8 minutes ago, Arry said:

Oh mate You have to do it once, they got so much info, wish I had a chance. If you still have that big one could you turn it over a take a photo of the under side.

Cheers Arry

His english aint great neither is my polish.things will be lost in translation and that could be deadly.

Will take photo of his next lot or if i'm back same time as him tomorrow.

• Like 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out for a forage to day, the first Cep of the year and a few more Boletes some Field Mushrooms, a few Chanterelles. A Blackening Polypore (not that good to eat). First Cep   Black

Arry in his early days, picked the wrong mushroom 

They look great ?.. I always bail out of eating wild ones in case I'm wrong and they're poisonous ? ... This year I've got braver I try them twenty mins after the Mrs does ?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ginger beard said:

I would not of eaten them if i'd seen them.i've never seen mushrooms like it,i thought he meant the white ones.

The orange birch boletes i want to eat on its own.see if it taste different.the big orange ones above it have no stork,just that.

Yep he loves his forraging,they all do.saturday 5 o clock he's up and on his way out even though its pitch black.i aint getting up that time.its what he's always done.good man is jarak.

Most of them just pick the dealer sorts the good from the bad and in ther native lands the cook them different  the only way to get a true test is a spore print think about even the field / horse mushroom has an imposter ?? Enjoy lol I been eating ink caps for years and only found out other day that if you drink wine with them you lucky to leave the room ?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The "Hedgehog mushrooms" starting, this is a good one and safe, well worth keeping an eye out for. These were growing in under Beech and Oak trees in the leaf litter we also find them in Fir tree woods. Easy to identify as they have spikes on the underside of the cap instead of gills. They hold there texture when cooked as well. Did post some last season, but just in case any body is interested.

P1200443.jpg.dfc82fab763a2b66a690afa4251dd677.jpg

You can see the spikes and how easy they just brush off, which I do before cooking.

P1200446.jpg.f0f68d6a8a235aec089346a6ebfb48ed.jpg

Usually this creamy buff colour on top or a light terracotta.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
On 07/10/2018 at 14:18, jiggy said:

Can these be eating and are they both the same type. They were on the same log. Found them today.

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

The first one I think is "Sulphur Turf" its NOT edible and can cause serious gastrointestinal symptoms. The second may be "Brick Cap" which I have not tried. But if it is and I'm NOT SURE they can be eaten and are supposed to be quite good. Put those names into google and click images. have a look only if you are 100% then try one.

Sorry can't help more.

Cheers Arry

Looking again I think they are all "Sulphur Turf" DO NOT EAT.

Edited by Arry
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Arry said:

The first one I think is "Sulphur Turf" its NOT edible and can cause serious gastrointestinal symptoms. The second may be "Brick Cap" which I have not tried. But if it is and I'm NOT SURE they can be eaten and are supposed to be quite good. Put those names into google and click images. have a look only if you are 100% then try one.

Sorry can't help more.

Cheers Arry

Thanks that's my first time to pick anything except for field mushrooms. That's my career as a botanist in tatters ??? I won't be eating them so.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, jiggy said:

Thanks that's my first time to pick anything except for field mushrooms. That's my career as a botanist in tatters ??? I won't be eating them so.

Try some of the easy ones mate. Have a look at this site. Try Ceps, Hedgehogs mushrooms, Giant Puff balls, Oyster mushrooms and Chanterelles. I try to learn one or two each year. Atb.

https://www.wildfooduk.com/articles/wild-mushrooms-for-beginners/

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Arry said:

Try some of the easy ones mate. Have a look at this site. Try Ceps, Hedgehogs mushrooms, Giant Puff balls, Oyster mushrooms and Chanterelles. I try to learn one or two each year. Atb.

https://www.wildfooduk.com/articles/wild-mushrooms-for-beginners/

Cheers Arry

I do see lots of different types of small ones. I kicked away 3 giant puffballs last year thinking I couldn't eat them ?. They will be ate next time. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FLATTOP said:

Hello Arry any ideas what these are mate I was gathering some apples today for a bit of cider making and these were growing at the base of an apple tree.

24707FAB-956B-4059-AD9C-F8F73263FE7D.jpeg.1965490d5c731f0a305f1b20916de899.jpeg

FDB7BBF7-3585-44DE-9A37-8B43530492D4.jpeg.1911cda9f824433b36fd21c48a60e54f.jpeg

645D22A9-B5C9-46EE-8CF4-51D32BED0026.jpeg.a460df81dc71a3754f66d8ad9f57d28c.jpeg

Mate I honestly don't know. I don't eat any of the little white ones with white gills as some are very deadly. If I had to guess it looks like one of the "fibre cap" types which I think are all poisonous, If it was me I would leave. Make sure you explain to any kids not to touch. Sorry I'm not much help. I just stick to the ones I know leave the rest and try and learn a new one or two each year.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Arry said:

Mate I honestly don't know. I don't eat any of the little white ones with white gills as some are very deadly. If I had to guess it looks like one of the "fibre cap" types which I think are all poisonous, If it was me I would leave. Make sure you explain to any kids not to touch. Sorry I'm not much help. I just stick to the ones I know leave the rest and try and learn a new one or two each year.

Thanks for taking a look Arry they did look a bit suspicious and I did swerve, it’s that skinny stalk that had me curious, I found them in an old 100 year old orchard which is close to me it’s got a bit of history soldiers returning from WW1 started it and it’s still giving although this year the apple harvest was well down on last year surprisingly. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FLATTOP said:

Thanks for taking a look Arry they did look a bit suspicious and I did swerve, it’s that skinny stalk that had me curious, I found them in an old 100 year old orchard which is close to me it’s got a bit of history soldiers returning from WW1 started it and it’s still giving although this year the apple harvest was well down on last year surprisingly. 

My apple tree was loaded last year, this year it had one and that fell off when it was still little,Lol. I had a lot of Bullfinches in think they might have had the blossom buds. Was a very dry summer as well. Keep an eye out for other stuff in a 100 year old orchard should be some thing there. Had a few "Field mushrooms" a "Horse mushroom" and a hand full of "Chanterelles" today, so its not over yet. Alb.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
8 hours ago, steve66 said:

Brilliant thread, whats the brush on the opinel knife  arry ?

Its for brushing off loose grit and dirt the mushrooms before you put them in you basket. Steve, save washing them as some get soggy if washed. It's like any hobby more you get into it the more gadgets and kit you want. Used to use an ordinary Opinel and take a little paint brush.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1