Has Anybody Taken A Uk Dog Down Under To Hunt?

Yes, I forgot to mention cat, there are places with major cat problems, not many where I hunt but I would love to get stuck into them with the parsons and possibly my whippet x saluki bitch. When I was a kid we had a little fox terrier that used to love finding and mauling them. I have to check the laws on hunting them with dogs but I imagine the same as rabbit, hare, fox.

as far as i recolllect you can hunt introduced species but not native with dogs. at least, that was the case in Western Australia when I was there (about 15 years ago lol).

seriously, I took my first cross border collie/grey with me, she did 30 days quarantine and was a bit loopy for a few days after coming out but soon settled back to her old self. we didnt hunt pigs but there were plenty of rabbits, and although they tell us collie curs dont make good fox dogs, she took quite a few of them :thumbs:

Stabs took his two lurchers down under and hunted them with success i believe. I've seen some cracking photos of his dogs in some bizzare terrain hunting different quarry.

He pops into here every so often and if he does, i'm sure he'll put a decent post up about his own dogs adapting to that enviroment etc.

as far as i recolllect you can hunt introduced species but not native with dogs. at least, that was the case in Western Australia when I was there (about 15 years ago lol).

seriously, I took my first cross border collie/grey with me, she did 30 days quarantine and was a bit loopy for a few days after coming out but soon settled back to her old self. we didnt hunt pigs but there were plenty of rabbits, and although they tell us collie curs dont make good fox dogs, she took quite a few of them :thumbs:

Native species are definitely a no no. I have trained my dogs not to chase kangaroos and wallabies although they do relapse sometimes. It seems dogs can tell an animal is wild as they never ever chase stock but have a couple of times ignored me and set sail after kangaroos and wallabies even though they clearly knew it is not allowed, cheeky buggers just don't seem to be able to resist.

Native species are definitely a no no. I have trained my dogs not to chase kangaroos and wallabies although they do relapse sometimes. It seems dogs can tell an animal is wild as they never ever chase stock but have a couple of times ignored me and set sail after kangaroos and wallabies even though they clearly knew it is not allowed, cheeky buggers just don't seem to be able to resist.

yep, despite my bitch being 100% with livestock, it was very difficult to stop her chasing roos.