Partnerships..

Right lads, let's try not to make this another Sunderland thread... but...

was watching something called premier league legends last night... bought back a load of memories of some of the great players in the prem's earlier years..

started thinking about the partnerships, that really worked (particularly strikers) Yorke and Cole, Bergkamp and Henry etc....as 2 upfront is soooo old fashioned now if you could pick a front pair from any premiership strikers... who would it be?

they need to suit each other....

mine would be Cantona and Henry...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, that prediction was bollocks wasn’t it ! Lol ? 

Never heard of him ,but I can guess who he played for 

Wayne Rooney and RVN In their prime for me  rooney is And was in my opinion the only truly world class English  Striker for a long long time, could play on the hoof , in the hole , as a target ma

Posted Images

Ronaldo (the original and still the best) and Henry.

Both could play on the shoulder or drop deep and run at defenders, both the fastest you will ever see with the ball at their feet, both could actually play football so would provide for each other.

Edited by WILF
Fat fingers !
  • Like 3
31 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Phillips and Quinn 

Phillips won the European Golden Boot off the back of that partnership and Big Niall was class as well ?

Ffs Max you can't help yourself can you... lol

12 minutes ago, blackmaggie said:

Shearer   robbie fowler would be my first choice 

Both great finishers, but I'm sure they played together at international level and it didn't click...

yet look at the Sheringham/Shearer partnership.. it worked perfectly..

mind you Sheringham was such a clever player, he'd be able to play with anyone..

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, WILF said:

Ronaldo (the original and still the best) and Henry.

Both could play on the shoulder or drop deep and run at defenders, both the fastest you will ever see with the ball at their feet, both could actually play football so would provide for each other.

Now that is mouthwatering...both pure class and I agree... Ronaldo is the best I've seen play football... unstoppable when at his best..

• Like 1

Wayne Rooney and RVN In their prime for me 

rooney is And was in my opinion the only truly world class English  Striker for a long long time, could play on the hoof , in the hole , as a target man. Ball to head or feet , few were better at one touch and go than him in his early united days. 

Rvn rwgularly scored goals he had no right to , ive mentioned it before but in a very tight away game to Basel he magicked two goals to win out of nothing , as in nothing 

that’s irreplaceable imho 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

rooney is And was in my opinion the only truly world class English  Striker for a long long time, could play on the hoof , in the hole , as a target man. Ball to head or feet , few were better at one touch and go than him in his early united days. 

Rvn rwgularly scored goals he had no right to , ive mentioned it before but in a very tight away game to Basel he magicked two goals to win out of nothing , as in nothing 

Good shout that mate 

1 hour ago, dytkos said:

SaS Shearer and Sutton :thumbs:

Tosh and Keegan weren't bad either.

Cheers, D.

Premiership D, I know you're getting on a bit but Tosh and Keegan ffs!! Lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Rooney and Ronaldo on the break were unplayable, if only Ronaldo stayed!!

RVP was one of the most single minded, selfish if you like strikers ever, great finisher who lived to score goals..

im not sure Rooney and him would be a natural fit tbh, he could've easily bought the worst out of a young Rooney lol

Bergkamp feeding RVP..... now that could work!

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, smithie said:

Dont forget suarez and sturrage

I’m trying to work out if you are taking the piss ? ........this was a thread about strikers and you said Sturridge? Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Rooney and Ronaldo on the break were unplayable, if only Ronaldo stayed!!

RVP was one of the most single minded, selfish if you like strikers ever, great finisher who lived to score goals..

im not sure Rooney and him would be a natural fit tbh, he could've easily bought the worst out of a young Rooney lol

Bergkamp feeding RVP..... now that could work!

Nah too slow for me that pairing mate . 

To move on a bit , “unplayable” is a great term

at some stages of strikers careers , they are truly lethal and you can see the fear in a defenders eyes regardless of how good they are, at varying times, drogba, rvn , rvp, Suarez Henry et all have all had these patches , but personally , I don’t think he was the greatest striker by any means , but when he was in his stride , no one inspired fear Like a Fernando Torres , 

quick, string , selfish, direct , I wonder what turned his head from the prize?

• Like 1