• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My siskins have picked up where they left off last year. Canaries are nearly all on eggs, goldies are messing with material and one pair of redpolls have started to build a bit too.  How's everyo

Only recently got into birds and have a pair of canaries,  hen sat on 4 eggs didn’t really expect all to hatch but all have 2 weeks old now and cocks feeding them all well ?? 

My goldies. The second round are due to hatch Sunday/monday.

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, cantona said:

Sound, my hens building but she’s still got black on beak, maybe early nests they haven’t quite finished getting rid of black.

Have you been giving them goldfinch an siskin condition mix aswell. Plus give them dog rose buds too another blackberry buds not the flower buds there not out yet just the green leaf buds. Elder berry buds too apple buds. Atb. Depending on what time of the year they was born too plays a good part. 

3 hours ago, gnipper said:

I've seen muling cocks doing the biz with black beaks but never owned one and pictures of wild ones feeding chicks with proper dark beaks.

Dandilions seeds give them black beaks and in the wild there be all over the dandilions like buggery so you lads should be out collecting the unopen seed heads by the carrier bag full.:yes:.A natural conditioner and a natural trigger food for nesting,get some live food into them finches as well lads and you will see the improvement,copy whats going on in the wild as there ain't any hard seeds out there,it's all buds/greenfoods,soft seeds and insects there eating...:victory:

• Like 3
20 hours ago, fireman said:

Dandilions seeds give them black beaks and in the wild there be all over the dandilions like buggery so you lads should be out collecting the unopen seed heads by the carrier bag full.:yes:.A natural conditioner and a natural trigger food for nesting,get some live food into them finches as well lads and you will see the improvement,copy whats going on in the wild as there ain't any hard seeds out there,it's all buds/greenfoods,soft seeds and insects there eating...:victory:

Live mealworm black crickets few wax worms now an then very rich in protein hafids too. With the black crickets I just squeeze them a bit to knock the wind out of them ?? stops them jumping all over an escaping. But your right need plenty of live food. A lot of lads loose chicks because of this not giving them live food special the bully's I give them pinkys too mushed up. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

Live mealworm black crickets few wax worms now an then very rich in protein hafids too. With the black crickets I just squeeze them a bit to knock the wind out of them ?? stops them jumping all over an escaping. But your right need plenty of live food. A lot of lads loose chicks because of this not giving them live food special the bully's I give them pinkys too mushed up. 

If the birds are waiting for the crickets as such then put the crickets in the fridge first for 10, mins and it slows them right down so they don't all just jump or run away..

• Like 1

I use a few frozen pinkies now and again but not many of my birds are interested in them, the siskins I had liked mealworms but the others weren't bothered.

Broccoli, petit pois and soak seed are more popular. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, gnipper said:

I use a few frozen pinkies now and again but not many of my birds are interested in them, the siskins I had liked mealworms but the others weren't bothered.

Broccoli, petit pois and soak seed are more popular. 

These are the 2 I use Nash pal an same for the bully's made by expert. I don't use soak seed I use this product  perle morbide. Think a lot of breeders use this now. Doesn't come with all the knock on effects that soak seed does if your birds end up ill. Had a few birds go toes up with soak seed. No good mate. 100g to 200g of water with this and it bulks up 3 times as much. 100g will do at least 200 to 250 canarys easy 

Screenshot_2020-04-25-09-13-46-1.png

21 hours ago, fireman said:

If the birds are waiting for the crickets as such then put the crickets in the fridge first for 10, mins and it slows them right down so they don't all just jump or run away..

A can't see the wife letting me put crickets in the fridge. ?? Ad end up with a sore head ? proper drilling lol. Never live it down and with this covid 19 going on a can't get away ??? cheers anyway mate. I only put two in a day of each meal worm wax worm crickets an hoppers too. So that's 6 each and a wax worm 6 times a week then I give them some tonic on Sunday that cleans them out of any parasites. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Coming on now, there was 3 but she knocked one out of the nest when I disturbed her, it seemed fine when it went back in but must have been hurt.

Fingers crossed the next round are all full and hatch.

20200519_105221.jpg

• Like 2