night vision

1 hour ago, pav said:

Pard 007 get the 12mm lens

how do you no he needs a 12mm lens ?   and i have tested 16mm and 12mm lens and 12mm gives you slightly more field of view but there is not much between the lenses

and i can get same distance with the 12mm as i can with the 16mm also i get the same close range with the 16mm as i can with the 12mm

It depends if you want close eye viewing or mini screen viewing.

I have a couple of Nitesite units which allow me to view quarry with both eyes open which suits me. When I tried a close eye unit, I felt a little unbalanced when I moved away from the NV but that's me.

Phil

I can only speak for the NiteSite Viper as it's the only one I've used, and then only for static ratting. It's good enough at limited ranges and it's inexpensive. Biggest drawback for me is the screen glare. Everyone's eyes are different but I found if I stare at the screen it leaves me blind as a bat in total darkness.

Also centering the picture and getting the right balance between target image and reticle focus can be a fiddle.

If I was buying again I'd definitely be checking out the Pard unit.

• Like 1

I use a Starlight Archer Gen 3 add on. Nice clear picture and with a night master 800I/R I can see further than I can shoot. 1 CR123 battery in it will last around 60 hours. I've got a Pulsar N550 digital scope as well, but I haven't used that for so long I don't even know where it is.

Just one other point here, firstly I need to say I have NO experience of even trying the Pard, Ward type of add-on BUT my concern is that my logic tells me that a non screen NV strongly suggests a compromise in scope position.

If a perfectly positioned day scope that fits you at optimum viewing for all daytime shooting then surely by sticking a 'view through' add-on to the rear of the scope must put your head out of normal shooting position on the stock.

I am assuming eye relief on Pard type units is the same as the day scope OR is the eye relief on these units almost zero therefore not being a compromise for the normal head position. 

I must have a look when we go up to the Harrogate show and see for myself.

Phil

54 minutes ago, philpot said:

Just one other point here, firstly I need to say I have NO experience of even trying the Pard, Ward type of add-on BUT my concern is that my logic tells me that a non screen NV strongly suggests a compromise in scope position.

If a perfectly positioned day scope that fits you at optimum viewing for all daytime shooting then surely by sticking a 'view through' add-on to the rear of the scope must put your head out of normal shooting position on the stock.

I am assuming eye relief on Pard type units is the same as the day scope OR is the eye relief on these units almost zero therefore not being a compromise for the normal head position. 

I must have a look when we go up to the Harrogate show and see for myself.

Phil

Phil we can all argue all day (and night) about good and bad about different nv it's up to what the individual preffers so is your head possision not compromised looking through nitesite.yes the dayscope has to be an inch or so farther forward but I'm not stretching my neck to look through in daytime if you can shoot a gun in daytime with no nv just scope there no reason why you can't shoot a gun at nite with a pard add on 

• Like 2