Feeders built and put out, bring on the vermin...

quite a few have been seen around the release pens but not much bait has been eaten.

A132CFFF-93A8-4F95-845B-E6B407FF85BE.jpeg

AC65DC24-180A-4343-9077-F7234CDE3662.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good luck with your feeders.

MITCH, can you please put up a photo of your feeder matey, that was a bit special and now that I have more woodland, I need to get a few made up.

Phil

• Like 2

Squirrels will chew through the wood like on mine did so i made these

about £ 7 to make , 

IMG_0885.JPG

• Like 5

Thats it Mitch, many thanks, I am going to copy these so a trip to the builders merchant needed.

Phil

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, philpot said:

Thats it Mitch, many thanks, I am going to copy these so a trip to the builders merchant needed.

Phil

Tool station  is cheaper on the stop end and coupler  .If you know and builders they should have bits underground pipe (12" long / 300 mm )

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Construction+Materials/d210/Builders+Metalwork/sd2797/Timber+to+Timber+Joist+Hanger/p49953

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p75782?table=no

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p28543?table=no

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, villaman said:

about £ 7 to make , 

IMG_0885.JPG

I'm liking that a lot, and I have all the bits in my shed to build a few, thanks for sharing that, just what I need.

• Like 2

Paint it with some Cuprinol, It'll last longer. If you haven't already, drill some holes to let the water out of the ledge or It'll get very wet and cause the wheat to soak up. The wheat won't 'flow' out when it's wet. I put beading, like plasterers bead, on the edges of my feeders as well, this stops the squirrels from trying to chew their way in if the feeder runs out of wheat. Once they know they're there they'll come from miles around, it's like a Mc Donalds for 'um! :-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villaman said:

about £ 7 to make , 

IMG_0885.JPG

Looks good 👍

3 hours ago, PLEDGEY said:

Paint it with some Cuprinol, It'll last longer. If you haven't already, drill some holes to let the water out of the ledge or It'll get very wet and cause the wheat to soak up. The wheat won't 'flow' out when it's wet. I put beading, like plasterers bead, on the edges of my feeders as well, this stops the squirrels from trying to chew their way in if the feeder runs out of wheat. Once they know they're there they'll come from miles around, it's like a Mc Donalds for 'um! :-)

Plaster beading is a great idea. I did think about putting holes in the bottom, just thought I’d give it a week or so.

18 hours ago, rick12345 said:

Plaster beading is a great idea. I did think about putting holes in the bottom, just thought I’d give it a week or so.

The perching area on mine are very small , just big enough for a squirrel to sit on. They are also higher up the trunk of the tree. I set up a trail camera to see when and how many squirrels were coming to the feeder as there seemed to be a lot of wheat being eaten. When I played back the footage I saw that Pheasants were sitting on there and eating loads. My Mrs has seen a Deer down on one that's near the house.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PLEDGEY said:

The perching area on mine are very small , just big enough for a squirrel to sit on. They are also higher up the trunk of the tree. I set up a trail camera to see when and how many squirrels were coming to the feeder as there seemed to be a lot of wheat being eaten. When I played back the footage I saw that Pheasants were sitting on there and eating loads. My Mrs has seen a Deer down on one that's near the house.

Was kind of hoping it might attract a few corvids too...

As has been said, the Squizzers will destroy the wood when the feed runs out. Knocked up a couple more last week using some old floorboards, a bit of mesh and a bit of tin lying around 

20180131_123335.jpg

• Like 1