To shoot or not to shoot

Foxes are stunning creatures especially on a frosty morning. But they are every where now and booming so they have suddenly become a major pain in the arse. I have to be careful where I let the dog off lead now around here. 

So basically they need a dam good controlling same as the bloody badgers. The one we are lacking is rabbits 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You don't do this very often do you! This is a very common area I have to deal with, people keep a few chickens at home, almost as pets, the children commonly look after them and are usually firs

I shoot as Pest Control, I wouldn't get any work if I didn't shoot.  Why would you wait for a pest to grow up before stopping it?

I tend to look at it this way . I don’t like killing foxes when they’ve got litters of cubs . Because if you kill a milky vixen then unless you can find the earth and deal with the cubs they will star

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, terryd said:

Foxes are stunning creatures especially on a frosty morning. But they are every where now and booming so they have suddenly become a major pain in the arse. I have to be careful where I let the dog off lead now around here. 

So basically they need a dam good controlling same as the bloody badgers. The one we are lacking is rabbits 

The rabbit is in decline and this saddens me. Buzzards, badgers, fox, myxy and vhd. It's relentless for the humble rabbit.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Deker said:

You don't do this very often do you!

This is a very common area I have to deal with, people keep a few chickens at home, almost as pets, the children commonly look after them and are usually first to notice the carnage in the morning and get all upset.

That's when I get a call from distressed parents, they also commonly say just what you have, and add they have cleared up the mess and remaining bodies, only for me to tell them to put them back.  The fox will be back the following day in 90%+ of cases to collect the rest, he will take everything he can, what he can't actually bury he will cover with leaves or whatever as best he can.  The fox will NOT walk away from food unless there are exceptional reasons, the fox will eat a rotten carcass covered in maggots, he doesn't care, and has a cast iron stomach.

That is the reality.

I think you must have misread because that's pretty  much what I said, apart from in my experience, they often wipe out the hen houses or pheasant pens in 1 go for pleasure rather than a meal. There's no doubt when hungry they will eat and if birds are left, will be back given the opportunity. That's one aspect that makes foxes easy to shoot, they tend to follow known paths and frequent known food sources as you know.

That said, they're still not scum. They're a very nice looking and majestic animal with a high level of intelligence and cunning. They deserve the respect of those who take them down out of necessity.

Edited by Alsone
17 minutes ago, Alsone said:

I think you must have misread because that's pretty  much what I said, apart from in my experience, they often wipe out the hen houses or pheasant pens in 1 go for pleasure rather than a meal. There's no doubt when hungry they will eat and if birds are left, will be back given the opportunity. That's one aspect that makes foxes easy to shoot, they tend to follow known paths and frequent known food sources as you know.

That said, they're still not scum. They're a very nice looking and majestic animal with a high level of intelligence and cunning. They deserve the respect of those who take them down out of necessity.

Alsone, it isn't a secret we have history, and idiots with no FAC who come out with crap they read somewhere really piss me off.

How often have you ever shot a fox, let alone found one in a hen house/pheasant pen?  Answer NEVER!

I should say you never cease to amaze me, but with virtually nil experience, and quoting crap you heard/read somewhere you don't!

:thumbdown:

Edited by Deker
10 hours ago, Deker said:

Alsone, it isn't a secret we have history, and idiots with no FAC who come out with crap they read somewhere really piss me off.

How often have you ever shot a fox, let alone found one in a hen house/pheasant pen?  Answer NEVER!

I should say you never cease to amaze me, but with virtually nil experience, and quoting crap you heard/read somewhere you don't!

I take it you won't be asking Alsone for advice on the Magpie problem you have then Deker?

Deker, I've shot plenty with my mates rifle and several with a shotgun. I've also seen entire pheasant pens wiped out in a single night by a fox. (bar any that escaped). Why is it only your experience that counts? 

5 hours ago, Alsone said:

Deker, I've shot plenty with my mates rifle and several with a shotgun. I've also seen entire pheasant pens wiped out in a single night by a fox. (bar any that escaped). Why is it only your experience that counts? 

:laugh: 

It isn't only my experiences that count, it is the experiences of many here who have actually done it, and seen it, we don't read about it and then pretend to be an expert like someone on here does!

Your comments are so predictably from something you read it is unreal.

That is my final word on the matter to you, so feel free to enlighten me with yet another comment you read somewhere, I'll not be responding.

Edited by Deker
On 29/06/2019 at 20:12, Deker said:

Deker, just for balance, i have met many,many idiots WITH facs aswell. ?

• Haha 1
On 01/07/2019 at 10:29, Deker said:

:laugh: 

It isn't only my experiences that count, it is the experiences of many here who have actually done it, and seen it, we don't read about it and then pretend to be an expert like someone on here does!

Your comments are so predictably from something you read it is unreal.

That is my final word on the matter to you, so feel free to enlighten me with yet another comment you read somewhere, I'll not be responding.

Well this is my final word as well, I'm not going to get into a prolonged pointless argument. I know and have seen of instances where fox have taken birds for a meal and where they've simply killed them. Equally, sometimes an entire pen, sometimes not. Differing experiences.