Bolting Babies

Lots of small movement underground this morning, no doubt buzzing around in nests (judging by how fat one of them was when they eventually came back out again!)

Had 4 bolt that were possibly 4 - 6 weeks old, dog caught one, ferret snaffled another and dragged it back under.

I think I've got footage of the lurcher grabbing hers but need to check the gopro that was hanging on her collar and see if it caught it or not.

Happy in what way?

It's a little bittersweet for me. I've got a knackered shoulder so digging hurts like hell and these hedgerows can be hard enough to dig at the best of times let alone when the ground starts drying up and the hedges themselves have wide spreading, well established roots but it means if the ferrets are now on the shelf until back end I'll be out with the rifle a bit more.

Well, I don't poach so leaving sport for next year isn't really an issue and I'm not one of these that treats other people's land I have permission on as my own private game reserve!

There is barely a bunny on our own land and I've got 2 decent sized permissions down now from being 50 / 60 bunny hauls with the nv to slightly more sensible numbers and ferreting some areas has gone from 12 / 15 for a couple of hours work to 2 or 3 if your lucky.

Where I live we get young ones all year round,there's no breeding season although you get more in spring.My lurcher often just puts them down and watches them run away.I used to have a ferret that would retrieve baby rabbits live to hand out of warrens.Its just a waiting game now as there's not many diggable places in the country I hunt.

Thats the difference between pest control and ferret some folk will still be ferreting into late april

If they had done the job right in the winter then there would be no need

Some estates you cant get on till there finished the pheasant shooting then you play chase your arse , till you get the traps and snares out after youve finished ferreting

• Like 1

Pest Control rabbiting,..has feck all to do with Seasons,...

It is just a job,..same as being a Bricky, Plumber, etc...you are working for wages....

Obviously during the Spring/Summer,..it ain't good,..nobody likes it,..but, if that is your game,.. you have to go where the money is... :yes:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 1

Aye during the summer i still thump them and lamp them a rabbits a rabbit and if there small they still fed the ferrets rather than putting my hand in my pocket for boxes of chicken carcasses to fed the ferts

• Like 2

Whether its your job or your permission if you dont get them all year round you wont have the land for long,

It'l be given to someone that will

Which is why there are 2 cabinets full of things that go bang in the house and a shed of little furry bitey things outside the house!

• Like 1

Some places you can ferret and some you can only shoot, (airgun ) for me. How big is the perm and how often can you go (work or other reasons) it all counts, and how many people completly clear their permisions of rabbits, not many i bet.