Lurcher Litters

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just too add but the pure Wheaton sire used was an out and out dog killer but the dog pup I kept has no aggression at all but fires into game. I was very edgy when he matured because my woman has 3 bi

Similar to myself i think id be quite happy with a casual mooch and possibly something for the pot during the week,but wouldnt be the end of the world if the dog caught nothing...simplicity is the goa

Not one was the same out the litters I done all different hights,builds,coat but on the mums side because they were close line bred the person that bred the dam they bred uniformed you could guarantee

Posted Images

the pups randomly take 50% of their genes from each parent, if the parents are pure it can only be bull genes etc, they don't all take the same genes and some genes are stronger. If the parents are crossed the 50% can be anything

Edited by Gilbey
daft phone
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Thanks for replies....so i gather its just pot luck that the pup will grow into the type of dog you was hoping for work wise im starting to understand what the different breeds add to the mix but just like looks,coat theres no telling what working attributes are going to be thrown in a first cross ?.....the variables being so great when crossing breeds im surprised people dont inbreed more in Lurchers is there a reason for this ?.....and what does f1 mean i keep seeing that pop up......interesting though cheers.

There is people that inbreed them and get good results personally im a fan of it its abit different to other breeds as your lurcher is crossbred to begin with. I dont think its the only thing to do but can lock in good traits if done right.

• Like 2

I personally think line bred or not makes little to no difference long as it’s genuine worker to work from proven workers from experience dogs that have a good number of seasons under them the same results can be add I personally like the racer type for my needs so the sight hound blood percentage always has to be slightly higher than base blood in there I think a good handler is the key to most good dogs for the owner to get the best he can out the dog 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, poxon said:

Bit of all really fella ground,train ability an knowing the type An there ability.deerhound greyhounds back then were a popular working xs 

I've always liked the deerhound I bird I knows got a deerhound, grey, bull that her dad works it's a cracking looking dog and good worker by all accounts. Are working deerhound a thing if the past as only seen stuff about them being ped? 

10 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Then they end up carbon copy of each other and then on to Crufts and oblivion.They are starting to register Bull Arabs here as a breed and are finding there way into pet homes and there ultimate demise.

I bet you didn't see that coming mate. How they gonna do it do you think with 2,3 groups? They all look so different. Hopefully it don't workout or that's more dogs fecked by a kc! Seen some really nice bull Arabs. Have you got any your self? Seen some really deerhound, englishbull looking ones before that looked real machines! 

20 minutes ago, Criss86 said:

I've always liked the deerhound I bird I knows got a deerhound, grey, bull that her dad works it's a cracking looking dog and good worker by all accounts. Are working deerhound a thing if the past as only seen stuff about them being ped? 

Like hens teeth these days there’s not much all for the use of them

1 hour ago, Criss86 said:

Shame really was they any good on small quarry mate?

They were used on anything my mates dad was telling me back in the day if it moved the cross would work it as you didn’t have like we have today dogs for set jobs as not many people could afford to keep more than 1or2 dogs 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Criss86 said:

I bet you didn't see that coming mate. How they gonna do it do you think with 2,3 groups? They all look so different. Hopefully it don't workout or that's more dogs fecked by a kc! Seen some really nice bull Arabs. Have you got any your self? Seen some really deerhound, englishbull looking ones before that looked real machines! 

I had one years ago,but never been right into pigging.My mrs used to run a chillers and caught pigs for a living,she always had huge, hard mastiff/dane types,one stage owned 23 of them.To my knowledge the original Arabs were Saluki,pointer,English bull terrier.I remember seeing them in north Queensland as a kid.Most now are Dane,bully,greyhound,pointer types.I don't know why they want to register them there just mongrel pig dogs.I've always been into terriers and running dogs as hunters.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Criss86 said:

A fair few pigdogs have deerhound blood in them here.The only pure working one I know of was owned by the people I got my original Russells off,it couldn't handle the foxing game so they got a greyhound/staghound.I always liked deerhounds but after seeing that one not work, it turned me off them as hunters.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, poxon said:

They were used on anything my mates dad was telling me back in the day if it moved the cross would work it as you didn’t have like we have today dogs for set jobs as not many people could afford to keep more than 1or2 dogs 

Sounds like they were handy all rounders shame no one's tried to restore them for work instead of a show ring! 

6 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I had one years ago,but never been right into pigging.My mrs used to run a chillers and caught pigs for a living,she always had huge, hard mastiff/dane types,one stage owned 23 of them.To my knowledge the original Arabs were Saluki,pointer,English bull terrier.I remember seeing them in north Queensland as a kid.Most now are Dane,bully,greyhound,pointer types.I don't know why they want to register them there just mongrel pig dogs.I've always been into terriers and running dogs as hunters.

Sounds like your Mrs had my dream job. Looks a right buzz hunting Hoga with dogs! Have they still got fellas out in planes drop poison bait or did they give up on that? Seems a stupid thing for a club to do with a dog like that but there full of them. Only like ped ebt and staffs when I was a kid ours looked different to todays! Did they not have deer or staghound in them or is that's yanks? 

27 minutes ago, Criss86 said:

Sounds like your Mrs had my dream job. Looks a right buzz hunting Hoga with dogs! Have they still got fellas out in planes drop poison bait or did they give up on that? Seems a stupid thing for a club to do with a dog like that but there full of them. Only like ped ebt and staffs when I was a kid ours looked different to todays! Did they not have deer or staghound in them or is that's yanks? 

It not as great as it sounds,same as roo shooting,day in day out,it gets a bit much.Alright as a sport.They still use 1080 baits here for pigs,wild dogs and foxes,a cruel death and poisons heaps of hunting and working dogs.Bull arabs are an Aussie creation,no deer or staghound in most lines of them but is in other mongrel pig dogs.We do have Aussie staghounds,but its getting hard to find the original deerhound/greyhounds(roo dogs) without other blood.

On 18/02/2019 at 02:07, Aussie Whip said:

Depends which way the genes throw, if you cross a bull with grey say.Some of the pups may have 75% grey genes and some may have 75% bull genes in the same litter some may be 50/50.So mongrel lurchers are hard to reproduce anything like similar unless you line or inbreed.I think doing that takes away some the fun of owning and working lurchers.

I agree ive seen even family bred pups that have copped virtually nothing of the family they are bred from simply because the starting point was so strong that those genes were locked in to the point that they didnt need their own blood to reproduce itself......with family breeding i always agreed with the theory that the best performance dogs usually came from the outcross of 2 inbred families.......and thats got me to thinking that with Lurchers that could almost be reversed being as how they are a cross to begin with,and not just a cross of families but a cross of different breeds altogether,their tolerance of inbreeding and reasonably close linebreeding would be generations and generations without losing too much.

• Like 1