Looking For A Pup

i am looking for a new pup as the young dog i have now just simply hasnt got the pace i need, so ive made the desicion to cut my losses and look for another pup to bring on. the pup ive got here now is just turned 18 months.

i am looking for a pre ban allround type of dog 25tts plus just incase the ban gets lifted, if anyone is planning or knows to anyone thats planning any future matings would you be kind enough to let me know. i like my herding types generally but my be willing to give a plain old lurcher to lurcher bred dog ago providing its from good working parents.

ideally i want to be staying away from bull blood. and not a massive lot of collie, but for this 1 dog i will remain open minded.

ive got a couple of options in mind but it means breeding myself and to be honest i would just rather buy a pup in.

speeds not every thing, knowing you id say it was heart. the pup will get stronger and faster,id say once again you have not learnt by your mistakes,why don't you be honest and say what you really want, alsatian x or are you scared you might lose a few fans,knowing what to do and putting it into practice is two different things.
. Mistakes I feel come in different views I think choosing wrongly mistake to much to soon mistakes ,but trigg here states the dog lacks a gear ,it will gain speed has you say right up till around three yrs old ,but will this be enough I believe a mans take and belief of his animal to be respected for just that and if he believes he ain't gonna hack it speed wise that's how it his.he running him.and it his what it his and one should respect the mans word atb bunnys
When it comes to starting pups at work, patience is more than just a virtue, it's an absolute necessity. Don't care what type or cross you have, running rabbits at 4-5 months old is foolish and impatient, and you'll quite possibly curtail the potential adult speed. stamina and working longevity of the dog. And I don't mean 4, 5, 6 runs a couple of times a week, a few times is all it takes to ruin the dog's potential. Seen it plenty of times over the years, pup starts to get a little bit of pace about it, and they're all keen as f**k, so owner thinks 'great' let's get him/her some runs'. Why?! Wait until it's starting to mature a bit.

Not singleing trigger2 out, but surely, any pup, especially one that was as big and gangly as his pup, should be left til it's older before giving it any runs at rabbits.

. Look it's like this i don't believe it's got anything ta do with knocking a rabbit or 2over I believe the animal was doing that from a very early age ,and in some circumstances I agree ,but getting out and about early don't necessary mean running the guts out a pups freely with older animals,I will say it again there be times we see and it sticks and fa this animal that may be the case it's no big deal ,only the brave that move on reap the rewards eventually. There's nothing worse than some folk that keep lurchers da a decade and more disliking the animal each and more every day ,and believe me there's a few of these on here they had running dogs some of them decades and only had a small handful of animals now fa me they are either the luckiest b*****d in the world or ain't asking fa much from them or ain't got the balls or the balls ta declare a failure. It takes a good man to remove animals kept and reared from welps ta retry again like we says there's dog men and those that keep dog.and Triggs a dog man.atb bunnys.

Getting any pup out and about is fine, but running them on 5, 6, 7 or however many on the same night aint gonna do any pup any good. And I never said running the guts out of it, which incidentally, running a 5 month old pup on that many aint far short of running the guts out of it.

No one is going to agree on every aspect on when to start a pup, and I agree with you, keeping a dog which isn't what you expected, or you just dislike is stupid. But again like I've said, and not just trigger2, could be anyone, running a pup that young is a little silly

its nothing to do with the dogs age,take an 18 month old out for the first time unfit. take a pup out from 8 weeks it will be months before it starts chasing hard , by that time it should be super fit. what ever you do you most use you brain,one thing i do know running hard when your fcuked rates high when it comes to pain

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There you go trig

Trigg.... Not telling you how to suck eggs or owt, but if you went down that road wouldn't you end up with something very similar to the young dog now ?

Getting any pup out and about is fine, but running them on 5, 6, 7 or however many on the same night aint gonna do any pup any good. And I never said running the guts out of it, which incidentally, r

Posted Images

I believe there's no issues with the dog running stuff it's lacking top end speed that's how the threads posted,and I suppose yas right Shropshire hold vast amounts of rabbits in given areas and it could be quite easily to give a young animal to much to early and it takes the edge off them but I'll say it again I am led to believe speed his the reason trigg looking for another welp.personally my idea of getting a dog out and about early doors may be different to others ,my grandson got a young bitch here twelve mths old ran two rabbits will it have a detriment to it no chance prey drive through the roof but there yas go will he be leaving it to late not a chance it may get a little bit a ferreting when the cover drops so by then around fifteen mths it will go to work , has the animal been about much every day twice a day he exercised her.but well aways from game .etc.and I agree with your post there's animals with natural ability and if so each to let things run away with ones self but hey we all live and learn some sort work out fa yas some don't and I'll say it again one must go by what the mans says and no matter what or how the approach ,one would not make the animal any faster, atb bunnys.

I believe there's no issues with the dog running stuff it's lacking top end speed that's how the threads posted,and I suppose yas right Shropshire hold vast amounts of rabbits in given areas and it could be quite easily to give a young animal to much to early and it takes the edge off them but I'll say it again I am led to believe speed his the reason trigg looking for another welp.personally my idea of getting a dog out and about early doors may be different to others ,my grandson got a young bitch here twelve mths old ran two rabbits will it have a detriment to it no chance prey drive through the roof but there yas go will he be leaving it to late not a chance it may get a little bit a ferreting when the cover drops so by then around fifteen mths it will go to work , has the animal been about much every day twice a day he exercised her.but well aways from game .etc.and I agree with your post there's animals with natural ability and if so each to let things run away with ones self but hey we all live and learn some sort work out fa yas some don't and I'll say it again one must go by what the mans says and no matter what or how the approach ,one would not make the animal any faster, atb bunnys.

I get what you're saying, and you've sort of agreed with me, running a pup too young WILL take away some of it's adult potential speed. And running a 12 month old pup on two rabbits is a completely different ball game to running a heavy 5 month old pup on 5, 6 or seven rabbits a few times well brfore it's ready

I think like this I don't agree that a pup will lose speed because it out and about at eight or six weeks old I have a alsation xs bitch six yrs old here been out and about just four weeks old ,now carrying g a welp about seeing sights sounds introduction of the big world .now if a dogs carrying a injury from a early injury in its growth period this could have a massive factor on its possible overall finished speed ,this animal of. Griggs his Lurcher Malinois ,they were never gonna be speed merchants but has stated workable lurchers . Anda he little twelve math bitch his predominately whippet different approach to upbringing one hates a yapped and running them early in forestry and cover at a young age ,will certainly get ya this. Hence different types at times need slight different approach to avoid this .atb bunnys

• Like 1

I think like this I don't agree that a pup will lose speed because it out and about at eight or six weeks old I have a alsation xs bitch six yrs old here been out and about just four weeks old ,now carrying g a welp about seeing sights sounds introduction of the big world .now if a dogs carrying a injury from a early injury in its growth period this could have a massive factor on its possible overall finished speed ,this animal of. Griggs his Lurcher Malinois ,they were never gonna be speed merchants but has stated workable lurchers . Anda he little twelve math bitch his predominately whippet different approach to upbringing one hates a yapped and running them early in forestry and cover at a young age ,will certainly get ya this. Hence different types at times need slight different approach to avoid this .atb bunnys

No, no pup is going to lose speed by getting them out and about at a young age. All pups, bred for working or otherwise, need to get out and about, but he was RUNNING IT AT 5, 6 AND SEVEN etc on the lamp, at 5 months, that WILL run the speed off a pup.

That's it, I'm away to walk the camel :thumbs:

• Like 1

What is the speed like on other pups if they are all slow its not down to trigger starting pup early. If others are fast dogs you now whats gone wrong

What is the speed like on other pups if they are all slow its not down to trigger starting pup early. If others are fast dogs you now whats gone wrong

the one bitch killed long ear daytime single winter plenty rabbits around twelve mths killed since now. They older ,the fawn male killed 2single daytime wide ad winter last time round also likes teeth loves heavy teeth it could be his early injury because speed improves has we know with age the males round bens size etc very quick aways and hangs on .it does seem he started so well and dropped off ,but like trigg says he just ain't got the speed for him atb bunnys
  • 2 weeks later...

No, no pup is going to lose speed by getting them out and about at a young age. All pups, bred for working or otherwise, need to get out and about, but he was RUNNING IT AT 5, 6 AND SEVEN etc on the lamp, at 5 months, that WILL run the speed off a pup.

That's it, I'm away to walk the camel :thumbs:

a pup going out early, theres a good chance they will be faster,any dog that as their guts run out of them will start to lose heart,they then slow down because they are not really trying,i hope you understand now

• Like 1