Bull Terrier As A Hole Dog

Can the show stuff referred to be traced to earlier uses of the type though as no breed starts off as a show pony .

To call them show lines is a little mis-leading because what they were in fact were dogs bred for work but I.K.C. registered , but most never seen a show ring.

Up until 1966 some of the Irish breeds couldn't become Green Star show champions unless they'd been certified game at a trial ran by the I.K.C.

In the Wheatens case the trial was badger.

Then the K.C. stopped running trials in '66 and the trials fell into the hands of the working dogman and were opened up to Staffords, Engish Bulls as well as the others and all their various crosses.

But a lot of the old timers still registered their dogs with the K.C. through habit as well as the fact it made them more valuable , so YES most of the old lines of proper game bred Staffordshire bull terriers can be traced back to the 20s and 30s.

• Like 5

Neil I hope your not in one of your argumentative moods today! Haha

Nope, it's my birthday and not going to annoy myself.

Besides, if I was in an argumentative mood I'd be over on the "Toffee" thread. I see The Canary is on there now making assumptions on someone and their terriers who he knows nothing about or ever will.

He doesn't need me to make a fool of him, I'll leave him to do that himself.

Happy bday

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

Working lines DogMan, they're still out there and in the right hands too.

It's a pity a few peddlers got their hands on them a few years ago but they're still out there.

One little red Staff we used to dig to ,Dutch, was around 18 lbs if I remember correctly and if you crowned in behind him he'd be lying on his back with his four feet on the roof of the tube and his mouth full. He was a cracker and safe with terriers too.

In those days we always started in July and often went for a pint (although I was too young to drink) after digging and we'd leave the van outside the pub with the windows open for the terriers bu we used to bring the strong dog into the pub in case of an accident.

A muddy bloody strong dog and no one would look twice.

My job would be check on the dogs in the van every few minutes.

Lord, I miss my strong dogs.

"Dutch" as a old fat dog ,,,he was one of the smallest Staffords Iv seen ,,,, if the same "Dutch" you mentioned..

any post you put up is always good post mainly from years ago I enjoy your photos fair play

• Like 3

Well I think the guys dog was a American pit but could have been a staff never really could tell them from a pit the main questions for me was a pit or staff could have the noise to track under the ground and if it was normal for one to pull the game out of the den