Give it another couple of months to let the cover die back and the pup to mature then take it places there's rats. Get it chasing toys, rags, fox tails etc on a string while your waiting. 

• Like 1

Live trap some rats and show it them in the trap, it will sharp get it Gee'd up.

It's nice to read of someone with a Border and intending to do some work with it. As you are probably aware, Borders have a reputation for being sensitive and slow starters. In my admittedly limited personal experience of the breed I have found them to be no different to any other terrier. Having said that the 1st bite a dog receives from a rat, and it will get bit, can have a lasting impression and not necessarily the one you would hope for. Any 6 month old terrier is physically capable of killing any rat but mentally it may benefit from being given a little longer to sort itself out. This age for a pup is the time  to instil some basic discipline and breaking to any stock that it's going to come across. No different to any other above ground hunting dog.

As for the cage trap thing? If you do have access to a place where you can trap rats then personally I believe a terrier would benefit more from being allowed to have a mooch around. Chase them, probably miss them, learn to use it's nose, eventually it will catch 1. There are some real expert rat catchers on THL, have a look at their threads, they would be the lads give the best advice.

• Like 5

I’ve two of them, i would say they are better waiting til 9/10 months. Get them chasing stuff, like a fox brush on a flirt pole. Take the pup to places where rats go, learn the smells, see em running about

But as eastcoast said, the first bite is a big impression on a young dog, too early can have a bad effect. If you wait a little longer you’ll have years of ratting to go at with the dog!

If you can maybe let it catch a young rat first they a lot easier on a young pup better that than a big doe nearly size of a rabbit hanging off its nose it’s gonna take a nip or two when it starts and plenty of praise for the pup once it’s made the catch will do it wonders If possible go with a older terrier to show it the ropes nothing brings a dog on than a older mutt showing it the ropes  but a dog friendly one last thing you need is another dog nailing pup when it’s meant to be a fun time for the young dog 

The pup is to young, patience on your part will do more good for the pup, walk the hedge rows with it, sight, sounds, scents, socialize, let it catch afew rabbits this season, take the pup ratting next season, at the minute we are running 3 pups on hedging bushing pups are 12mts and 10mts, rats next season, atb with your pup,

• Confused 1