Sign in to follow this  
ollieollie

New perms at the end of the season

As a lot of us are aware this year has seen a drop in numbers for the ferreter. So its sods law that i have picked up 2 new permissions today and yesterday just as we are coming to the end of the season. One is a 5 acre paddock with 3 good active warrens on it and the digging will be ok, it is also surrounded by land so further opportunities are very possible once i am noticed. The other is a plant nursery with a huge wooded bank that is like the london underground, this could be a very productive perm by this seasons standards but the digging will be most unfavourable.

I will work them hard into march(until it becomes unbearable) to show i am serious and leave a good impression and then lamp with the air rifle(nothing bigger is suitable) periodically to keep my foot in the door. 

Why couldn't this happen in october   

you always get a load of phone calls from new permissions as the rabbits start breeding and folk see the young rabbits about and think they have loads of rabbits , i find its best to make a appearance and snare or trap if you cant ferret the burrows and lamp it at night  anything to get your foot in the door and fill the freezers with rabbits for the summer for the ferrets 

Just be thankful that it has.. a chance to fill the freezer for the off season 

• Like 1

Surprising how many farmers and landowners see you ferreting next to their land and ask you to do a bit for them.You soon pick up some permission.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bairn79
      Anyone selling or Best place to get a mk1 locator collar from
      cheers

• By bairn79
      Wanted
      Ferret finder & collar at a reasonable price 
    • By vin
      Hello all.
      Tested one of the young hob kits out yesterday.
      I tried one of the Jill kits last week and she was a natural, Straight down and rolling around with a bunny in the net after 5 mins and all fired up for some more etc.
      Yesterday I took one of the hobs out to see how it performed. 
      1st warren he was a little hesitant about going down into the dark depths  .... but he went in and came out nice and steady with no drama and no bolts.I put the older hob in to check and it was empty.
      Next Warren, A good mark off the dogs and I put him in behind the older hob, He followed along and they bolted a few quickly. The dogs picked a couple up and the ferret came out jumping and dancing like a mad banshee chuckling away, just like his old dad (Mr chuckles). I picked him up and calmed him down and boxed him up. I did a few more with the older ferrets, But on my way back to the motor the dogs put one to ground in a nice little 4 hole warren on a slightly raised mound etc. I thought...Nows the time little man to see what you can do. 
      I dropped some nets down and popped him in... 2 mins later a rumble and a grumble and then a loud sqweeeek... he had got it good and proper... I went over to the hole and the bunny was backing out with the Hob attached to its snout...lol. I dispatched and detached and after he'd made sure it was dead he was off back down the hole... 2 mins later no bolts...locator out and he was just over 2 foot down stuck to a bunny's back-end scratching away with his furry mittens on. I was chuffed to bits when I got him out and sort of backfilled the tube he was up whilst removing the rabbit. He went back in again like he was on a mission and less than a minute I could hear one complaining rather loudly about him chewing its face... another 2-foot dig and rabbit 3  in the bag and one very happy and contented little hob..he seems bigger and older today when I look at him in the hutch with his siblings.  I think he's going to be a decent grafter after a season or 2. Most folks tend to leave them till they're a lot older to work them etc... I would rather know if they are up for it 1st and then fine-tune the rest as we go along. No point feeding it for a year or more to find out it's not very good below ground. Now, all it needs is a bit of work but not too much that its likely to sicken it etc.

I think this one is a keeper. . .  The best thing about him is he's so laid back. . . He's the quietest of the pack so far. . . I have 2 others that are full on mad for it...lol 
    • By JMHunt1
      What’s everyone’s experience with their kits first hunt? 
      Thanks
    • By matt the lamper
      Just got back off holiday mother in law looked after them for me and they was happy I was back. Cracking ferrets best 3 ever had .. they will do me proud again this winter when we're out. Good around the family too apart from the wife grumbling about the stink!!!! As she calls it. Both me boys love them and this proves they become part of the family as well as good little workers