smoking method of a change.

Atb j 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jetro said:

Sounds ideal. 

We catch a fair bit of fish here in the summer, and salt them to preserve then, mackerel mostly, with some wrass. Would be nice to try the smoking method of a change.

Atb j 

What do you do with the wrasse mate? I'm taking a dive with a pole spear for the first time this summer and if wrasse are worth eating it'll likely be my first harvest with the spear. I was going to give them a miss as I thought they were not the best.

Mullet will be on the menu though.

3 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

What do you do with the wrasse mate? I'm taking a dive with a pole spear for the first time this summer and if wrasse are worth eating it'll likely be my first harvest with the spear. I was going to give them a miss as I thought they were not the best.

Mullet will be on the menu though.

Wrasse are lovely to eat, especially fresh. Bit boney, but a lovely sweet flesh. We just gut and split them down along the spine, like mackerel, and fry them, or boil, that's a personal choice. I usually leave it in the fridge over night with a sprinkling of salt on it. It enhances the flavour. Less seasoning is more as they say, your not clouding the taste.

Are you going to dive for any shellfish while your at it. Scallop, lobster crab. 

Mullet, wouldn't be my favourite, but that's just me.  

Atb j 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, jetro said:

Wrasse are lovely to eat, especially fresh. Bit boney, but a lovely sweet flesh. We just gut and split them down along the spine, like mackerel, and fry them, or boil, that's a personal choice. I usually leave it in the fridge over night with a sprinkling of salt on it. It enhances the flavour. Less seasoning is more as they say, your not clouding the taste.

Are you going to dive for any shellfish while your at it. Scallop, lobster crab. 

Mullet, wouldn't be my favourite, but that's just me.  

Atb j 

Cheers mate.

Tbh I'm just finding my feet with it all. I just want to go to interesting places, jump in and see what I can find. If I ever pull out a lobster I'll be absolutely made up. Frankly I'd be more interested in shellfish.

• Like 3
Just now, Born Hunter said:

Cheers mate.

Tbh I'm just finding my feet with it all. I just want to go to interesting places, jump in and see what I can find. If I ever pull out a lobster I'll be absolutely made up. Frankly I'd be more interested in shellfish.

Thing is, you don't have to go to fat off shore or to deep of water to take lobster. Just check rocky ground with a good cover of sea weed. You won't find them on sandy ground.  

Scallops you can just pick them up of sand ground, you'll see them take off in front of you.  Be careful with the lobsters, they can remove fingers with their calws.  Trust me I know lol.

You have a great opportunity over there to dive for fish, illegal here. You can fill your freezer for the year.

I'll be interested to see how you get on

Atb j 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, jetro said:

Thing is, you don't have to go to fat off shore or to deep of water to take lobster. Just check rocky ground with a good cover of sea weed. You won't find them on sandy ground.  

They're the interesting sort of places I was talking about. So maybe I'll get lucky.

11 minutes ago, jetro said:

Scallops you can just pick them up of sand ground, you'll see them take off in front of you.  Be careful with the lobsters, they can remove fingers with their calws.  Trust me I know lol.

You have a great opportunity over there to dive for fish, illegal here. You can fill your freezer for the year.

I'll be interested to see how you get on

Atb j 

Yeah I'll keep my eye's peeled on any sand bars I find. I suppose always the chance of flatties in those areas too, right?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

They're the interesting sort of places I was talking about. So maybe I'll get lucky.

Yeah I'll keep my eye's peeled on any sand bars I find. I suppose always the chance of flatties in those areas too, right?

Definitely, small place, sole dabs, also very nice to eat. We don't fish them here, where i am anyways. The odd one comes up. 

Atb j

35 minutes ago, jetro said:

Definitely, small place, sole dabs, also very nice to eat. We don't fish them here, where i am anyways. The odd one comes up. 

Atb j

Do you know any lads that fish from the beach mate?, wondered what they get?

Was at Louisburgh with the family and thought “this would be just the spot for me and the boy to spend the night fishing” 

18 minutes ago, WILF said:

Do you know any lads that fish from the beach mate?, wondered what they get?

Was at Louisburgh with the family and thought “this would be just the spot for me and the boy to spend the night fishing” 

Where I am, you get small pollock, dabs, thorny backs, mackerel when there in. Wrass and place. 

Atb j 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jetro said:

Where I am, you get small pollock, dabs, thorny backs, mackerel when there in. Wrass and place. 

Atb j 

Louisburgh is a lovely spot day or night for fishing.

More sheltered than down here at least.

Atb j 

• Like 1