Cartridges

• 1 month later...

Bismuth #6’s for ducks. Bismuth #4’s in my pocket for if an geese happen by. Not shooting long distances, so these work fine. Planning to handload some bismuth #7’s for a few spots in the uplands where it is not uncommon to jump teal off a creek or pond. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not being funny mate, get a few different loads, and pattern them then make your decision, steel definitely patterns different to lead, and despite what people are saying  they are much less affective than lead, I haven’t used much bismuth but have heard good things about it compared to steel, I find no 3’s and4’s seem to give good patterns in my sx4 but seriously get your mates to give you an odd hand full of different types and shot sizes, buy a roll of plain wall paper and set up a pattern plate, make a not of what she’ll does what with what choke and make an informed decision, 

On 10/04/2020 at 12:42, 3175darren said:

Not being funny mate, get a few different loads, and pattern them then make your decision, steel definitely patterns different to lead, and despite what people are saying  they are much less affective than lead, I haven’t used much bismuth but have heard good things about it compared to steel, I find no 3’s and4’s seem to give good patterns in my sx4 but seriously get your mates to give you an odd hand full of different types and shot sizes, buy a roll of plain wall paper and set up a pattern plate, make a not of what she’ll does what with what choke and make an informed decision, 

Good advice, and I’d agree about steel compared to lead. Unless they are HP steel, I wouldn’t use them. I’ve had some really poor steel cartridges, shot teal only for them to recover in the back of the truck. Sat there quacking at me. I’ve bowled squirrels over with them, and they’ve recovered, hit them again, and they’ve recovered again. Tested on a dog meat can at 25 yards and only made small dents. Load of crap, some of them. Bismuth, tungsten and Hevi shot is good, but expensive. I had some tin cartridges given to me once, when the lead ban came in I think. They were so poor on performance it was beyond a joke.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are loads of different cartridges out here from a lot of different manufactures, I have been using Eley VIP Steel 32g and they work fine for me. I have also been trying out some home loads. Game bore are bringing out a new fibre steel load. They should be worth a try.

atb

Sundodger

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know much about it but is the gun steel proofed if so try what you like.

Mammoth steel  36g 3s as said above are really good in a 3inch. What chamber do you have ?

Standard steel is also fine with Gamebore 12G Super Steel in a 4 or 5. My mate does some great shots on ducks with them. 
I am using Lyalvale Express Precision Steel 12Ga in a 5 and shooting well at the moment and use the mammoths for geese.

My gun is not steel proof but is a 3 inch magnum so I whack any thing through it