Brushing Dogs Advice

green dragon

Just get a dog thats meant for bushing. All these other types i wouldnt bother with... stick with what works for others. Spaniel springer or cocker. Or a cocker patt. Springer patt ect. Sprocker russell the list goes on

What other types wouldn't you bother with? Beagle spaniels? They are spoken highly of by the lads who've seen them graft.

Depends on the land i guess, if your hunting vast land / hills then yeah a beagle x would be better but if i was looking for something to stay close i would leave the beagle out , i wouldnt want chance having beagle blood places i hunt just incase they did range to far

• Like 2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

an old English sheepdog must be the best brushing dog ... Dulux have used them for years ......

You're probably best see a few types work mate. Where abouts are you? I will happily show you this bull X cocker of mine working. Be worth seeing a full spaniel aswel so you can get an idea of differe

Bit like inviting severe herpesvirus into your underpants imo

Nice one guys. i do like the look of gaz and tommys bull cockers they look like proper animals. my lurcher dose ok in cover but its not his job lol i do like spaniels we had a springer as a pet growing up and she was a good dog i just like the look of terriers lol but terrry your probly write it couls be a bit of a prroble is it kept going to ground

You're probably best see a few types work mate. Where abouts are you? I will happily show you this bull X cocker of mine working. Be worth seeing a full spaniel aswel so you can get an idea of differences. I wouldn't have another terrier for bushing. They are bang on at the job but a liability when they start dropping to ground.

Im over on anglesey and im not driveing yet so it would be a bit of a pain get to you mate but i realy appriate the offer mate iv got pleant of time till next year so i have to what happens

Just get a dog thats meant for bushing. All these other types i wouldnt bother with... stick with what works for others. Spaniel springer or cocker. Or a cocker patt. Springer patt ect. Sprocker russell the list goes on

What other types wouldn't you bother with? Beagle spaniels? They are spoken highly of by the lads who've seen them graft.

Depends on the land i guess, if your hunting vast land / hills then yeah a beagle x would be better but if i was looking for something to stay close i would leave the beagle out , i wouldnt want chance having beagle blood places i hunt just incase they did range to far

The reason i thort a terrier would do well as the covers id work are quite small and tight but after a think i dont need a dog that keeps going to ground

The reason i thort a terrier would do well as the covers id work are quite small and tight but after a think i dont need a dog that keeps going to ground

Little spaniel x will get any where a terrier would anyway mate , and like you say who wants be standind around while your dogs gone to ground , ruin the mooch that would

Spaniel terrier x's still have the urge to drop! I've lost mine to ground a few times and had to sit and wait until she pops out and grab her which isn't ideal while bushing!

Learn them quick as pups,not worried about any mine dropping in,no dramas ........none yet anyway lol.

One thing these spaniel x terrier,they work fast,hedgerows done at walking pace,in cover if it's holding game,been out with couple terriers over the years found them slow soon got bored waiting on them,like I say only seen couple though

• Like 1

Learn them quick as pups,not worried about any mine dropping in,no dramas ........none yet anyway lol.

One thing these spaniel x terrier,they work fast,hedgerows done at walking pace,in cover if it's holding game,been out with couple terriers over the years found them slow soon got bored waiting on them,like I say only seen couple though

Usually the steady busher that finds it's game in my experience, used to take my brothers border out with the pack she passed away recently but worked steady as you like in her day lost count of how many times she hung back and picked off something in cover. Other faster/ younger dogs often missed or for distracted on multiple scent, nothing wrong with steady especially when the runners start to clock on to hanging back jmo

• Like 1

Your right Steady is perfect reason why bit terrier in the spaniel to steady them up but these were painfully slow,like I said only seen couple so wouldn't judge them all on that alone,the border sounds like it was a spot on atb

Do you all not get bored talking utter shit !!!!

No. It beats going hunting in this weather. It's freezing cold out there and raining. Better to stay indoors, talk shit on here and do some hunting when the warmer weather comes in spring.
When i go lamping i lick the gum bit on a rizla and stick it to the top of the lamp.

Then check it every 2 mins.if i see 1 drop of rain on it thats it im off home.

• Like 2

ive found the spaniel x terrier make bushing hunting easy for you they listen and work with you :thumbs:

as for dropping in holes only ever had one in over 30 years of keeping this cross go to ground as said they listen very quick

Edited by squirell1