Is there any future in game keeping anymore?

Mate I think it would be good if you got yourself a trade to fall back on like Stiff said?... Then get out there and find yourself a job that gets you out into the countryside and that could open a few more doors for you, tree surgery, fencer, wildlife management, contract driving plant/combines etc............ If you still want to do it then get to college and get your head down... I wish you all the luck bud?I had dreams very similar when younger, but found it wasnt that easy a thing to fall into.... So I got my self a trade or 2. I got skills now that interests lots of land owners, keepers saving a few Bob....... And I'm in there ??

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven’t been posting on here for a while but I had a look today and I feel that my input might be valid as I earn my living as a gamekeeper and have done for the last 15 years or so . There are some

I'm not a keeper so I don't know shit really but I'm going to say what I think anyway.  The future (beyond five years time) of traditional keepering is quite possibly abroad, places where operati

Mate I think it would be good if you got yourself a trade to fall back on like Stiff said?... Then get out there and find yourself a job that gets you out into the countryside and that could open a fe

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Mate I think it would be good if you got yourself a trade to fall back on like Stiff said?... Then get out there and find yourself a job that gets you out into the countryside and that could open a few more doors for you, tree surgery, fencer, wildlife management, contract driving plant/combines etc............ If you still want to do it then get to college and get your head down... I wish you all the luck bud?I had dreams very similar when younger, but found it wasnt that easy a thing to fall into.... So I got my self a trade or 2. I got skills now that interests lots of land owners, keepers saving a few Bob....... And I'm in there ??

Words of wisdom, go down DC road and you wont go wrong, keepering could give you a lot of regrets !

Most of the keepers I know keep terriers and some have the odd Lurcher . Most of the good keepers who are a bit old school like me , spent their formative years rooting around a hedge bottom with a ferret or with a running dog or two. None of us went to college . Does that make us better keepers? I think it gives you field craft which can’t be taught in front of a blackboard. But it doesn’t matter if you can outwit the local one for the pot boy . Because he’s not your enemy, like has been posted before , disease is a major concern now as are gangs with catapults , but you would be a fool to tackle them . I already owned my own house before I took this job . I also had a trade under my belt . I love doing the job but I do question my own sanity sometimes, because it’s bloody hard work and long hours which if I was on the clock I would give my boss a heart attack. But I love the challenge, it’s you against everything nature can throw at you .. disease , bad weather , relentless predators . The top jobs require a diploma and you need to start at the bottom. There are lots of young lads who fall out of love with it after a year or two and I don’t blame them . I got into it later in life and I think it’s not a bad way to go . Because of my maturity my boss treats me with respect and as long as the birds are there I’m left alone . Daniel Cain has made some fair points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
5 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

What the f**k does having terriers or lurchers before being a keeper have to do with it ?? 

I totally do not get your point here at all . 

Maybe you could explain all?? 

Calm down mate,were having a nice chat here for the benefit of a young lad.if you have been mooching with long net,purse net,ferret,terrier,lurcher,airgun,catapult,shotgun,pushing out hedgerows,generally walking the land,day n night you see,hear,feel things that cant be taught at sparsholt.them people make the best keepers in my view.they got an eye for it.

• Like 1