Charnwood multi stove question

Ok guys. Since I moved here I have burnt those ovoid coals in my stove. The small ones little smoke and burnt pretty clean.

Well the price went up and a lot of people in the village recommended to try another coal man they use.

5bags for £80 as opposed to my usual £21 a bag. In fact was sick of being told "you're daft paying that from him"Anyway I took there advise and bought a half ton.

But I think I made a huge mistake. These ovoids are twice the size and burn just as hot but f**k me the smoke they spew out the chimney when lit is horrendous. And inside the fire is coated by a black tar like stuff. The glass doors too.

I often wondered what others burnt in Thier fires when i seen the smoke belching out Thier chimney.

Now I f***ing know!

Obviously im going to go back to my usual even though he's dearer. But I have a bunker full of this stuff to use first. Apart from the reek will it damage my fire? 

To give you an idea how I use my charnwood I have it up to the number 5 setting till it's going then I have always turned it down to 1. I always have doors shut.read it's always best to shut doors for ultimate effect 

Sorry for long post and hope it makes sense lol

Just don't want to f**k my fire up.

Oh and will that black coating on the fire walls go away once I stop burning this latest stuff. 

How big are the bags Scott? We use smokeless ovoids and they are £18 for a 50kg sack and the flue is spotless. 

You won't mess up your burner using the smoky stuff but get the flue cleaned when you've finished it up. 

At £21 a bag you would be better just running your heating flat out, I pay around a £10 for a 25kg bag of stove glow which is a nice slow burning coal small ovals, but I burn mostly wood that I cut and collect myself and if it's really cold a few handfuls of stove glow will keep it in all night with the vents shut right down in my main woodburner, I also have a smaller one in my weekend retreat and I can run that flat out on stove glow all week and it uses one bag 

4 hours ago, walshie said:

How big are the bags Scott? We use smokeless ovoids and they are £18 for a 50kg sack and the flue is spotless. 

You won't mess up your burner using the smoky stuff but get the flue cleaned when you've finished it up. 

50kg mate yea just had the chimney cleaned 2week ago. I'll get it done again once I've used these

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, scothunter said:

50kg mate yea just had the chimney cleaned 2week ago. I'll get it done again once I've used these

50k bags makes a bit more sense, I thought it was now illegal to bag anything up over 25kg due to health and safety lifting rules hence all bagged products like sand ,cement ,plaster etc are now only 25k though the cost never dropped as much as the content 

• Like 1

Run your stove till I gets up to around 500 degrees then shut it down a bit if you need to and when you feed it again give it full air till it gets going well. I got a load of none smokeless coal in great big lumps and get it burning pretty clean.i try to keep my stove in-between 200 and 400 ticking over and give it about a hour in the morning at full tilt to burn the crapl of. If the glass is sooting  it's not getting enough air. The only time I shut mine down is when I go to bed

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sid g said:

cant you mix the 2 coals scot ,,

Yea could do that mate. Im f****d if in throwing it away lol

I have opened up the vent as been suggested and it's actually a lot better. .

Still a lot of acrid smoke out the chimney but half the village is the same lol

In was under the false impression that those oval coals were all smokeless but after a bit of googling that is Very much not the case .

Anyway appreciate all the responses lads ?

• Like 1

I burn mainly logs but I buy a few bags of smokeless fuel from the range. 

I don't know much about temps or different fuels but I'd burn it as hot as you can if it's dirty stuff, letting it smoulder is what tars your flue up. 

I burn logs hot then throw a scoop of smokeless on last thing, get it going and then turn all the vents down. It's still glowing in the morning and the front room is warm ish. My brother is chimney sweeping and he bollocks me for letting it smoulder.....fck it I'll just get him to sweep it more often. 

I know a farmer, his son in law is a window fitter, all he burns is cut up wooden frames, complete with years of paint. He's only ever set his chimney on fire twice in 20 years ?

• Haha 1