Autumn squirrels.

Did some decoying today, no not squirrels, other stuff, between the rains.

Spent the afternoon with my Mrs and G'daughter and then popped out to walk a slang of beeches.

7 down to the 410. 

IMG_20190922_184947196.jpg.f92e1fe87279cfd4c633f5b20101ee68.jpg

I used some Hull game and clay #6 11g loads and they are quite punchy with a corresponding report despite the moderator. Not enough to really disturb the next target, they must think it's in the distance!

Fun is a .410 ?

• Like 11

Very nice, it’s coming to that squizzer time of year for us around the shoot, there seem to be loads this year, I think I’ll have a bash at a few on Sunday when I’m back to normality, feeding up, for now I’ll have to put up with the 31•c and a night out loggerhead turtle ? watching ?

6 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Very nice, it’s coming to that squizzer time of year for us around the shoot, there seem to be loads this year, I think I’ll have a bash at a few on Sunday when I’m back to normality, feeding up, for now I’ll have to put up with the 31•c and a night out loggerhead turtle ? watching ?

Quick skim read, I had to re-read; worried why (and who's) turtlehead you were watching!! 

• Haha 2
28 minutes ago, king said:

what's the maximum range of the 410 on them squirrels SD 

Think the longest yesterday was 25+yards and the closest was about 7.

The little tough squirrel needs a few pellets that still have some speed to them. I like being under 30 yards.

20g and larger has the edge beyond that due to the ability of several pellets on target but getting close is the fun part!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Gav said:

Wish we had tree rats and fox, you guys get all the fun ?

Good going Mr Sausage ?

Morning sir.

You have peace, peace from walkers, vegans and tree huggers, louts on scramblers. 

You have proper dark skies, ducks and geese. Deer, grouse and excellent fishing. You got it good up there bro, promise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Morning sir.

You have peace, peace from walkers, vegans and tree huggers, louts on scramblers. 

You have proper dark skies, ducks and geese. Deer, grouse and excellent fishing. You got it good up there bro, promise.

This is very true, you've convinced me to stay where I am and be thankful for what I have ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice shooting SD. I’ve recently picked up a sbs fourten, chokes marked half and three quarter. Done a bit of pattern testing and the eley extralongs threw a decent pattern at 22 and 28 yards (paces)? respectively. They were #6 shot. I’m going to pick some more of these up in #7 shot, give them a try and see how they compare pattern wise. Haven’t had much time for a play with it yet and the squirrels are everywhere at the moment round here. I agree about the squirrels needing a hard hitting cartridge in fourten,  some of the 2:1/2 inch loads I’ve used struggle to drop them cleanly so I’m sticking with the three inch magnums for the squirrels ??.

Edited by Rimfireboy!
My bad
26 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Nice shooting SD. I’ve recently picked up a sbs fourten, chokes marked half and three quarter. Done a bit of pattern testing and the eley extralongs threw a decent pattern at 22 and 28 yards (paces)? respectively. They were #6 shot. I’m going to pick some more of these up in #7 shot, give them a try and see how they compare pattern wise. Haven’t had much time for a play with it yet and the squirrels are everywhere at the moment round here. I agree about the squirrels needing a hard hitting cartridge in fourten,  some of the 2:1/2 inch loads I’ve used struggle to drop them cleanly so I’m sticking with the three inch magnums for the squirrels ??.

Fiocchi do a 3" #7&1/2, they seem good with a good pellet count ?.

• Like 1

Black gold were always supposed to be quite a good clay load that worked for game because of their hard shot and very high speeds. Quite a punchy cartridge, I never used anything else myself when I discovered them. That said, don't know if they're in .410.

As an aside, I've heard ti said the 20g hush is quite a quiet gun and not that dissimilar to a .410 hush, although I can't say I've ever fired either.