Mink In Strange Places

Went for a walk around outside of large landfill site with the two terriers this morning always get a rat or two knocking about young bitch gave a good mark under a large sheet of plywood whistled old bitch over and lifted sheet boy did I get a shock young one straight under and as soon as she shot under a very large dog mink came out attached to her nose it didn't last long with pair of them. I just wondered if any found them away from water in strange places as closest stretch of water is over a mile away

• Like 2

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The mink is much faster than even the sleekest ferret ,will dart about like a stoat . I reared one with ferrets in a large aviary once and the difference was there to be seen .As for use as a hunting

Rippon, you are talking of something you have no first hand experience of. Lads here are brought up ferreting so they know a thing or two about them .Ferrets will drag stuff out of holes but it's not

Went for a walk around outside of large landfill site with the two terriers this morning always get a rat or two knocking about young bitch gave a good mark under a large sheet of plywood whistled old

Robbusher seen one the other morning about two miles away from a river on the only problem was another mile up that road we have our pheasant pens must of been looking for a lift that way ? I'm sure I'll see him in our traps during the week not our pens

i saw one about five years ago in my sisters garden the neighbers had all been kicking off about the carp in there ponds going missing for a few months

she lives in the middle of the town and a good few mile from the nearest stream or river

They had a couple on aire and wharfe in last year or so young bitch two and half now it loves anything that gives a nip back my worst thought is there's quite a few otters about now and if she finds one laid up somewhere she has no reverse gear and I can imagine what state she would end up in and once she up to it I know she wouldn't come out unless it firmly in her mouth

Yes mate north yorks when first started keepering nearly thirty years ago I caught twenty one mink under a bridge on a small stream and every single one was a bitch mink amazingly there was a mink farm in the seventies not far away weather that had a factor not shure have only seen one dead on the road in the last couple of years but plenty of otters run over has to be the reason for the decline of the mink in this area anyway

No i don't. Not a big thing over here. But i watch alot of youtube vids on it. Because it intrest me. But i can see the difference between the 2 and the way they hunt. I been thinking about getting a mink to start hunting muskrat's with the kid. We have alot of them we're from. The minkery guy has vids on his minks catching fish, muskrats, even big birds. There super smart and a tough killing machine.

The mink is much faster than even the sleekest ferret ,will dart about like a stoat . I reared one with ferrets in a large aviary once and the difference was there to be seen .As for use as a hunting aid it failed miserably ,not for lack of killing as that's all it did so had to be dug wherever I put it whereas the ferrets bolted most .It wouldnt entertain rats though but did catch a duck when trying her for rats along a stream .The whole lot was let free from my set up by some scrote who cut the wire .Ferrets stayed local but mink was never seen again .I got the mink when out with the Ytene mink hounds on the Avon near us when they dug a spot and found a litter about a week old .I took two kits and went straight home to see if a Jill would rear them and she took to one but not the other after I rolled them about in the bedding .It would race up the wire and down the other side in the blink of an eye and could run up your cloths to sit on your shoulder .Always ate alone .

• Like 6