Longnets The Pros And Cons

biggest con for me is lugging them about. As rabbits are thin on the ground I need to cover a bit of ground and its one rabbit here one there. So most the time I can't justify carrying them about. 4oz seems to be the way to go

short stop nets are handier for me

31071806166_8b6d031a98_c.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 3

sometimes for me they can be a bit of a pain to carry into some spots but for the most part there a great bit of kit.some of my permissions the warrens are quiet large and could have as many as a dozen or so unseen pop holes.i just retired some of my old nets and bought some from nelson recently and can't speak highly enough of there quality and ease to setup.

• Like 1

Not only do you need the correct z but mesh size is also important.

Defenatly 4z machine made and for me the hand made net would be a double knitt 20/09 or single 20/12 and obviously engles twine if I have a choice :)

Mesh can be from 4 inch up to 4.5

I prefer over 4 inch, we all have our preferences.

Edited to add.. nelson only has nets that are up to job and won't sell you a net just to get his hand in your pocket..

• Like 3

Never done aswell with long jets as I have with purse nets. I seen 2 or 3 lads armed with purse nets mop up. Tho long nets do make things abit more interesting if you got a dog that covers the bolt and works a net nice. Tho some of the real rabbit infested places I won't take a dog no need so purse nets over stop nets all day long.

The thing with them is home work, as said above set in the right place deadly, set under sweet chestnut tree, or in front of a freshly cut thorn hedge in the early hours of the morning,with no moon can be a frigging nightmare, the pro's to ferreting though, when there's big open set's are massive, you arn't walking over your holes as much, disturbance is kept to a minimum, traditional or quick set is a matter of personal preference, I keep both as my backs knacked and I find traditional better for carrying,I have no preference to oz weight, as regards holding the rabbit but the heavier weights, I find easier to untangle, I had a hemp net for years but when it got wet, it was a real dead weight, and a pain to dry but it took a lot of rabbit in its time, as I said above do your homework on the ground, speak with your farmer find out when he will cut his hedges, speak. Nicely to them and they may top a few yards out one line down the field for you, and make sure livestock stay out the way, a lamb or sheep in a long net , and you will know about it, take your time and enjoy the whole experience, when it's done right it's a magic one,

• Like 1

I was thinking that a heavy weight one would be easier to to untangle and what is the difference between traditional and quick set thanks for replys

quick sets are good as your literally just walk them out and back in when done, the bag is set consistently between the poles which are the fix points, are carried within a basket, however the bag will be hung from the rear of the pole, which isn't a issue in daylight, as in when setting around warren's, at night though it may mean walking up the hedge or fence and laying the net backwards, towards the point of entry into the field, I know people may think it makes no difference, if the rabbit hits the back of the net,and in truth I don't know as I always make sure, my net comes out the basket the right way, a traditional net you have to set the poles, and the bag, which once you are used to doing it, is no detriment, however it means you are in the line of flight longer, and on nights of variable wind, can cost you rabbits, these are the nights quicksets are worth there weight in gold, to some up, for a novice a quickset would be better in my opinion,
  • Like 1