Foxing caliber

Hi all, my FAO came around the other day to deal with my renewal I was requesting a 243 but was refused because I did not have deer on my land that wanted controlling,mostly the center fire caliber I'm after is for fox,on this renewal I am due to go on an open ticket but the FAO said that I might not get an open ticket on my center fire I thought this was strange ? but he would have to check and get back to me when I decide which alternative caliber to go for,this FAO he said was fairly new this role and was covering for a FAO on sick leave.

This brings me to decide which caliber now to go for 22.250 - .222 or 223 looking at ballistics chart they all look very similar up to 200 mtrs, my max range will be prob 300 mtrs but that I know is a long way I think I will be going for the 223 but I would appreciate any comments on foxing calibers before deciding.

Edited by goldfinger

You should give the reason that you pay for stalking and require a .243 and an open ticket 

both the .223 and the 22-250 are very capable fox calibres, if it’s cheap you are after go .223, I really like the 22-250 but that could be because I’ve never owned one and always seem to like things I don’t have ?

• Haha 1

A .243 isn't many people FIRST choice of a fox calibre, but I have to suggest with the light V-Max they are excellent for long range fox.

Its down to land, circumstances, and need!  I shoot FAR more fox with my collection of rimfires than centrefires, but all my calibres are AOLQ so I take them at will with anything.

300 yards as a long way for most people on fox, but there are those that need to take them a long way (not many), the vast majority of mine are under 100 yards! 

If you have NO desire to ever go for deer, then get a .22-250, but in honesty I'm not a great fan, otherwise .222 or .223, then get a .243 in years to come for deer!

• Like 1

As above . The only thing I would add is availability  and choice . The 223 is my choice of fox round and also .243 for longer daytime shooting . You will have more choice of rifle and ammunition in .223 simply because it’s a more popular caliber , your local gun shop will stock more ammunition in 223 than the others . Like Stavross said , tell them you buy stalking and want a .243 .

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, goldfinger said:

Thanks all for honest opinions, looks like being a 223 then,I here that 22.250 are barrel burners?. 

Never had any problem  with mine but I wasn’t putting 100s rounds through it , what you have to look at is how many Fox’s are you realistically going to be shooting a week , month ,year .

2 minutes ago, goldfinger said:

Thanks all for honest opinions, looks like being a 223 then,I here that 22.250 are barrel burners?. 

They are pretty fast, and noisy and more aggressive than 222/223.

Many who have them love them, how many foxes do you intend to shoot, barrel wear will undoubtedly be a bit more than slower calibres but don't let that alone sway your opinion.

Performance increments over a .223 are marginal, I use a .223 at 600 yards on targets without much issue, plenty of energy to stop a fox at that distance with .223 although I have never tried that far.

Why do you suggest 200 to maybe 300 yards, fox are easy to train, is there a reason you can't get them closer?

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Deker said:

They are pretty fast, and noisy and more aggressive than 222/223.

Many who have them love them, how many foxes do you intend to shoot, barrel wear will undoubtedly be a bit more than slower calibres but don't let that alone sway your opinion.

Performance increments over a .223 are marginal, I use a .223 at 600 yards on targets without much issue, plenty of energy to stop a fox at that distance with .223 although I have never tried that far.

Why do you suggest 200 to maybe 300 yards, fox are easy to train, is there a reason you can't get them closer?

The reason I say 200-300 max is that I sometimes get a educated fox and last year I had to give up on one because when he was in range of my .17 hmr the shot was unsafe footpaths to close and when it was safe he was always at those ranges and would not come in,the fields concerned are around 300-400 mtrs square, But I did enjoy the challenge,sometimes time is not on my side hence the center fire going on my ticket.

23 minutes ago, goldfinger said:

The reason I say 200-300 max is that I sometimes get a educated fox and last year I had to give up on one because when he was in range of my .17 hmr the shot was unsafe footpaths to close and when it was safe he was always at those ranges and would not come in,the fields concerned are around 300-400 mtrs square, But I did enjoy the challenge,sometimes time is not on my side hence the center fire going on my ticket.

The only thing is per every 100 yds the room for error increases maybe ten times!

Don't go off YouTube, they tend not to film the missed ones!

What ever you do, enjoy it otherwise it becomes a chore and it stops.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, goldfinger said:

Hi all, my FAO came around the other day to deal with my renewal I was requesting a 243 but was refused because I did not have deer on my land that wanted controlling,mostly the center fire caliber I'm after is for fox,on this renewal I am due to go on an open ticket but the FAO said that I might not get an open ticket on my center fire I thought this was strange ? but he would have to check and get back to me when I decide which alternative caliber to go for,this FAO he said was fairly new this role and was covering for a FAO on sick leave.

This brings me to decide which caliber now to go for 22.250 - .222 or 223 looking at ballistics chart they all look very similar up to 200 mtrs, my max range will be prob 300 mtrs but that I know is a long way I think I will be going for the 223 but I would appreciate any comments on foxing calibers before deciding.

I find not much gets up or is left with a 300 weathy mag ?

Edited by Gav
27 minutes ago, goldfinger said:

Thank you all again for your experienced advice.

Sorry my last quote was ment to be a joke, the .300 weathy mag I think is all but obsolete to the .300 win mag, I don't think you'd get a cartridge on your ticket that chucks 200gn projectiles at 3000fps+ for foxes.

However as other people have stated the.223 is quite adequate for the job, and a good true round for what you require, rounds are relatively cheap (even more so if you home load), all good RFD stock them, pretty sure its the NATO 5.56mm, so the answers are there. There are the 22-250, 222 and .22 Hornet and a lot of others that are good callibres, if you can get a chance to have a go you can make your own mind up.

All the very best and good luck ?

• Like 2