1 minute ago, Stavross said:

I’m definitely going to have a go at that in the new year, I know just the spot for it, so we could have a day on the pheasant and then put in a woodcock drive in the other side of the shoot  to finish the day off 👍

That’s very kind of you mate, look forward to it :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bell said:

You’d get a piece in jam at anybody’s door🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bell said:

Wil pm you mate

On 23/10/2018 at 21:33, Flairball said:

The woodcock season and migration runs a little differently, here. They are on the move, now. By mid-Nov they will be gone, having moved further south to their wintering grounds. The last two days I have gotten in to them good. Tough to kill, living in the really thick, young saplings, but fun to try. We moved 48 yesterday and today. I managed to put 4 in the bag. 

77E19587-A450-4A55-834E-D59F55CC458E.jpeg

BF90A7B7-CDED-4091-870B-176BB9C3BBEB.jpeg

Good shooting flairball 👍, a good sporting bird.

Is shooting woodcock at dusk legal in UK? As it’s not in Ireland, it’s quite frowned upon, I think it is due to when the Germans and French started to move to Ireland in the 70’s, they shot a lot of woodcock this way instead of hunting them up during daylight hours. Not that it bothers me btw, crack on and have a blast. 

1 hour ago, Wideboy said:

Is shooting woodcock at dusk legal in UK? As it’s not in Ireland, it’s quite frowned upon, I think it is due to when the Germans and French started to move to Ireland in the 70’s, they shot a lot of woodcock this way instead of hunting them up during daylight hours. Not that it bothers me btw, crack on and have a blast. 

No problem with shooting them at dusk, great sport flighting them ...

3 hours ago, bell said:

No problem with shooting them at dusk, great sport flighting them ...

I want to try this this season. Any advice mate?

Is it best to avoid popping at pigeons etc?

Edited by Born Hunter

3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I want to try this this season. Any advice mate?

Is it best to avoid popping at pigeons etc?

I really don't think it matters.  Certainly shooting at woodcock flighting out of woodland doesn't put off other woodcock coming out of the same spot seconds or minutes later.  You only have maybe a 15 min window when they flight but it makes for exciting shooting.  Try and pick a feature in the wood edge that will help funnel the birds out.  Fire checks are great for it.

• Like 1

The only time i saw woodcock was when the weather was hard they used to use the patches of gorse on the farm the rest of the time you never saw them 

I put up 3 yesterday while out digging. I'll have to go out a day this week to try for some. They are a great bird to hunt. 

Flighted a spot tonight on the edge of a forestry block on a west coast isle. The birds came out early and in the space of 15 mins I counted 12 woodcock over me including two pairs together. I stopped shooting and tried to pick a bird that dropped a way off otherwise I would have had a few more ......great sport and great tasting birds....

6E7E7290-12F7-4C67-B17E-680F2EAFC333.jpeg

5989EDD3-5718-4106-90A9-77715DC2BD3A.jpeg

• Like 3

On 13/11/2018 at 13:36, bell said:

I really don't think it matters.  Certainly shooting at woodcock flighting out of woodland doesn't put off other woodcock coming out of the same spot seconds or minutes later.  You only have maybe a 15 min window when they flight but it makes for exciting shooting.  Try and pick a feature in the wood edge that will help funnel the birds out.  Fire checks are great for it.

Had a go last night and saw f**k all. Ha.

Does wind direction make a difference? The wood holds enough woodcock to see something but I guess I could have just been in the wrong place. I stayed till about 40 mins after sunset.

7 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Had a go last night and saw f**k all. Ha.

Does wind direction make a difference? The wood holds enough woodcock to see something but I guess I could have just been in the wrong place. I stayed till about 40 mins after sunset.

Who knows BH......I don’t think wind will play a major part as they are travelling to feeding grounds.....once had a party of German guns who didn’t fire a shot and reckoned they’d seen nothing but ‘large bats’..........see any large bats BH ?......

:icon_eek:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bell said:

Who knows BH......I don’t think wind will play a major part as they are travelling to feeding grounds.....once had a party of German guns who didn’t fire a shot and reckoned they’d seen nothing but ‘large bats’..........see any large bats BH ?......

:icon_eek:

I had in mind to shoot large bats but saw none of those either. :laugh:

• Haha 1