Call Outs

Three call outs in the last few days, two for lamb killers and one for a poultry thief.

Circumstances mean I'll have to sort all three with the gun or lurcher.

Was out a few mornings ago looking for a chicken killer for about two hours after dawn with no success.

When I got back to my van here was a vixen dead on the road about 100 yards away. Someone had done it for me.

Turns out the vixen killed on the road wasn't the culprit as the fox made another raid yesterday.

So this morning as it was just bright I was sitting at the back of the farm yard with my lurcher.

At 6.30 the fox walked straight towards me. He had the ditch 5 yards to his right but when he seen the lurcher heading for him he made for the open field.

Bad move.

Turns out it was a small dog, so between him and the barren vixen killed on the road I have no cubs to worry about.

I'll tell they farmer this morning they can let the fowl out and hopefully they'll be safe, please God.

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chinese man was right. Nothing worse than eating stink pussy

It is a sense of achievement because when the culprit is gone there's a good chance you don't get the call for a while. Truth be told there's no fun in it at all...overweight terriers, unfit terriers.

Had a call out last Sunday and used my 10 month old bitch pup to great success . Received a call yesterday from the keeper saying he has 5 separate farms for me to work he was impressed

Posted Images

Three call outs in the last few days, two for lamb killers and one for a poultry thief.

Circumstances mean I'll have to sort all three with the gun or lurcher.

Was out a few mornings ago looking for a chicken killer for about two hours after dawn with no success.

When I got back to my van here was a vixen dead on the road about 100 yards away. Someone had done it for me.

Turns out the vixen killed on the road wasn't the culprit as the fox made another raid yesterday.

So this morning as it was just bright I was sitting at the back of the farm yard with my lurcher.

At 6.30 the fox walked straight towards me. He had the ditch 5 yards to his right but when he seen the lurcher heading for him he made for the open field.

Bad move.

Turns out it was a small dog, so between him and the barren vixen killed on the road I have no cubs to worry about.

I'll tell they farmer this morning they can let the fowl out and hopefully they'll be safe, please God.

Good result there Neil! Nice one
  • Like 1

Hopefully.

Have another farmer to visit in the morning who's loosing lambs and I've walked the land a bit recently.

There's no sign at all on most of his land and there's a couple of deep occupied Badger setts so I reckon his Fox problem is coming from 40 or 50 acres of real rough land. It's just furze growing from between rock so it'll be interesting to see what it holds.

There's an old abandoned portacabin in it that a few years ago hounds put one under and when I stuck a terrier in a brace and a half bolted.

So there's a potential solution, LOL.

Hopefully.

Have another farmer to visit in the morning who's loosing lambs and I've walked the land a bit recently.

There's no sign at all on most of his land and there's a couple of deep occupied Badger setts so I reckon his Fox problem is coming from 40 or 50 acres of real rough land. It's just furze growing from between rock so it'll be interesting to see what it holds.

There's an old abandoned portacabin in it that a few years ago hounds put one under and when I stuck a terrier in a brace and a half bolted.

Hopefully.

Will you be relying on dogs only then Neil??

Hopefully.

Could be old brock doing the killing ,wouldnt be the first .

• Like 1

I'll be bringing the gun with me and just sneak around the furze and hopefully bump into him.

It's big lamping country so the first fox I see will most likely be the culprit. Also because of all the lamping calling will probably be a waste of time.

As for the badger killing lambs, I know damn well, but I did have a good look around the setts and I think the trouble is coming from the other end of the farm.

I'm not long of the phone to a friend from county Carlow and he's been after a lamb killer for the last week or so. He says he shot her last night. A vixen, who'd killed 10 lambs and he got her by sitting watching her latest kill. A two week old lamb.

I hope you didn't mind me asking Neil! Interesting to know how others handle a lambing call. I know we all hate the call out but unfortunately it has to be done! When you do get the culprit got to be honest it is a real sense of achievement. ATB with your next mission!

• Like 1

I'll be bringing the gun with me and just sneak around the furze and hopefully bump into him.

It's big lamping country so the first fox I see will most likely be the culprit. Also because of all the lamping calling will probably be a waste of time.

As for the badger killing lambs, I know damn well, but I did have a good look around the setts and I think the trouble is coming from the other end of the farm.

I'm not long of the phone to a friend from county Carlow and he's been after a lamb killer for the last week or so. He says he shot her last night. A vixen, who'd killed 10 lambs and he got her by sitting watching her latest kill. A two week old lamb.

I know a lot do be lamp shy Neil. But you'd be surprised how fast they come to a call at first/last light. I've done it several times over the years here. Just not practical some methods with fields of young lambs. It can be to warm sometimes to drop a terrier, Hounds for me are a no no this time of year. All mine are stock broken but guaranteed fox will head straight through the middle of the young lambs. So daytime calling is an option I use a bit
  • Like 2

I hope you didn't mind me asking Neil! Interesting to know how others handle a lambing call. I know we all hate the call out but unfortunately it has to be done! When you do get the culprit got to be honest it is a real sense of achievement. ATB with your next mission!

It is a sense of achievement because when the culprit is gone there's a good chance you don't get the call for a while. Truth be told there's no fun in it at all...overweight terriers, unfit terriers...terriers that's gone from regular work to nothing at all for a month or so then back at it for a call out, it just never seems to go straight forward

• Like 4

I'd love to get the few call outs I have now done properly because they're folk who look after me and keep their stock right.

It can be a struggle to get up at 5.30 but when you're out these mornings it's well worth it. To see the other wildlife and take in that early morning air is a reward in it's self.

Hunting aside it's my favourite time of the year.

• Like 3

I'd love to get the few call outs I have now done properly because they're folk who look after me and keep their stock right.

It can be a struggle to get up at 5.30 but when you're out these mornings it's well worth it. To see the other wildlife and take in that early morning air is a reward in it's self.

Hunting aside it's my favourite time of the year.

With you all the way there mate!
  • Like 2

I know a lot do be lamp shy Neil. But you'd be surprised how fast they come to a call at first/last light. I've done it several times over the years here. Just not practical some methods with fields of young lambs. It can be to warm sometimes to drop a terrier, Hounds for me are a no no this time of year. All mine are stock broken but guaranteed fox will head straight through the middle of the young lambs. So daytime calling is an option I use a bit

I agree 100%. The amount of messers who lamp at night because there's nothing on TV or they don't want to got to the pub has ensured that calling them in is easier at dawn, especially if a fox has had a lean night but we should keep that to ourselves, :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling: ..

I don't think it's something we've to worry about though because most of the gadget geeks will never enjoy a dawn properly IMO.

• Like 1
post-93038-0-15480300-1492294881_thumb.jpg found and tried this burrow today. Sheep country and lambs.had same experience as what yous said above. Ruff cover with plenty of places. Heat and dogs fitness and hard to know. Got a mark up the bank from the first burrow. Dog dug himself in , in the end. I didn't get them and was dodgy for the dog