"I'll be back".

After a squirrel session last night I checked a cut grass field just gone dark and yep there was a fox so tonight I sat and watched it go dark.

Pheasants went to roost and bats and owls swooped and called into the tree just 22 yards into the field from the oak I was sat against in the hedge.

From nowhere this large fox trotted left to right. As it was 30yds away it went behind the tree in front of me. In a single swift movement the safety came off and the the rifle was mounted.

Turned out the fox came to the tree and came around to my side now staring straight at me. In a split second I fired.

When I picked him up I was shocked! The weight felt like close to 30lb!

Is it my ghost fox? I doubt it, this one looks just like the feller I missed last weekend and I still believe my ghost fox is a Vixen. I think this chap was trailing my ghost fox as he was on the same run I know she uses and she has been vocal recently too!

IMG_20190919_201136.jpg.fdc44497f1e5852fb1461acfca37ba56.jpg

The old Winchester wmr rounds  I recently got did the trick.

• Like 12

It would be interesting to weigh him . A 20lb plus fox is big around my way . Are you doing that old carp fisherman’s trick of holding it near the camera? ? I shot a big fox a few years ago and took it to a mates place to weigh it on his fishing scales . He had a terrier there and decided he wanted to see if it would rag the dead fox , he got it out and shook it in front of the dog , the dog got his lipstick out and started to try and hump the dead fox . I raised an eyebrow, he said “don’t tell anyone about this “. Of course not !!!?

• Haha 7
2 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

It would be interesting to weigh him . A 20lb plus fox is big around my way . Are you doing that old carp fisherman’s trick of holding it near the camera? ? I shot a big fox a few years ago and took it to a mates place to weigh it on his fishing scales . He had a terrier there and decided he wanted to see if it would rag the dead fox , he got it out and shook it in front of the dog , the dog got his lipstick out and started to try and hump the dead fox . I raised an eyebrow, he said “don’t tell anyone about this “. Of course not !!!?

To be honest I did wonder about going and fetching some scales but I hadne had me tea!

• Haha 2

It's no good you hiding behind that fox.   I know you,  your not a new member, you're an existing  member, aren't you.!!   It's the glasses and the gun sling  that give you away.  It's kiwis backham in disguise isn't it. 

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, David.evans said:

That is a big in mate , you need to tuck in your underpants , lol ??

great shooting SD , don’t think I could do snap shots a quick as that you must have reflexes like a viper 

atb mate 

More like a slow worm mate!

The irony is a shotgun would of been easier but had I taken one it would of been 80 yards out wouldn't it be!

• Like 1