Before they built on it

We used to hunt Allerton Bywater Pit yard and surrounding land , Fox /rabbit in the pipes , under the belting and under the portacabins . Didn’t have permission but nobody gave a  feck back then... all gone now and replaced by “the Millenium village”... 

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can particularly relate to the last few posts regarding pit yards and railway embankments. These pics were taken earlier this year after a little snow fall. Regularly hunted this place , line went f

Somewhat ironically the house that I live in is almost on the exact spot where I first seen a rabbit hunted. Within about a 200m radius. I would love to be able to say that I built a house is some rur

I can't complain as it keeps me in work, people need somewhere to live ?... Around my way they seem to build on old factory ground and on what I would call flood plains..... I wouldn't personally buy

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

We used to hunt Allerton Bywater Pit yard and surrounding land , Fox /rabbit in the pipes , under the belting and under the portacabins . Didn’t have permission but nobody gave a  feck back then... all gone now and replaced by “the Millenium village”... 

sounds wonderful and very modern. 

Just now, Mr Wilkes said:

Brought in a thousand + most wi dogs, walking everywhere and anywhere , local farmers digging ditches to keep em off land.. times changing.. for the worse.

it's pretty much the same here mate. railway embankments we used to dog and ferret now walking trails full of arseholes on pushbike or walking dogs they can't control. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Global warming it will be anyway and along the Severn,  lydney in fod is another place they were on about it when I lived up there.

Housing estates popping up all over the forest these days.... Growing ever closer to Gloucester lol

• Like 1
3 hours ago, fred90 said:

it's pretty much the same here mate. railway embankments we used to dog and ferret now walking trails full of arseholes on pushbike or walking dogs they can't control. 

I can particularly relate to the last few posts regarding pit yards and railway embankments. These pics were taken earlier this year after a little snow fall. Regularly hunted this place , line went for miles and would never see another living soul. Can't even walk a terrier here now because of cyclists and pet dog walkers. I am not begrudging them the use of the land and of course fully accept that times change and it would be unacceptable to hunt these places now but their self centred ignorant attitudes prevent others enjoying it for recreational walks. Almost makes me want to get  something larger with a bit of bull or Wheaten in it and see if how they like it when their black lab, Hungarian Vizla, Boxer or whatever decides to not be "good as gold" and wants a bit of my dog. First time he's ever done that? Really...well, looks like it he wont do it again. The pics were taken at about 2:00 am, even though it looks daytime, during a lovely but all too brief snow "storm". It was enough to keep everyone else indoors but looking at the tracks the MAMILs had been out earlier.

I count my blessings though that I was fortunate to have land to hunt on my doorstep and no one bothered me. Never caught great numbers of anything on places like pit yards but great sport and taught the importance of a dog that could use its nose. We even hunted what is now Bowes Railway Museum when in its infancy not long after closing as a working yard. Used to feel a bit sorry for the railway enthusiasts as no sooner had they repaired the perimeter fence with good quality steel mesh then another section went missing. Some lads had runs in their gardens and yards built out of top quality gear :-).  

003.JPG

014.JPG

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

It takes a very special type of dog to kill stuff on open casts and bings most die very  young the ones that  grow old you use your feet to point at ?✍my mates dog used to beat us home even when we took the bus .

There were some very steep slag heaps at one place surrounded by arable fields with a fair population of hares. Good hares that really were the product of survival of the fittest. They were given no respite or closed season by most who ran them. It was unusual to lift one on the pit workings and most were found lower down in the fields. Soon as they knew they had something other than a mongrel or terrier behind them they would put their ears back and headed for the heaps. Took a very good dog keep it up once leaving the easy running ground. And an exceptional (or lucky) dog to catch one.