CITB CPCS plant

Hello

was just wondering if there are any plant operators amongst us, 

im a plant operator by trade and Amongst my myriad of machines I can operate , setvice and maintain I only have one ticket for 360 tracked excavator I can ostensibly go and drive on a civilian work sites 

at present I am working through a list of quals etc I would need to see me right with a blue card on a number of machines . 

Now im not being big headed but I’m pretty decent in excavators, loading shovels, back actors, light and medium dump trucks , rollers and bobcat types . 

Dozers and graders can f**k off lol 

my problem is for example take a loading shovel and the bobcats . 

I have over 2000 logged hours for both pieces of eqpt , these are my bread and butter , I have operated both all across the world , and am often required to use night vision in complete darkness  working to high specifications in them. I’ve built runways, reinstated infrastructure and delivered high end construction aid in them throughout the past decade . 

But it for me to get the blue card for the loading shovel will cost me nearly 2 grand in fees and the beat part of a year to gain! 

Madness 

does anyone here recommend a particular machine to waste my money in ? 

What categories are in demand ? 

Any help greatly appreciated 

Yes and no socks mate 

175 per annum slc don’t go very far in the world of cpcs I’m afraid mate , it won’t even get you trained on a circular saw !!  

3 x 2000 elc sounds promising but with my intentions of staying in , I’m better off sticking that towards nebosh / Iosh Certs rather than using it towards a qual that costs a grand as it’s a one off payment .

we get one cpcs from training unbelievably so the lads that leave are better equipped than the ones that stay as ours goes ood with that machine rapidly ..

its genuinely money for old rope as well to get the cards , just another tax on the trade 

No mate that’s all out of the water now .

i know, it’s infuriating 

for example if I get a red card on  shovel , which costs around 1200 for the course , I have two years to sit the nvq to get the blue card or I need a refresher ! 

if in that time I sit the nvq And pass it , I have then 5 years of operating before a refresher ! 

Absolutely disgusting the money involved 

f**k it , I might try and get the assessors qual 

have a look at the banksman/ slinger course and also crane supervisor ......decent dollar in that gig brother.

But, personally, I think building site work would drive you insane !.......especially those big sites.

The jobs full of absolute f***ing pigs and small town Napoleons ;) 

Facilities management brother and the ABF will help you into a roll after too.

• Like 2

They are all in demand at the moment, tracked excavator, forward and rear tip dumpers, blades, graders, you name it, if I had the choice of only one over everything else, it would be tracked excavator, none of the others work without the excavators.....

However, it depends on where your heart is, what you looking at going into, some good money for blades on road work, good money for graders as well, but track exc not so good.

every man and his dog has track tickets, myself included, but it's my bread and butter work so I don't mind the input to keep them, where as my blade ticket runs out next year and I probably won't bother with it again, I sold my last blade when the local landfill scaled down, I had 2 blades full time on there and done ok from it, was worth having then, but not anymore, my tracked ex can be moved around the country, housing, roads, all manner of infrastructure, farms, ditching, lakes,, he'll we even do archeological digs, blades are a bit more limited, as are rear tips.

track ex and dumpers will always find work, and most decent firms will keep you upto date with them if you join with them, unless you want to go out as a sub i.e. Then best of luck, it's pretty cut throat on rates, and winning the work from the big guys on the better projects isn't easy.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, WILF said:

have a look at the banksman/ slinger course and also crane supervisor ......decent dollar in that gig brother.

But, personally, I think building site work would drive you insane !.......especially those big sites.

The jobs full of absolute f***ing pigs and small town Napoleons ;) 

Facilities management brother and the ABF will help you into a roll after too.

Good advice, and nail,  head and hit,  springs to mind

• Like 1
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

No mate that’s all out of the water now .

i know, it’s infuriating 

for example if I get a red card on  shovel , which costs around 1200 for the course , I have two years to sit the nvq to get the blue card or I need a refresher ! 

if in that time I sit the nvq And pass it , I have then 5 years of operating before a refresher ! 

Absolutely disgusting the money involved 

f**k it , I might try and get the assessors qual 

An assessor is the way to go, lots of people (too many in my opinion) in the building trade get a good screw without even getting their hands dirty.

Become a trainer yourself if you can thats where the money is. Bloody CITB used to ripe me off. When it all started to come in I argued with them when they told me I had to have licences for this and that. Asked them if there are no dumper drivers were did they get their drivers from. Luckily I got most licences on granddads rights but  every year they invented another licence in the end you needed one just to fart. Out of it now i'm retired but always said training others is the way forward if you can't beat them join them. Good luck mate.

Cheers Arry

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Arry said:

Become a trainer yourself if you can thats where the money is. Bloody CITB used to ripe me off. When it all started to come in I argued with them when they told me I had to have licences for this and that. Asked them if there are no dumper drivers were did they get their drivers from. Luckily I got most licences on granddads rights but  every year they invented another licence in the end you needed one just to fart. Out of it now i'm retired but always said training others is the way forward if you can't beat them join them. Good luck mate.

Cheers Arry

That's it mate... there is money in building at the minute as everyone is building, adding infrastructure etc.. but it's gonna get hard again soon, train to get off the tools.. always money in training and health and safety... you need to write a risk assessment to have a shit these days..

• Like 5