Game prep process...

So Im getting it in the ear this summer from the mrs about bringing bugs home and preping in the garage. I dunno why, done it since we've been here.

Anyway, I wondered what your lot of prep processes were? Say you've bagged 2-3 rabbits. 

Do you prep in the field? Back of the wagon? Or take home the carcasses to prep at home? The final bits like, taking the coats off etc.

Id gut and wee um out in the field, and then they go in me game bag. Back home, in the garage, with the dog, take skins off etc and double bag any bits that I need to get rid of.

But I might need to start doing that in the field.

I piss them as soon a I pick them up.

Then tie them up somewhere while I carry on.

I gut them just before leaving - this is when I also check the liver's (I leave them in), then they go into a bag, in the boot of the car and, into the fridge when I get home.

The next day, I sort them in the kitchen - heads and feet off, skin off, spread the back legs and cut out the arsehole etc in 1 triangle.

That all gets double bagged, with the ribs, and put in the wheelie bin.

The legs and saddle all get washed, bagged up and put in the freezer.

Then, I'll cook the liver. If the dogs are lucky, they get some, if not, I eat it with some English mustard :thumbs:

Shoot it, gut it ,,coat off

wrap in cling film ,,,strait in the freezer when i get home

why take shit home when you dont need to

plus less wait to lug around

only takes mins to do

why take the sh*t home with you

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Shoot `em,wee them out hang them up to grow cold and de-flea a lot.

Bag up.

Take the rabbit home, guts an`all as i don`t want to train foxes to look for free meals on my rabbit perms.

Prepare rabbits after close inspection of the internals, wash them well, dry them, then wrap and freeze.

338262709_IMG_0054(1).thumb.JPG.3ef6d82257d489a6104b3c3de306069d.JPG

• Like 1

I do mine in the field the woodys make to much mess when you take them home ,the rabbits wee them jacket off the bits I don't want when gutting them I throw in the bottom of the hedge there never there next day

57 minutes ago, j j m said:

I do mine in the field the woodys make to much mess when you take them home ,the rabbits wee them jacket off the bits I don't want when gutting them I throw in the bottom of the hedge there never there next day

Exactly Jeff, the foxes are never away once they pick up on guts regularly being left for them.

Geoff` the head keeper in my youth always taught me to take rabbits in their entirety and leave nothing behind when shooting rabbits for the table.

If, however, you are on rabbit control over some land, then yes field dress the rabbits as the fox fast becomes your ally in your quest to control rabbit numbers but you`ll have foxes forever and a day doing this and far less rabbits.

Your choice :hmm:?

atb  Mark.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mark williams said:

Exactly Jeff, the foxes are never away once they pick up on guts regularly being left for them.

Geoff` the head keeper in my youth always taught me to take rabbits in their entirety and leave nothing behind when shooting rabbits for the table.

If, however, you are on rabbit control over some land, then yes field dress the rabbits as the fox fast becomes your ally in your quest to control rabbit numbers but you`ll have foxes forever and a day doing this and far less rabbits.

Your choice :hmm:?

atb  Mark.

Your comments makes sense Marko. I get what your saying. In fact it makes perfect sense.

A Fox is a creature of habit, and a superb predator... so why give it the tools to become the apex on the permission. However, do you think it effects the rabbits throughout the day? For example, and as my own example, i only shoot rabbits between 6 and 9.30, surely there more receptive to dogs throughout the night than worry about such predators through the day light... I get what your saying, no doubt. I suppose I’m on the line of thinking that the rabbits have to go above ground, with predator around or not. Be it fox, or pellet...

If I was a rabbit, I’d prefer to risk it and no one be there with a clinical pcp, than I would at night with a fox. I can out run a fox, but there might not be no one around with a rifle. 

5 hours ago, Rez said:

Your comments makes sense Marko. I get what your saying. In fact it makes perfect sense.

A Fox is a creature of habit, and a superb predator... so why give it the tools to become the apex on the permission. However, do you think it effects the rabbits throughout the day? For example, and as my own example, i only shoot rabbits between 6 and 9.30, surely there more receptive to dogs throughout the night than worry about such predators through the day light... I get what your saying, no doubt. I suppose I’m on the line of thinking that the rabbits have to go above ground, with predator around or not. Be it fox, or pellet...

If I was a rabbit, I’d prefer to risk it and no one be there with a clinical pcp, than I would at night with a fox. I can out run a fox, but there might not be no one around with a rifle. 

Your permissions are safe for rabbits then :laugh:

• Like 1

i always bring everything home complete rabbit wise if we are ferreting my son guts them into a black bin liner in a metal bucket and that goes into the council bin with all the dog crap and ferret shavings while i do the collars and hang up the nets . If we are lamping  i leave them in the garage in a big plastic box till i get up the next day  i gut them into plastic tubs put a lid on them and build them up at the side of the garage to be used as fox baits whils snaring my son will bag each rabbit in its jacket in a poly bag and build them in the freezer for the ferrets , If pigeons i just cut the wings off and put 3 in a poly bag for the ferrets  

10 hours ago, The one said:

i always bring everything home complete rabbit wise if we are ferreting my son guts them into a black bin liner in a metal bucket and that goes into the council bin with all the dog crap and ferret shavings while i do the collars and hang up the nets . If we are lamping  i leave them in the garage in a big plastic box till i get up the next day  i gut them into plastic tubs put a lid on them and build them up at the side of the garage to be used as fox baits whils snaring my son will bag each rabbit in its jacket in a poly bag and build them in the freezer for the ferrets , If pigeons i just cut the wings off and put 3 in a poly bag for the ferrets  

I gut all mine in the field, only takes a few seconds, go back next night or so, and wait for the fox,  

13 hours ago, 3175darren said:

I gut all mine in the field, only takes a few seconds, go back next night or so, and wait for the fox,  

Sometimes do that as well but  easier putting a bucket on a run punch a few holes in the lid and a snare either side  just depends where about and how much time ive got 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, The one said:

Sometimes do that as well but  easier putting a bucket on a run punch a few holes in the lid and a snare either side  just depends where about and how much time ive got 

Yes I agree, very productive when done right