Britain Has Passed The 'most Extreme Surveillance Law Ever Passed In A Democracy'

Like all these things if your not doing anything wrong you've nothing to worry about

However if your sat planning a terrorist attack then I'm all for the person getting a knock at the door.

And do you trust the people that decide what is "anything wrong"?

I don't. The less power they have the better.

So you think this is all new, CCTV, Facebook, twitter and a 100 things you register with to "pay on line" have been storing information about you for the last decade.

Look I get it none wants big brother but Its amusing that people think things like this are a huge revelation. like it or not if you don't want to be tracked traced or whatever then you need to live totally off line and even then its too late.

One thing I do know is if there is some MI6 or CIA wants to troll through my history then all he's going to find is a few daft posts on THL and a couple of torches and kids toys bought from Amazon. However if it stops some c**t blowing up Bluewater Shopping Centre then Im all for it.

• Like 3

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

However abhorrent you find someone's views, it's up to them and their peers to decide.....if someone's views are that bad then they will become a social outcast.   You don't need a law and the gover

So what? It's f***ing mental that it's illegal to offend someone!   In the pursuit of 'fairness and equality' the plastic Liberals have completely shit on the Classical and far more fundamental prin

Why though? Any limit is an infringement of the most fundamental principle of the Western world, the freedom of expression/thought/speech. Being offended is not a legitimate reason for punishing someo

Posted Images

"It's already happening so why complain" :no:

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

What are you going to do about it then?

Raise awareness about what's happening, campaign against the current surveillance laws and lobby MPs to vote against bills that strip away our right to privacy, the same things we should all do when the Government is doing things we don't agree with.

I certainly won't be just throwing up my hands and saying there's nothing we can do so might as well roll over and let them f**k us. Sounds pretty cowardly to me.

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Raise awareness about what's happening, campaign against the current surveillance laws and lobby MPs to vote against bills that strip away our right to privacy, the same things we should all do when the Government is doing things we don't agree with.

I certainly won't be just throwing up my hands and saying there's nothing we can do so might as well roll over and let them f**k us. Sounds pretty cowardly to me.

Let me know how you get on with that pal, I'll be right behind you :thumbs:

Let me know how you get on with that pal, I'll be right behind you :thumbs:

I'll let you know now how he got on, he got nowhere and never will, what can he do? Sign a few petitions that will get binned, protests and opinions filed accordingly. The end :thumbs:

• Like 1

"Well, I'm going to blow up parliament!!"

**strange buzzing sound on phone**

• Like 1

I value my privacy. I'm willing to accept the slightly higher chance of me or my friends being victims of terrorism or organised crime in return for less people knowing what I think about online.

Edited by C556

I value my privacy. I'm willing to accept the slightly higher chance of me or my friends being victims of terrorism or organised crime in return for less people knowing what I think about online.

MI5 know exactly who the terrorists are and have never needed these extra laws.

Snowden said that even the NSA envied the snooping powers that MI5 had....says it all really.

For years they've been recording every single bit of digital and analogue communications but because it wasn't legal they couldn't use it to prosecute the average joe...they could use it in secret courts against terrorists because they didn't always have to disclose their intelligence sources.

All this law does is make it easier for the police, council and HMRC!!! to invade the privacy of the average person.

Not LOL

Liam Stacey, 21, received a 56-day jail term after tweeting "LOL" ["laugh out loud"] in response to the on-pitch collapse of the footballer Fabrice Muamba and subsequently posting racist and offensive comments when other users criticised him.

Matthew Woods, 19, from Chorley, Lancashire, made comments about April and Madeleine McCann, the three-year-old who went missing during a family holiday in Portugal in 2007. Jailed for 12 weeks

Bacon man....jailed for 1 year killed (probably in prison)

Yep....we should totally trust the state, they have our best interests at heart.

Being a c*nt is no excuse for a custodial sentence

• Like 1

Not LOL

Liam Stacey, 21, received a 56-day jail term after tweeting "LOL" ["laugh out loud"] in response to the on-pitch collapse of the footballer Fabrice Muamba and subsequently posting racist and offensive comments when other users criticised him.

Matthew Woods, 19, from Chorley, Lancashire, made comments about April and Madeleine McCann, the three-year-old who went missing during a family holiday in Portugal in 2007. Jailed for 12 weeks

Bacon man....jailed for 1 year killed (probably in prison)

Yep....we should totally trust the state, they have our best interests at heart.

Being a c*nt is no excuse for a custodial sentence

Are you inferring these actions were/are a result of the government spying on people on line? This is a rhetorical question as I wouldn't insult your intelligence mate, you seem a sensible chap and I enjoy reading your opinions

The law at times is an ass I agree, however this thread is about how Security Agencies can now use intel gained from the internet to investigate crime and for some the "shock horror" it might also be watching me and affecting my civil liberties....

My point is, this and far more serious information is known about you and me and everyone else who lives in society. For some to act like this is all new and outrageous well it just isn't, for example

Credit card style Driving Licences (remember the change from paper style)

Passports

Cash machine transactions

EPOS transactions

ANPR Cameras

Utility Bills

Facial recognition cameras

Video analytics

All these can be readily accessed by the authorities

There are over 5 million CCTV cameras installed in the UK many networked do people think the government sit on a chairs following people walking around the streets? Seriously there is more data gathered from you walking in a high street store than I care to name.

Just my take on things

I'm saying that legislation over the years and changes of the terms of 'hate crime' has lead to this.

Firstly (and it took years to get this) they managed to pass a law so that ISPs (internet service providers) had to keep x number of years of data of all users internet activities. This means that if they win a test case they can then retroactively prosecute people for 'internet' crimes....they were definitely after pirates but now have moved the goal posts to 'hate crime' which is nothing more that some pissed guy spouting bullshit indistinguishable from what half of us say on THL but instead on Facebook or Twitter....treating social media as a public space is a very dangerous move because while you might be blind drunk at home and make a stupid comment you could wake up to find the cops at your door.

Basically they have passed a law that legitimizes what they've been doing for decades and access to this data is absolutely not restricted to the police and MI5. HMRC and councils can now request access to this data.

Government is lazy, even the cops, they would much prefer to be able to trawl through a suspect's social media/internet activity to catch 'criminals'.

I agree with you, and the UK is one of the worst countries there is for recording data on it's civilians. We are living in soviet-esk times in many ways.

My problem is not that our security services can spy (they have always been able to do it) it's that the data is now shared with other governmental organisations.,..when it wasn't legal MI5 could still prosecute because they had special courts.

In answer to you first question....I have an 'anonymous' facebook and twitter....if I did something that got reported i.e. hate crime (LOL) the police would still be able to get me within a very short amount of time, your internet activity leaves a lot of footprints unless you are sophisticated and use onion routers or VPNs etc but even then I think you'd still be had.