Hunting .with the 177 cal.

22 minutes ago, pianoman said:

I get my 4.51mm JSB Heavies from Sundon Model Shop on Ebay. 

Can't recommend them highly enough. They have an excellent range of pellets and their service is superb in my experience. 

Are you using the JSB Heavies in the 97 or the Daystate Simon. I am using JSB Exact 4.52 in my new 99 which seem to be spot on so far although I have only put about 400-500 pellets through as yet.

Phil

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never really gave the jsb heavies much barrel time in the 100 or r10 mark but the 100 bloody loved biz mags and thats all i fed her for a long time and they worked a treat. The 99 is more than happy

I dont think you can beat an hw100 mate, iv had plenty of different pcp's but only have them a few months then get ridd, iv had this hw100 kt  since new, about 2 years, before that i had a full length

use to use the heavies loads till I started shooting around livestock, used them and biz mags as both are good when your stretching the range! problem was pass throughs and ricochets .. not a pro

Posted Images

On 13/05/2020 at 12:03, philpot said:

Are you using the JSB Heavies in the 97 or the Daystate Simon. I am using JSB Exact 4.52 in my new 99 which seem to be spot on so far although I have only put about 400-500 pellets through as yet.

Phil

I use these in my Daystate Regal .177 Phil. They are devasting on rabbits, woodies and corvids. 

The Webley Axsor and FX2000 .22 I have are performing brilliantly with the 5 52mm JSB Heavy too. These are outstandingly amazing pellets in either calibre, in my experience. Nothing less than single pellet-hole accurate at 30-50 metres ranges. 

The HW97 I had is now in Mark's capable hands. 

Best.

Simon. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, pianoman said:

I use these in my Daystate Regal .177 Phil. They are devasting on rabbits, woodies and corvids. 

The Webley Axsor and FX2000 .22 I have are performing brilliantly with the 5 52mm JSB Heavy too. These are outstandingly amazing pellets in either calibre, in my experience. Nothing less than single pellet-hole accurate at 30-50 metres ranges. 

The HW97 I had is now in Mark's capable hands. 

Best.

Simon. 

Okay thanks Simon.

I have bought a 99 in .177 flavour a couple of weeks ago and using JSB Exact at present with good and accurate results but I did wonder what the Heavies would be like as an alternative if I use the HW99 for hunting. Early days yet and I have a few tins to use up before looking further afield.

Phil 

I`ve still to try out the JSB Heavies with everywhere shut down until now.

Got to admit though, it would take a team of horses to pull me away from the JSB Exact Express now.

Phil, promise me you'll try the Express, 4.52, 7.87g through your HW 99 before you decide, I can send some over to you if needed buddy ?

Here's my HW 97 on the range with them.

All my .177 rifles, bar the HW 100 KT, are hunting with the Express.

Check the 12 shot group against the 97`s stock screw, deadly accurate.

IMG_1331.JPG.69d89d0b46438f1e29114d8a9d4aed71.JPG

1 hour ago, mark williams said:

I`ve still to try out the JSB Heavies with everywhere shut down until now.

Got to admit though, it would take a team of horses to pull me away from the JSB Exact Express now.

Phil, promise me you'll try the Express, 4.52, 7.87g through your HW 99 before you decide, I can send some over to you if needed buddy ?

Here's my HW 97 on the range with them.

All my .177 rifles, bar the HW 100 KT, are hunting with the Express.

Check the 12 shot group against the 97`s stock screw, deadly accurate.

IMG_1331.JPG.69d89d0b46438f1e29114d8a9d4aed71.JPG

Thanks Mark for the offer, I do have over half a tin of AA Field Express pellets which were amazing in my old TX for accuracy but I didn't use the TX for hunting as it was too bloody heavy to walk around with.

I tried light pellets in my old HW100 and for some reason my kill rate went downhill and when I switched to Bis Mags, it went through the roof so it put me off light pellets for hunting and at the same time gave me great confidence in the heavier pellet, not a closed book though.

I know you, Mitch and others use light pellets to great effect and I am not disgarding the idea of using them, just not sure mate. I have yet to spend any time in the range doing proper pellet tests and when I do, I will for sure be testing the Express, Heavies and Exact but I must say that I have had the Express pellets for a couple of years but their price was crazy compared to other pellets, I have not checked if JSB Express are cheaper than AA which to my mind were a rip off.

Phil

All my HW rifles love the Express including my HW100KT.

The ft/lbs are all 11- 11.5.

Yep it was Mitch ( Villaman ) that put me onto these and I`ve never looked back to be honest.

They hit hard and laser accurate, all heart/ lung.

IMG_1149.JPG.4063c230851c2414ca0b09b3e4b5d3d7.JPG

Good luck with the HW99 Phil, nice to see you shooting with a proper gun buddy. :p:good:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/01/2020 at 21:07, mark williams said:

Not in any way a caliber question lads but rather a pellet weight question.

I`ve shot exclusively with the light weight JSB Exact Express 4.52, 7.87 g pellets for nearly 4 years now and can't see me changing much after the successful trips I,ve had.

My question is - do any of you lads hunt with the JSB Heavies  10.34 g in .177 cal ?

I was watching a Vermin Hunters t.v. video recently and I was very impressed with the wallop/ tissue damage these particular pellets gave from sub/12 rifles at a shorter 25/ 30 yds on squirrel.

I've used the heavies for the last 2 years with great effect out to 50odd yds in my hw100 and hw110..

On 11/01/2020 at 23:45, Rez said:

I see. Best get some clay blocks init and do some testing ? From the images you and marko do post, the tissue is well and truly damaged... even with the lighter pellet.  

I use a softish clay for pellet testing.(and fun), and get some good results out to 20yds in  back garden but the lighter and heavier round nose pellets always penetrate right through the clay, with little deformity where as .177 hades and polymags really open up in the clay, sorry tongonoff topic here guys, just wanted to add that little bit...I found the heavies very accurate out to 45-50 and slightly beyond i also use them with the 4k.pro ballistic calculator as pellet weight has to be 10gr or over...

On 13/05/2020 at 11:37, pianoman said:

I get my 4.51mm JSB Heavies from Sundon Model Shop on Ebay. 

Can't recommend them highly enough. They have an excellent range of pellets and their service is superb in my experience. 

Just ordered a tin of the 4.51 jsb heavies to try as I didnt know they did a 4.51..

19 hours ago, salop sniper said:

Simon,Mark do you wash and lube your pellets or use them straight from the tin ?

Hi Sniper,

The closest I`ve ever got to lubing is a light spraying of the empty loading side of a HW 100 magazine at arms length every 5th or 6th re load- tightens those groups up really well.

IMG_1382.JPG.3826a304093d8b8ae26c1bb9b2ab0771.JPG

I`ve decided not to fix something that is`nt broke and stay with the AA Fields 4.52, 8.4g in the KT and also stay with the JSB Exact Express in all of my .177 rifles.

As said, if you hit the spot, light V heavy does not even come into it :good:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Salop Sniper.

I have always washed all my pellets in a sieve dunked in a bowlful of warm water and Fairy Liquid then, dried out with a hair dryer. There is always a bit of loose swarf in the tins and sometimes still attached to the skirts I find and this cannot be allowed to get into the barrel. 

For many, many years, I've lubed my washed pellets by a light squirt of WD40 into a cloth and rolled a few pellets in it at a time. This gives a light coating to the outer surfaces of the pellets without wetting the inside of the skirts in the oil which will cause major dieselling problems. So never squirt WD40 directly onto the ammo.

It's always worked well for me and, as Mark says, don't fix something that ain't broke and don't change what works well. I don't follow fads and trends in pellet design. The pests I shoot can't tell the differences anyway!

I currently own seven air rifles I hunt with and all of them love traditional domed Diablo pellets from JSB, Air Arms Fields and H&N FTT. 

All the best.

Simon.

• Like 1