Red Fell Type Stud

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You don't half talk some shit morton, it's hard enough to breed a terrier with the desired traits when you're using blood that's tested and used on bigger things than rabbits and rats. You remind me

Then I'll do it for you, Borders have also fallen into the hands of the messers. 30 years ago there were probably 7 or 8 types of working terrier that produced workers consistently. 100 years ago th

I've got a place across the road from me, i enter my pups in it, I've dug it for decades. I put Sid in it with no collar on just to do the old school dig when he was in his first season. I took a mate

I'd rather cross my terriers with my van than a Bedlington.

Any luck with finding a Red dog Mary ?

why do you not like the bedlington terrier neil ?

I just prefer workers, that's all.
some lads have working beddys that work well to ground , an the beddy put to the greyhound makes a good game dog don't you run a beddy greyhound Neil ?

some lads have working beddys that work well to ground , an the beddy put to the greyhound makes a good game dog don't you run a beddy greyhound Neil ?

I'd have to see a Bedlington working properly in front of me to believe there is such a thing.

I had a lurcher over 20 years ago called Blue who was out of a dog called Slim to a greyhound bitch and Slim was a Bedlington cross.

Blue had a heart as big as a house but I fail to see what that has to do with todays so called Bedlingtons.

I don't agree with the agitation theory, I work on facts proven through work not theories.

I'm not picking an argument, but I'd like to see any evidence of the said theories working in practice before I'd believe it

• Like 5

I'd have to see a Bedlington working properly in front of me to believe there is such a thing.

I had a lurcher over 20 years ago called Blue who was out of a dog called Slim to a greyhound bitch and Slim was a Bedlington cross.

Blue had a heart as big as a house but I fail to see what that has to do with todays so called Bedlingtons.

i think most terriers are f****d now a days like the bedlington just like the black terriers will be soon just look on the for sale sites a shock to look at there's man out there that have good working beddys an keep em close jusk like most good working terriers , because you not seen a beddy work don't mean they don't I've seen one work an she did work well an was dug to , I've never seen a border work but would not call em none workers

Plenty of dogs can be game above ground in daylight..........even look the business at a stopend if that's your thing, yet down below, in the dark are cowards.....

These types might bring something to the mix bred to a greyhound or whippet but as earthdogs are failures

• Like 1

It's not about an occasional dig two foot deep in sand, it's about consistent work, time after time. Even then, could they reproduce themselves consistently ?

My Bedlingtons graft and are bred from many generations of grafters,the main dogs here would hold company with any fox working terrier and would hold their own in said company.Their versatility makes them also useful on top ratching about and i see a bit of rabbiting,ratting etc. as part and parcel of their hunting lifestyle.If they are not suited to work below,as is the want of the majority of Bedlingtons,id not feed them.As i stated earlier the best thing i did with a very good red Fell was to put the Bedlington over her and ive a few generations of the mutts that all graft with the same determination.It saddens me when so called terrier folk believe only chinese whispers and base their assumptions on the same and the abilities of the only Bedlington that ever crossed their path.The few honest souls that have seen mine and my lads graft rate them and thats about as much as mine will ever need to prove.

i think most terriers are f****d now a days like the bedlington just like the black terriers will be soon just look on the for sale sites a shock to look at there's man out there that have good working beddys an keep em close jusk like most good working terriers , because you not seen a beddy work don't mean they don't I've seen one work an she did work well an was dug to , I've never seen a border work but would not call em none workers

Then I'll do it for you, Borders have also fallen into the hands of the messers.

30 years ago there were probably 7 or 8 types of working terrier that produced workers consistently.

100 years ago there were probably 20 types.

Nowadays there's the black types and a few lines of white ones that are used by those who take terrier work seriously.

Now, because the proper workers have been narrowed down to a few lines and the fact that there'll always be terriermen, no matter what, then those types are safe.

The terrier and terrierman of today IMO is of a better standard than ever before.

Of course there'll always be rubbish and of course there'll always be non working lines that will throw up a worker (a freak) but that's always been the way.

• Like 7

Plenty of dogs can be game above ground in daylight..........even look the business at a stopend if that's your thing, yet down below, in the dark are cowards.....

These types might bring something to the mix bred to a greyhound or whippet but as earthdogs are failures

A mate of mine had a yorkshire terrier years ago that was a complete lunatic in a stopend but would only do 5min to ground if it even done that but in saying that it did bolt a few fox and was a demon on rats.I have also seen lurchers on top do the buisness no prob but if they had to travel a few ft up a tube it soon changed there way of thinking.

• Like 1

That's what sets terriers apart from any other breed IMO Fatman. The willingness to seek and engage an animal that is at home, stronger and more ferocious and also in the dark! It takes some heart.

I agree RH,they are the gamest of the lot and put there life on the line everytime they go to ground as neither they noe the man above the ground can tell what the outcome will be even in the easiest of places,an earth can change so much in a season from being an easy place to becoming a complete nightmare,how many times have we entered a terrier in what we always believed to be an easy spot[puppy place] and it turns out completely different to any other time you dug before especially when it is a young dog you enter hoping for a quick easy dig.

• Like 3

I've got a place across the road from me, i enter my pups in it, I've dug it for decades. I put Sid in it with no collar on just to do the old school dig when he was in his first season. I took a mate there, showed him where I'd dug it before, explained how easy it is and told him we'd be done within the hour. He pops his young dog in, out comes the B&F, after a short scratch around i got a mark of 12 ft ! I turned and told him the score and he just grinned at me thinking i was pulling his pudding, he soon lost that grin when i didn't grin back !!

It's true, "shit can happen".

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 7