Fantastic Mr Fox...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My main quarry when it was all legal was the sly old mr fox! It was about the only game that was plentiful her in wales, and through my uncle having hounds, my father being a terrierman I had a consta

Great read Dan. Personally I believe that to really appreciate any wild animal you have to have been made look silly by him a few times. The Fox is much more than just vermin. He deserves the same r

im the same even tho I get feck all with the dog I still don't slip on squatter always kick them up and give them a few yards and if a hare evades capture for a bit I all ways like see him get to safe

One once ran my dog towards a gap in a hedge, hedge was dense no way of easily getting through apart from this one gap. It looked over its shoulder slowed down a little and just as dog was in striking range the fox done a swift left turn sending dog through the gap not having a f***ing clue what just happened and the fox trotted off down the hedge line haha by the time the dog had come back through the fox was long gone.

• Like 3

A great read and nice to show some respect to old Charlie he s a survivor for sure and and does need controlled but you got to take ya hat of to him only need s a second and he slips away to run another day and be even more cunning next time atb taffey

• Like 2

what a cracking read! and its good to read about the respect you have for old red, I really don't mind things getting away when they really do deserve it. I hate it when mine catches something that bounced of a fence or something. thanks for that :thumbs:

Im the same and i always feel sorry when the pick up a squatter or one that didnt see it coming i like them to have a chance.

im the same even tho I get feck all with the dog I still don't slip on squatter always kick them up and give them a few yards and if a hare evades capture for a bit I all ways like see him get to safety some may think that's soft but a really do just love a good race
  • Like 8

walking three a wood on a shoot beating looking up trees for squirrels as its a bit of wild west type affair,and see a longthick oak bow with a familar looking hump halfway along,i shoot and all the other walking guns look up and a fox summersaults to the ground.down the line shouts of" fox shot out of tree". lucky they saw it to be fair or they d of ripped the shit out of me

Edited by Qbgrey
  • Like 1

what a cracking read! and its good to read about the respect you have for old red, I really don't mind things getting away when they really do

deserve it. I hate it when mine catches something that bounced of a fence or something. thanks for that :thumbs:

Im the same and i always feel sorry when the pick up a squatter or one that didnt see it coming i like them to have a chance.

im the same even tho I get feck all with the dog I still don't slip on squatter always kick them up and give them a few yards and if a hare evades capture for a bit I all ways like see him get to safety some may think that's soft but a really do just love a good race

Alot of the time i find myself cheering for the quarry some really do deserve to get away.

Years ago was out with a couple of lads that had them red and white russell things they had 8 between the 2 of them we were working and old disused chalk quary with a lot of thick cover in the bottom the pack of terriers put a fox out of some thick bramble right in front of 2 good lurchers was a he'll of a chase the fox dodging this way and that both dog were right on its tail when it made its escape strai5 up a 30ft cliff

You could write a book alone on the cunning of the fox.

Because they're a predator like the dogs we use to hunt them they often know what works and what doesn't work.

Have you ever been standing at the side of a covert with hounds screaming around it and out come the fox.

But he goes down the field at a half pace, with not a care in the world = No scent.

But he goes down the field as if his brush is on fire = Good scent.

And he's not loyal to his own kind either, how often does he wake up his brother and tell him to carry on, LOL.

Lets face it, if the fox was a dumb animal he'd be long extinct by now.

Long live ol' Charles.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...