Dog Stiff And Tight ??

Simple question and probably stupid one Lads my mate has got himself a bullxgrey nice animal rising 4 thing is morning after running and for few days he seems to be all caught up and not average bit stiffness that a stretch won't fix the dog does be litteraly like u nail as if he's constipated or soma .. my taughts are exercise fitness .. can any one shed some light for me please atb del

Haven't the foggest what that means

Haha... I've read it a few times but not sure what the question is.... fair play to lads answering though they must have a decoding machine of some sort lol

• Like 1

Haha... I've read it a few times but not sure what the question is.... fair play to lads answering though they must have a decoding machine of some sort lol

The dog is as stiff as jam, doubled up like a U nail, I was once told bull crosses can get a pump on like a bodybuilder when working hard which can lead to problems
  • Like 3

A few years ago I took my old half bull x out for her a first nights lamping of the season and after her first hard run she just went completely stiff and was basically paralysed in the field, scared the feck out of me. I had to carry the big b*****d on my shoulders across two fields to the car after where I called the emergency Vet as I honestly thought I was going to lose her (a stroke or something I thought). Anyway he advised me that muscular dogs often get a build up of lactic acid (or similar) and it can cause this sort of temporary paralysis. Anyway, lesson learned I would always make sure a dog was well warmed up and conditioned prior to first night lamping.

The dog is as stiff as jam, doubled up like a U nail, I was once told bull crosses can get a pump on like a bodybuilder when working hard which can lead to problems

Cheers mate... got it.

How unfit was the dog before he got it? Has he over done it with an unfit dog?

Get him checked over by a boneman, might me acidosis with over doing it? Add tinned tomatoes to his diet and bananas and add plenty of fat and protein.

Make sure he's taking plenty of liquid even if its watery bone broth.

And another thing I do also if mine has had a hard night is make him lay in a warm bath for 10mins.

If I had to guess considering he's 100% injury free, I think its lack of potassium in his diet causing cramp

• Like 1

cheers lads for replys .yes the dog is unfit. not over worked when brought out ... would i say its exercise YES and probably diet too poxy thing is out of 3 lurchers he has two being bull cross(all on sme diet) .he is the only one like this sometimes for 2 maybe 3 days his diet is high in protein which could be another factor..ill sugest a vet thanks again for replys ....

A few years ago I took my old half bull x out for her a first nights lamping of the season and after her first hard run she just went completely stiff and was basically paralysed in the field, scared the feck out of me. I had to carry the big b*****d on my shoulders across two fields to the car after where I called the emergency Vet as I honestly thought I was going to lose her (a stroke or something I thought). Anyway he advised me that muscular dogs often get a build up of lactic acid (or similar) and it can cause this sort of temporary paralysis. Anyway, lesson learned I would always make sure a dog was well warmed up and conditioned prior to first night lamping.

spot on, i found that as well you get it alot more in muscular type dog bullxs , it not the size of the dogs it how made up physically . i had 3 bullx greys before all about 26in 70- 75 lb all would be really stiff next day from nights lamping , now my dog now Buck 1x gsd x grey a bigger dog 28in 85 lb , but far more agile and supple type dog, never gets the same prob as my bullx greys got. But what did for any dog ive had , after a night lamping, towel them down even if there dry, stretch out there shoulder and hips, and back. Then put heat lamps on in there kennel, the heat lamp the heat will make the dogs lie flat out, instead lying in ball, which will encourage cramp/stiffness . towel them and heat lamp works wonders deff :yes::yes:

• Like 5

spot on, i found that as well you get it alot more in muscular type dog bullxs , it not the size of the dogs it how made up physically . i had 3 bullx greys before all about 26in 70- 75 lb all would be really stiff next day from nights lamping , now my dog now Buck 1x gsd x grey a bigger dog 28in 85 lb , but far more agile and supple type dog, never gets the same prob as my bullx greys got. But what did for any dog ive had , after a night lamping, towel them down even if there dry, stretch out there shoulder and hips, and back. Then put heat lamps on in there kennel, the heat lamp the heat will make the dogs lie flat out, instead lying in ball, which will encourage cramp/stiffness . towel them and heat lamp works wonders deff :yes::yes:

sound advice that

sound advice that

i used to work at a racing kennels , i picked few things up from the trainers as well , it all helps with running dogs day /night :thumbs: