Who Is This Guy??

Mr Welch a man of 83 who has been around terriers all his life from youth at the golden era of when terriers could work a variety of quarry legally, formed one of the longest standing terrier clubs to exist in G.B. is a barrister with quite a reputation for getting men acquitted for trumped up charges regarding terrier work and has met buck & breay many times has it wrong it seems.

Theres a man on here who lets on hes 83 and lived in the golden age when terriers could work a wide variety of quarry legally, and spends most his time doing his hunting typing it out on the THL has a family of pure bred patterdales sure!

what would John Welch Know.

Who's John Welch ????

Apologies for not explaining my question.

You've told us all about Mr John Winch and how much you personally know about him and then couldn't be bothered to even know his name.

I've a funny feeling the first time you heard of Mr Winch was when you read P3D first post.

Another thing I find funny is how you ,P3D and Corkman are always the ones questioning the breeding of black lines when none of ye keep them.

Even though ,Stopend, you did ask a couple of men who keep proper lines of black terriers for pups and they reclined.

So, you boys debate the topic of the black mongerals while keeping terriers yourselves that are very much a mish mash of types.

Do yourselves a favour and talk to the chaps who've had their lines of blacks, black fells, black lakelands or Patterdales for many generations and you might learn a little about the truth of the proper working terrier and it's owner.

• Like 3

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dont get involved in threads here much anymore,its gone to nasty for me,I've kept digging dogs a good while,but I never used the word Patterdale in my life,I always referred to them as black dogs,noth

If it wasn't for John which quite a few lads would have been locked up years ago . He helped the nwtf years ago as well as the fell & moorland. The man is an absolute gentleman who still in his t

People should be more concerned about how they work rather than breed names and colour

Rabbit hunter,Netmaker, Eastcoast,

Ye are starting to worry a few lads now, are ye saying that this man is very knowledgeable about the terriers of the North.

That he is in his later years and has lived up where these dogs originated all his life.

That he has hunted, bred and showed working terriers since his youth.

That he is a Barrister so no slouch in the brains department.

AND he thinks that the "Patterdale Terrier" name being used for the smooth black dogs is just some men's vanity made up in 1970.

JA$U$ lads, that serious. WHAT are we going to call them now?

loads of them are just black jack russels.

Often wondered if there is a connection, Bottle of black dye and most Old School Russells' would pass as a pedigree Patterdale.

BUT no Russell would pass as a Fell terrier IMO.

Different structure.

Are you putting the Russells above the Black dogs with such a comment P3D? Surely not!

Rabbit hunter,Netmaker, Eastcoast,

Ye are starting to worry a few lads now, are ye saying that this man is very knowledgeable about the terriers of the North.

That he is in his later years and has lived up where these dogs originated all his life.

That he has hunted, bred and showed working terriers since his youth.

That he is a Barrister so no slouch in the brains department.

AND he thinks that the "Patterdale Terrier" name being used for the smooth black dogs is just some men's vanity made up in 1970.

JA$U$ lads, that serious. WHAT are we going to call them now?

loads of them are just black jack russels.

Often wondered if there is a connection, Bottle of black dye and most Old School Russells' would pass as a pedigree Patterdale.

BUT no Russell would pass as a Fell terrier IMO.

Different structure.

your right about the structure,far to big for most setts

Dont get involved in threads here much anymore,its gone to nasty for me,I've kept digging dogs a good while,but I never used the word Patterdale in my life,I always referred to them as black dogs,nothing more nothing less. I've bred black dogs from red dogs and red dogs from black dogs,and once they worked I never gave a f**k.

• Like 18

Mr Welch a man of 83 who has been around terriers all his life from youth at the golden era of when terriers could work a variety of quarry legally, formed one of the longest standing terrier clubs to exist in G.B. is a barrister with quite a reputation for getting men acquitted for trumped up charges regarding terrier work and has met buck & breay many times has it wrong it seems.

Theres a man on here who lets on hes 83 and lived in the golden age when terriers could work a wide variety of quarry legally, and spends most his time doing his hunting typing it out on the THL has a family of pure bred patterdales sure!

Who's John Welch ????

You've told us all about Mr John Winch and how much you personally know about him and then couldn't be bothered to even know his name.

I've a funny feeling the first time you heard of Mr Winch was when you read P3D first post.

Another thing I find funny is how you ,P3D and Corkman are always the ones questioning the breeding of black lines when none of ye keep them.

Even though ,Stopend, you did ask a couple of men who keep proper lines of black terriers for pups and they reclined.

So, you boys debate the topic of the black mongerals while keeping terriers yourselves that are very much a mish mash of types.

Do yourselves a favour and talk to the chaps who've had their lines of blacks, black fells, black lakelands or Patterdales for many generations and you might learn a little about the truth of the proper working terrier and it's owner.

That's the thing about me. I question everything in life which allows me to form my opinions.

I've owned, bred and worked blacks, reds, whites, brindles and quiet happily have a mish mash of whites which keep me and many others quite happy in Cork and wider afield and dug over plenty dogs from other men that have kept black dogs a lot longer than you. So I would say I have a healthy respect and interest for all types....... once they work. By me getting along with most people affords me the pleasure to speak with many such men which cannot be said for a lot of people. A good dog is a good dog no matter what colour.

Your last sentence says it all as usual and a very inward looking statement as if everything is about YOU??

Obviously yours is the only opinion that matters as you appear to have an opinion and expertise on just about everything. You act as if you are the only man in the world that has kept or keeping black dogs and you are the sole authority on black dogs or just about everything. Load of crap.

• Like 3

THL will be up for "Best Comedy" in next years golden globes...... a bloody playground?

Maybe we should just start the THL version of the Darwin Awards "Golden Ball" goes to the biggest knob.

No wonder people don't bother posting half the time as the same ole trolling experts will be on.

??????

Back to my real life.

• Like 3

Im sure John Winch is on an old terrier video, with binoculars round his neck in a fell landscape, talking terrier/men history, might the F&M video. The new dvd should be on its way to me so ill know soon enough. Think he's mentioned in The Fell Terrier book too.

• Like 1

THL will be up for "Best Comedy" in next years golden globes...... a bloody playground?

Maybe we should just start the THL version of the Darwin Awards "Golden Ball" goes to the biggest knob.

No wonder people don't bother posting half the time as the same ole trolling experts will be on.

??????

Back to my real life.

For someone who once said that you'd like to see this web-site banned you sure look at it a lot.

What you and your type have problem with forums like this compared to face book etc. is that when one comes on to an open forum you have to be prepared to put your money where your mouth is and be prepared for others opinions.

You and P3D now and again come on and like to ridicule the breeding of the black lines of terriers. You's nit pick and scrutinize quotes etc. to try and say they just another scatter bred mongeral the same as some other hotch potch types.

It kills you's that there actually are lads who have something to show for their years of hard work.

I don't pretend to be any sort of an expert or the only one who knows black terriers but I am very passionate about something that IMO is worth being passionate about.

Some day you might know how it feels.

That's why I always rise up and take the bait because f****d if I'll let someone with a half arsed opinion make stupid statements.

• Like 4

??????

Back to my real life.

For someone who once said that you'd like to see this web-site banned you sure look at it a lot.

What you and your type have problem with forums like this compared to face book etc. is that when one comes on to an open forum you have to be prepared to put your money where your mouth is and be prepared for others opinions.

You and P3D now and again come on and like to ridicule the breeding of the black lines of terriers. You's nit pick and scrutinize quotes etc. to try and say they just another scatter bred mongeral the same as some other hotch potch types.

It kills you's that there actually are lads who have something to show for their years of hard work.

I don't pretend to be any sort of an expert or the only one who knows black terriers but I am very passionate about something that IMO is worth being passionate about.

That's why I always rise up and take the bait because f****d if I'll let someone with a half arsed opinion make stupid statements.

John Winch said that it was vanity that named the Pedigree Patterdale.

How right he was.

Reading your post says it all.

Every other strain is hodge podge EXCEPT your well bred type.

Listen to men like Mr Winch and stop making stupid statements.

There are a lot of great working strains that genuine men have bred for decades.

Because they do not have pedigree papers that does not mean they are bad workers.

• Like 6

FFS PD3 what would you know? :-)

I wonder who Mr Winch was referencing about the men with ego's back then?

Fells, Fells, Fells...... except for the smooth black one's that Nuttal developed?? :-)

Below are fells to me.

Red hairy types or broken types = Fells

Black hairy types or broken types = Fells or Patterdale which would depend on your persuasion

Smooth Black Type = Patterdale or Fell which would depend on your persuasion.

Black & Tan hairy or broken types = Lakey

Or could it just be as simple as black dog, red dog, white dog as most are just strains and various mixes of some or all of the above.

First instance I remember of patterdales being referenced (documented) is when I was a young kid was my friend who I dig with today had a book of dogs of the world which had both red and black patterdales. Smooth types and possibly grizzle if I can remember rightly. I would love to see this book today to see where the author got his reference from?

Also a very interesting post by PD3 was the breeding chart from Nuttal where the name patterdale was used on the chart as the type/breed and interestingly not fell? and most people would consider Nuttals as patterdales. What does he call them as he was a very important man in the scheme of things amongst others?

Who's John Welch ????

That's the thing about me. I question everything in life which allows me to form my opinions.

I've owned, bred and worked blacks, reds, whites, brindles and quiet happily have a mish mash of whites which keep me and many others quite happy in Cork and wider afield and dug over plenty dogs from other men that have kept black dogs a lot longer than you. So I would say I have a healthy respect and interest for all types....... once they work. By me getting along with most people affords me the pleasure to speak with many such men which cannot be said for a lot of people. A good dog is a good dog no matter what colour.

Your last sentence says it all as usual and a very inward looking statement as if everything is about YOU??

Obviously yours is the only opinion that matters as you appear to have an opinion and expertise on just about everything. You act as if you are the only man in the world that has kept or keeping black dogs and you are the sole authority on black dogs or just about everything. Load of crap.

??????

Back to my real life.

Would yah go away yah clown

Read back over my two posts. First one describes imo what the various types of Fells look or could be classed as by many lads. No different really to the listing or entries in many a working terrier show. No mention of YOU.

The second post is in response to you dragging my name into matters in true keyboard warrior style in which I responded and in no way degraded fell terriers or bull influenced black smooth patterdales for that matter. But I thought I better provide a response this time around as fairies like you only get emboldened if ignored like the last time you try drag me down to your gutter level and slated my dogs which are "directly" off SB, JM, JA, BMC, JB, etc Cork dogs that I can trace the line back to 60's when Tommy started things off. 40 minute mish mash terriers that you have never seen? You will be popular in Cork you clown. The other throw away comment from you is that I nearly got terrierwork banned in Ireland? What a joke you really are and I will gladly open up Pandora's box and put you straight on that one anytime on the WWW and can back "everything" I say with facts something which isn't important to liars like you as personally I've had of your bull and bullying. You won't bully me boy.

As for me wanting THL banned. Not really it has its benefits, but when egomaniacs like you post photos of chinned dogs acting the hard man and then try to take the moral high ground belittling others for doing less it sickens me.

As for my use of THL. We joined the site roughly the same time. I've posted 237 times and you over 5,000 with your prolific self possessed authority on everything. I've met you and saw through you fairly quickly, not like many on here.

Cooney you have to be the biggest tool I've had the misfortune to have meet and the biggest langer I've met in the terrier game. So go on away and crawl under a stone or back on a barstool and treat your gout yah old mans arse.

Edited by Corkman
  • Like 6