Striking

Anyone had a young dog not quite learning how to pick up.

My bitch is keen enough but rabbits constantly running into the hedge I'm a little worried it may sicken her.

Her last 5 or 6 slips have been on sitters when out lamping.

like most will tell you on here, the more they do the better they will get , thats day/night, but being honest i think regards strike/timing/agility it either in the dog or not . Both my 2 dogs have great strike on them, and more so in my younger dog , he big dog but picks rabbits easy, just keep taking the dog out thats all you can do . :yes:

• Like 2

Confidence is a clean strike,

It's a dog at ease with himself and his surroundings because he knows patterns of movement

, dogs don't need to be fast to catch bunnies they just need time to tune into their movement and know when a strike is likely to pay dividends ,

had plenty of half crosses that would put much faster mutts to shame because of their use of the hedge to catch game

It don't happen overnight

Edited by Casso
  • Like 2

Make up a flirt a pole and use it. Do not over do it 5 minutes max when starting off. Give the dog some success of grabbing it a long floor and also use it to help with retrieving. Keep lamping as well and hopefully it will come together. Be patience and good luck.

She has caught he first rabbit, first strike, I'm over the moon. Patience has payed off.

Took my time with her, only slipping her on sitters when lamping, I will still keep to only slipping her on sitters till I think she's cracked it.

Edited by kennymc

She has caught he first rabbit, first strike, I'm over the moon. Patience has payed off.

Took my time with her, only slipping her on sitters when lamping, I will still keep to only slipping her on sitters till I think she's cracked it.

if its caught one its cracked it onwards and upwards pal atb
  • 2 weeks later...

Well since her first rabbit she's started picking up, even retrieving back to hand but last night she's gone and hit the barbed wire and ripped her leg quite bad. I've had her to the vets to be stitched so looks like she'll be laid off a few weeks...

Well since her first rabbit she's started picking up, even retrieving back to hand but last night she's gone and hit the barbed wire and ripped her leg quite bad. I've had her to the vets to be stitched so looks like she'll be laid off a few weeks...

The rest will do her good pal because she will come back more enthusiastic