First day on the shoot

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a small boundary day to start with, teaching them to fly, 39 shot, couple of pigeons and the kids had a go at the squirrels, had my top new beater with me, my mates little lad Hugo, he never left

Another fantastic day on the shoot, had a mate of mine shooting with us today from Lincolnshire ( Robin foxer off YouTube) and it was definitely worth his 3 hour drive to get here both him and his mat

A few more from the day

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Gooner said:

Good photographs and nice to see so many youngsters getting involved, out in the fresh air instead of sitting indoors on X box (or other) ?

5 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Lovely looking shoot mate. Nice to see a broad spectrum of ages in attendance too.

The kids that come are a rare breed these days, all free range, there’s not one that would swap a day in the woods for a day in front of the Xbox, it’s nice that they just love being there 

theres a range of age’s from my little beating mate Hugo who is 4 to and old boy that comes a couple of times a year who is 73, it’s not often that you find something that all age’s can enjoy together ?

• Like 3

Another fantastic day on the shoot, had a mate of mine shooting with us today from Lincolnshire ( Robin foxer off YouTube) and it was definitely worth his 3 hour drive to get here both him and his mate Richard had some lovely birds over them, very different ground to what they are used to down there way on the flat lands, 58 picked and maybe another 6 or so not found, beating teams done me proud today managing to lift the birds in ones and twos to give a steady flow, longshanx is proving to be a valuable member of the line ( cheers mate), no decent pics this time because for some reason my phone went flat 

B296F711-F7A1-4723-AC75-CEF81819577E.jpeg

8702DEB7-9F5E-4B2F-80BD-CFA26E77FD1B.jpeg

6723CF7F-F8A2-4832-A345-3B8DD9716877.jpeg

307484E0-E2AC-4F18-9F97-8BBB10DD5B3A.jpeg

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Gooner said:

Another good day, looks like a nice friendly small shoot, I think better than the big commercial ones well done.

Cheers mate, I’d agree with you that the smaller private syndicate are better because it’s about the day unlike some of the commercials I’ve been on where it’s just about how much lead they can put in the air, It’s the people that make the day not the shooting ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice pics Stavross . As mentioned by others , looks a nice friendly shoot. A good bag as well . I know shoots like yours where the beaters turn up and beat for no money, just a bit of food and a drink and the chance of a shot or two at the end of the season. Personally I would rather do my shooting at somewhere like that than a commercial shoot. But commercial shooting is alive and well at the moment, it provides jobs and money for the rural economy. I make a living from my keepering and loading and deer . I wonder how long it can last ? Big bags seem to be the problem . How big a bag is too big ? What is a reasonable number to shoot? I’m going to stick my neck out and say that for a team of 8 guns 200 is as much as you need. Any more and birds become less memorable and more just a target. I load on 500 - 600 bird days and I am usually double gunning as fast as I can during the drive . The thing is it’s exciting, and for those doing it it’s addictive. If you have the money and you are in business you can write off a day for you and your guests against your tax bill “corporate entertainment “. Love it or hate it , it’s here to stay for a while . 

• Like 3

Don’t get me wrong mate I’ve got nothing against commercial shoots, it’s a business and if they are sustainable and you have the money to do it then why not, we have a commercial shoot near us and it starts with the grouse in August and goes onto the partridge and pheasant, they were well know for very big days with teams of guns coming from America and Dubai, shooting the arse out of it but it’s these people that bring the money ( everybody wants to be a loader for them because the tips are mental) now that estate was sold last year for 12 million and the chap who has bought it wants to go for smaller days, I just hope it doesn’t affect the teams that come expecting 500 bird days as I know a few people who rely on the shoot season to make there living 

• Like 2
On 15/12/2018 at 19:17, Stavross said:

Another fantastic day on the shoot, had a mate of mine shooting with us today from Lincolnshire ( Robin foxer off YouTube) and it was definitely worth his 3 hour drive to get here both him and his mate Richard had some lovely birds over them, very different ground to what they are used to down there way on the flat lands, 58 picked and maybe another 6 or so not found, beating teams done me proud today managing to lift the birds in ones and twos to give a steady flow, longshanx is proving to be a valuable member of the line ( cheers mate), no decent pics this time because for some reason my phone went flat 

B296F711-F7A1-4723-AC75-CEF81819577E.jpeg

8702DEB7-9F5E-4B2F-80BD-CFA26E77FD1B.jpeg

6723CF7F-F8A2-4832-A345-3B8DD9716877.jpeg

307484E0-E2AC-4F18-9F97-8BBB10DD5B3A.jpeg

Your very welcome mate.Another great day out with great people. Can’t beat the sound of guns, the smell of gunpowder in the air and watching the birds drop???

• Like 1

I went up to the shoot this morning to take our landlady some flowers and a Christmas card up as a little thank you for all the shooting she allows me to do up there, so after 30 mins or so of listening to all her ailments and chatting about the weather and this and that I decided to have a little wander chuckling a bit of wheat about as I went, there’s still a lot of birds about in some drives and around the farm although they were looking a bit damp and sorry for themselves I think we could make a good day of it in a weeks time, only 3 shoot days left now, the season seems to go quicker each year, on another note I took the little.22 with me today and nailed a couple of squizzles to a tree, I must of seen over 30 when I was walking about so a squirrel day is on the cards at the end of the season ?

• Like 2

Another day on the shoot and what a lovely day it was, it would of been nice if 8 of the guns that didn’t turn up had of let us know but we made the best of what we had, we managed 38 and 2 woodcock, not bad for 5 a side and only half the beaters ?

1B7018F6-7CAE-4098-AE06-0EE794D79945.jpeg

E8D5C957-4C64-4C93-9848-6647B3B2F76A.jpeg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

Another day on the shoot and what a lovely day it was, it would of been nice if 8 of the guns that didn’t turn up had of let us know but we made the best of what we had, we managed 38 and 2 woodcock, not bad for 5 a side and only half the beaters ?

Sometimes it can be more fun with less people!

Looks like you had a decent day! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2