After our rottie cross gsd died last year we have been thinking of getting another big dog it will mostly be a pet but want it to gaurd the house too , the wife has her hart set on a Doberman has any one had any experience with them ? Don't want to rush in to anything, are the inports better then uk dogs ? What they like with kids live stock etc ? Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was gifted a Saluki in saudi, and when it died, the guy sent me a Doberman as a replacement. Not a breed I would otherwise have had, but it would have been churlish and disrespectful to have re

Had one years ago it was mental..... It was like having Mr blobby in the house clumsiest thing I've ever seen

That's ideal for most isn't it?   last thing you want is some courier dropping a package down the side of the house or a kid who's climbed your fence after a football getting badly injured,or worse.

Posted Images

Like a lot of guarding breeds they are now a poor imitation of what they once were.

I looked for a decent shepherd, rotweiller etc for ages, Christ there's some shite out there.

I opted for a boerboel, looks the part and a very switched on guard.

Probably one of the few remaining breeds not totally fcuked up that can still do a bit.

My first wife's brother had 2 Dobies.

He found them hiding under the bed, after they'd helpfully sat and watched burglars ransack the house !

what happened to them?

He kept them, as I recall. They were only ever pets in the first place.........on the other hand, the current Mrs BB's sister had one that was f***ing terrifying !

I just wanted to point out that, like SBTs, maybe their fearsome reputation isn't entirely deserved ?

That's it I don't want a show pony but on the other hand I don't want a monster just some think sensible, I loved our rottie cross shepherd but she don't want another the same !

Thanks for replying

You could do a lot worse than a good SBT !

Loyal, brilliant with kids, but absolutely fearless, if the 5hit hits the fan !

• Like 1

Like a lot of guarding breeds they are now a poor imitation of what they once were.

I looked for a decent shepherd, rotweiller etc for ages, Christ there's some shite out there.

I opted for a boerboel, looks the part and a very switched on guard.

Probably one of the few remaining breeds not totally fcuked up that can still do a bit.

spot on mate , :thumbs: like i said on my post the Boerboel is prob the best of the guard breeds out there today . But the thing puts me off them is the price , and you still get health probs with them , and the other breeds rotties,gsd,mastiffs , bullmastiffs, dobs etc if i really wanted a pet and guard dog , i get a well bred gsd from proper working lines East Europe , with these you get good more healthy and good solid temp, a nice male pup be spot on and alot cheaper than a Boerboel , you get good gsd for £ 600-800 quid .

• Like 2