Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chid

We will remember

Recommended Posts


Went to a tiny blink and you’ll miss it Suffolk village this morning to lay a wreath as part of my regiments community representatives at all of our local churches. 

In world war 1 , around twenty young men from that village died , including two lads called  Shillcot and Ford , you’ll have to excuse the first names.

Bawdsey is a tiny community , and for that amount of people to be lost must have been devastating to the population and their next contribution as only two young men fell in ww2 , the sons of shillcot and ford respectively . 

Two generations decimated by the wars. 

And that’s from a tiny tiny village next door to nowhere. 

Imagine the swathes of family’s decimated in larger areas. 

Anyone who doesn’t buy or wear a poppy needs their head looked 

“only the dead have seen the end of war” 

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a service and a parade in my wee village today , good turn out from the locals and some not so locals 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, downsouth said:

20191110_115929.jpg

Took my girl to do her bit at the Remembrance service at our church with her pals this morning

20191110_120024.jpg

20191110_115929.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chid said:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: 

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. 

At the going down of the sun and in the morning 

We will remember them.

Absolutely chid, god bless them all 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Went to a tiny blink and you’ll miss it Suffolk village this morning to lay a wreath as part of my regiments community representatives at all of our local churches. 

In world war 1 , around twenty young men from that village died , including two lads called  Shillcot and Ford , you’ll have to excuse the first names.

Bawdsey is a tiny community , and for that amount of people to be lost must have been devastating to the population and their next contribution as only two young men fell in ww2 , the sons of shillcot and ford respectively . 

Two generations decimated by the wars. 

And that’s from a tiny tiny village next door to nowhere. 

Imagine the swathes of family’s decimated in larger areas. 

Anyone who doesn’t buy or wear a poppy needs their head looked 

“only the dead have seen the end of war” 

 

 

Could you imagine trying to form a “pals brigade” today?.......how many takers would that get.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WILF said:

Could you imagine trying to form a “pals brigade” today?.......how many takers would that get.

 

Cynical but true.

Cheers, D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Cynical but true.

Cheers, D.

Sounds a bit soft but I always find this time of year remembering those men quiet emotional mate.....what a race of people we were then........everything that was good about us.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, All-terrain said:

392BF24E-9593-4108-8CA6-31A8624353DB.jpeg

So very true my grandfather said how it upset him and many other soldiers, coming from a farming community it must have been distressing seeing the suffering imposed on innocent animals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but i can’t get too emotional about the animals , sad as it is , the human tragedy far outweighs a few dogs getting killed 

people are quick to jump on things but the Suffolk punch horse is nigh on extinct , the horse that dragged the artillery and supply chains in World War One 

and Instead were spending money in introducing ridiculous predators back into Scotland 

shameful 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Sorry but i can’t get too emotional about the animals , sad as it is , the human tragedy far outweighs a few dogs getting killed 

people are quick to jump on things but the Suffolk punch horse is nigh on extinct , the horse that dragged the artillery and supply chains in World War One 

and Instead were spending money in introducing ridiculous predators back into Scotland 

shameful 

Amen to that brother 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...