The woodcock season and migration runs a little differently, here. They are on the move, now. By mid-Nov they will be gone, having moved further south to their wintering grounds. The last two days I have gotten in to them good. Tough to kill, living in the really thick, young saplings, but fun to try. We moved 48 yesterday and today. I managed to put 4 in the bag. 

77E19587-A450-4A55-834E-D59F55CC458E.jpeg

BF90A7B7-CDED-4091-870B-176BB9C3BBEB.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

woodcock are a fantastic bit of sport, we tend to shot them in late December to early January, provided they show in good numbers, it’s a bit hit and miss here from season to season, if the numbers are low we leave them alone 👍

Edited by Stavross

9 hours ago, Stavross said:

woodcock are a fantastic bit of sport, we tend to shot them in late December to early January, provided they show in good numbers, it’s a bit hit and miss here from season to season, if the numbers are low we leave them alone 👍

The last 3 years I’ve shot with friends in Yorkshire. I’ve seen quite a few woodcock on shoot days, but I’ve yet to connect with one.  This year I am coming over earlier, so I doubt I’ll see any, but I’m sure the shooting will be just as fun. 

• Like 1

A few have arrived here already mate, your luck might be in....

• Like 1

My shoot is in North Yorkshire near a town called Thirsk ( Sutton bank ) it’s on working forestry so the conditions for woodcock are near perfect, like bell said there’s a few about already so fingers crossed the numbers will be there in a few more weeks, like I said it’s a bit hit and miss and I have noticed the numbers dropping off over the last few years but sometimes you can push a drive through and more woodcock will come out than pheasant, best of luck with your shooting over here 👍

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stavross said:

My shoot is in North Yorkshire near a town called Thirsk ( Sutton bank ) it’s on working forestry so the conditions for woodcock are near perfect, like bell said there’s a few about already so fingers crossed the numbers will be there in a few more weeks, like I said it’s a bit hit and miss and I have noticed the numbers dropping off over the last few years but sometimes you can push a drive through and more woodcock will come out than pheasant, best of luck with your shooting over here 👍

Nice area you’ve got there Stavross, do you ever flight them coming out of the forestry at dusk ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Stavross you not that far, let me know if you ever need any rabbiting or terrier work done😁

Get back Katchum, you can have the rabbiting, Stavross any terrier work send it my way!😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bell said:

Nice area you’ve got there Stavross, do you ever flight them coming out of the forestry at dusk ?

I’ve never done that, but I like the sound of it👍

1 hour ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Get back Katchum, you can have the rabbiting, Stavross any terrier work send it my way!😁

Yep, his ankles knackered Stavros, best call me and Rabbit hunter :drinks:

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ve never done that, but I like the sound of it👍

Great sport mate, bit like duck flighting.......you get maybe a 20 minute window........pick a forestry block, preferably one with a fire check to channel the birds

BE6495CD-B0DC-4181-ADF1-697F46C4D754.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bell said:

Yep, his ankles knackered Stavros, best call me and Rabbit hunter :drinks:

I’m on mend now mate, might try steal ferrets back off me lad over weekend an try get out😀 or maybe try palm her off with me card in morning to go shopping herself an sneak out for an hour or 2🤣

48 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m on mend now mate, might try steal ferrets back off me lad over weekend an try get out😀 or maybe try palm her off with me card in morning to go shopping herself an sneak out for an hour or 2🤣

Aye, get yourself out, it’s gota be done...I’m away up north in a few days and stashing a ferret in the car at the last minute......she will never know....

51 minutes ago, bell said:

Great sport mate, bit like duck flighting.......you get maybe a 20 minute window........pick a forestry block, preferably one with a fire check to channel the birds

BE6495CD-B0DC-4181-ADF1-697F46C4D754.jpeg

I’m definitely going to have a go at that in the new year, I know just the spot for it, so we could have a day on the pheasant and then put in a woodcock drive in the other side of the shoot  to finish the day off 👍