Sign in to follow this  
micky

THE VICTORIA CROSS

My g.grandfather was a pow in ww1, held captive by the Turks. He was a surgeon, he helped many escape, and when his time came to escape, he decided to stay behind and tend to the sick and wounded. 

He made a Ouija board, convinced the guards that he could talk to the dead, they were afraid of him in the end, so they left him and others alone. He was a real character iv been told.

Atb j 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jetro said:

My g.grandfather was a pow in ww1, held captive by the Turks. He was a surgeon, he helped many escape, and when his time came to escape, he decided to stay behind and tend to the sick and wounded. 

He made a Ouija board, convinced the guards that he could talk to the dead, they were afraid of him in the end, so they left him and others alone. He was a real character iv been told.

Atb j 

He rolled the dice there Mara they might of just shot him but FairPlay they real superstitious over the Far East .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

He rolled the dice there Mara they might of just shot him but FairPlay they real superstitious over the Far East .

He wasn't alone in the act, they all took part in it, holding a seance and what ever else they could do to plan their escape 

Atb j 

4 minutes ago, jetro said:

He wasn't alone in the act, they all took part in it, holding a seance and what ever else they could do to plan their escape 

Atb j 

Lol 👍He who dares wins 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jetro said:

Atb j 

Aye they were real men back then and the medics overall had an air about them that they weren't there for the war, they were there for their boys!

My grandad was the same, he went back to his lads after they offered him an honorable discharge for his wounds. 

Would we be so selfless nowadays?

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1

Just now, mushroom said:

Aye they were real men back then and the medics overall had an air about them that they weren't there for the war, they were their for their boys!

My grandad was the same, he went back to his lads after they offered him an honorable discharge for his wounds. 

Would we be so selfless 

I wouldn't want to be depending on some of the  today's younger generation to defend us.

There was a book written about this, and dedicated to my g.grandfather.

I think he had some thing to in ww2 as well, I will have to check that out. No in active duty, more of a teaching role..

It would have been an honour to be able to sit with these men today and chat with them for a few hours.

Atb j 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jetro said:

I wouldn't want to be depending on some of the  today's younger generation to defend us.

There was a book written about this, and dedicated to my g.grandfather.

I think he had some thing to in ww2 as well, I will have to check that out. No in active duty, more of a teaching role..

It would have been an honour to be able to sit with these men today and chat with them for a few hours.

Atb j 

In Ireland some people would vilify you for honouring those blokes mate, retarded as f**k if you ask me.

I fell out with a bloke Poppy Day because he was chatting some shit about the Brits and shove ya poppy up your arse an all that.....now, I’m not a particular Poppy Day fanatic but I ain’t having all that bollocks uttered within earshot of me.

We were still the best nation in the world when we was still united and them blokes had honour and courage beyond most you see today.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WILF said:

In Ireland some people would vilify you for honouring those blokes mate, retarded as f**k if you ask me.

I fell out with a bloke Poppy Day because he was chatting some shit about the Brits and shove ya poppy up your arse an all that.....now, I’m not a particular Poppy Day fanatic but I ain’t having all that bollocks uttered within earshot of me.

We were still the best nation in the world when we was still united and them blokes had honour and courage beyond most you see today.

I'm the sort of person that doesn't care about others think and say about . What people think of me is non of my business. 

I'm very proud of my g.grandfather for what he did, and his father before him.

There's others here in my parish that joined the British forces in ww2 as well, navy and infantry, and their held in high regard and their pictures are hung with pride. My own cousin today is in the RMC.

I find that a lot of the people that make ignorant and stupid comments on things like this, which is history, that affected the whole world, not just the British isles, are the ones that have never left their little world.

Atb j 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jetro said:

I'm the sort of person that doesn't care about others think and say about . What people think of me is non of my business. 

I'm very proud of my g.grandfather for what he did, and his father before him.

There's others here in my parish that joined the British forces in ww2 as well, navy and infantry, and their held in high regard and their pictures are hung with pride. My own cousin today is in the RMC.

I find that a lot of the people that make ignorant and stupid comments on things like this, which is history, that affected the whole world, not just the British isles, are the ones that have never left their little world.

Atb j 

Thousands of Irish died alongside 

my great grandfather at Gallipoli in the Royal Dublin Fusileers who then had to merge with the Munsters  to form a regiment of sorts they called the Dubsters' and he was a Englishman  thru and thru 👍

You be Proud mate and don't listen to the haters who just hate for the sake of it 👍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Thousands of Irish died alongside 

my great grandfather at Gallipoli in the Royal Dublin Fusileers who then had to merge with the Munsters  to form a regiment of sorts they called the Dubsters' and he was a Englishman  thru and thru 👍

You be Proud mate and don't listen to the haters who just hate for the sake of it 👍

My g.grandfather was irish, and so was his family before him. He was born into a military life, and stayed with it, followed it for most of his.

I am very proud of him, he saw and achieved things most people can only dream about. As did many many others of that time and place.

Atb j

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WILF said:

We killed the relationship, the day we let them starve mate. Before that we were foes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WILF said:

We’re all entitled to an opinion, because you don’t agree with it doesn’t mean the individual or his opinion is retarded 😀

The ease in which you throw in , an off the cuff remark about some Irish,  who may not agree with your empirical mindset just about sums you up on here , you still living here .?

“we were still the best nation in the world when we were still united “🤣 Where the f**k you going with that statement,

The word nation doesn’t leave much room for the Scots welsh or Irish 

37 minutes ago, Casso said:

We’re all entitled to an opinion, because you don’t agree with it doesn’t mean the individual or his opinion is retarded 😀

The ease in which you throw in , an off the cuff remark about some Irish,  who may not agree with your empirical mindset just about sums you up on here , you still living here .?

“we were still the best nation in the world when we were still united “🤣 Where the f**k you going with that statement,

The word nation doesn’t leave much room for the Scots welsh or Irish 

Who all had brave men loose their lives leaving mothers with kids

to fend for themselfs 

All Victim's of War

Edited by maxhardcore

so what use to happen in ww1 and ww2 ive read bit's here and there.about door knocking and telling you to get on the lorry etc you are going to war.and had no say in it.is that right..

21 minutes ago, king said:

so what use to happen in ww1 and ww2 ive read bit's here and there.about door knocking and telling you to get on the lorry etc you are going to war.and had no say in it.is that right..

Conscripted, or railroaded, I could be wrong 

Atb j