How much rabbit to feed a ferret???

Well guys im going to get a ferret in a couple of weeks and just wondering on quantity to feed it. 

I can feed rabbit, pigeon and game (in season) 

So....  how much do i feed it without it being fat. I will be working it in winter next year and have a lot of rabbits to get rid of.

Any help would be appreciated

Btw anyone around st helens got a carry box for sale?  

Ferrets have a very small digestive tract and eat every few hours day and night and should always have food down mate so don’t worry about how much ... you need to get two ferrets as they are very playful animals that like company. Also two of them together will ply and keep themselves fit .......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Davetyler said:

Cheers guys i was thinking it would be hard to handle 2

Handling two is easier than handling one as they keep each other busy ......

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Davetyler said:

I was thinking of 2 at first but someone said just get one as i can handle it more one to one. 

everything socks has said. 2 Jill's play together keep each other company. just as easy to feed 2. 

Go for 2 Jill's, if u get a mix, i.e. Jill and hob, you will have to split them when in season.

Mine always have food down. I didn't get out at all over winter so they are on pigeon and pheasant at the minute. Also if I'm in shop and they have any meat on whoopsie I pick it up for them. If you are working them plenty they won't get 'fat'. If you put enough toys/tubes/wheel in there hutch/court they will exercise plenty anyway even if u don't get them out.

Best of luck. They are brilliant little animals and have different personalities. Fun to have about.

Thanks guys i was thinking of 2 small gills i would need someone with a vac hob local to me to take them out of season that could be a problem. Ive built a hutch 4ft wide so i think it will be enough room for them. I also have 10 metres of pipe looped so i can keep them busy. Ive been told its easy to put a ferret down a hole its hard to get it out.

• Like 1

I put a hole adult rabbit in with mine (6) and take it out 2 days later depending on time of year ie flies or temp or whats left. (I aways gut what i put in) if you dont youll find out what i mean, and empty birds crops too

When you feed them sqeak a dog toy so they learn foods coming, then when working them take the toy with you if reluctant to exit give a sqeak should come out.

Defo want 2 of the same sex especially when seasons over to keep them active put new stuff in with them. (New smells and textures like grass, leaves, boxes and sticks)

My main worker still gets bored by bout august, you can see it in her behavior, and looks at me like 'come on lets go'.

FF

Edited by Furrosious ferreter

As said there social animals get 2 jills and a hob and get him snipped , that takes care of any breeding problems and lets you work most burrows except the largest  i generally allow one ferret per ten holes as there could be miles of tunnels under ground . And its not a question of how much to feed them you got to work out that they can have access to meat 24/7 but remove it before it goes off especially during the summer