Bow Hunting

Wow I'm a convert! Has anyone tried it? I know it's not permitted in the UK, but I'm sure there are some lads on here that's done it?

I dragged my family along to the Belgian hunting expo yesterday, which was in a venue in Gent (lovely city). One of the stands was the Belgian Federation of Bowhunting. They had a range set up & you could have a go with a compound bow, with a little chat free of charge.

Well within a few shots I was hitting a life size model of a Mouflon in the kill zone at 15m, maybe not so impressive, but with a bit of practice???

These guys that hunt regularly, were practicing at 80m at tennis balls!

I think I'm going to have to get fluent at one of these bloody languages over here so I can pass an exam to get my hunting licence! Haha.....

• Like 8

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow I'm a convert! Has anyone tried it? I know it's not permitted in the UK, but I'm sure there are some lads on here that's done it?   I dragged my family along to the Belgian hunting expo yesterda

Banned in the early 60's I believe. Not sure though. I know it's stamped on the Wildlife and Countryside Act. We were fed the bullshit that it's cruel, and with no frame of reference, I believed it, u

This is impressive, I'm sure you are well aware of this guy, but it's all new to me....;-) 

Posted Images

I must admit it's something I'd love to have a go at shame it's not aloud in the uk as it's something I'd be all over that and bow fishing. I've watched loads of YouTube vids on it there's a feller shoots Asian carp as they jump out the water and calls jackrabbits shoots em with a bow.

I must admit it's something I'd love to have a go at shame it's not aloud in the uk as it's something I'd be all over that and bow fishing. I've watched loads of YouTube vids on it there's a feller shoots Asian carp as they jump out the water and calls jackrabbits shoots em with a bow.

It's only permitted in Wallonia here, not Flanders where I live. I think the Flemish guys just travel down to the Ardennes to hunt. It's a complicated country.....

• Like 1

If you do ever travel to try it let us know how you get on I think with practice they are handy tools seen vids of fellers shooting pheasant and geese on the wing but the dove hunting with a bow is something else never seen owt like that in me life.

If you do ever travel to try it let us know how you get on I think with practice they are handy tools seen vids of fellers shooting pheasant and geese on the wing but the dove hunting with a bow is something else never seen owt like that in me life.

Even if I do, I'm years away mate. I have to be fluent first in either French or Flemish & then pass a hunting exam. It's not like the UK here, where practically anyone can get a shotgun licence & crack on......Here, you actually have to know a bit ;-)

Edited by Accip74

Even if I do, I'm years away mate. I have to be fluent first in either French or Flemish & then pass a hunting exam. It's not like the UK here, where practically anyone can get a shotgun licence & crack on......Here, you actually have to know a bit ;-)

What does the Belgian permit consist of?

Good luck with it, itll be a great achievement ;)

I got my bow hunting ticket here, but it was like a lecture and then a bash.

It's something I really want to take up. Alas every time I try I get dragged back into work and it eats more of my time away. I want to be proficient at it and that requires time and practice. It's not something I want to take lightly at live targets.

I don't know specifically mate. To officially hunt anything here with a gun you need to pass the exam & that covers Bowhunting. I get the impression the exam is a broad test of hunting & fauna knowledge, which can't be treated lightly?

I don't know specifically mate. To officially hunt anything here with a gun you need to pass the exam & that covers Bowhunting. I get the impression the exam is a broad test of hunting & fauna knowledge, which can't be treated lightly?

Did you have to outlay much for a decent Bow?

Germanys test is very hard im told, french one werent that hard, I faile the practical 1st time round though :haha:

Did you have to outlay much for a decent Bow?

Havent got a bow, just got the test done for the future as it will get more stringent & more expensive.

• Like 1

Germanys test is very hard im told, french one werent that hard, I faile the practical 1st time round though :haha:

I don't think the Belgian one is a push over, but nothing is easy here....haha