Kovalev Vs Ward.

Why do fights fans always go into meltdown and start calling for rule changes when the fighters they fancy to win dont win :D ......there was no big scandal it was a close fight that could have gone either way Kovalev had some good moments and so did Ward its only that Wards good moments were much more technical than the brute force of Kovalevs and so not as obvious but Ward is a 12 round machine he had the upper hand in the clinches and as soon as he started clipping him after the clinches and pot shotting with the jab it was obvious Kovalev was going to have to do more than just follow him around the ring.....and he didnt do that.....there was a time when American judges would favour the guy on the front foot regardless of the success he had with scoring punches,now they tend not to do that as much and we still slag them off !

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Theres a few good match ups from across the pond with garcia v thurman, lomachenko v Walters which are 2 fights to look forward to. I'm looking forward to watching my mate liam williams fight 26th thi

Ward to out point him, kovalev has the power advantage but ward is the better boxer.

You think Ward bossed the clinches, I didn't see that at all. I fail to see these technical moments Ward was having tbh. Kovalev was landing stiffening jabs throughout the fight. Ward is far from a ma

Why do fights fans always go into meltdown and start calling for rule changes when the fighters they fancy to win dont win :D ......there was no big scandal it was a close fight that could have gone either way Kovalev had some good moments and so did Ward its only that Wards good moments were much more technical than the brute force of Kovalevs and so not as obvious but Ward is a 12 round machine he had the upper hand in the clinches and as soon as he started clipping him after the clinches and pot shotting with the jab it was obvious Kovalev was going to have to do more than just follow him around the ring.....and he didnt do that.....there was a time when American judges would favour the guy on the front foot regardless of the success he had with scoring punches,now they tend not to do that as much and we still slag them off !

You think Ward bossed the clinches, I didn't see that at all. I fail to see these technical moments Ward was having tbh. Kovalev was landing stiffening jabs throughout the fight. Ward is far from a master boxer imo, he's scrappy and a spoiler and was gifted the decision. It wasn't the worst of robberies but I can't see how the hell he took the title from Kovalev after that performance. I hope the rematch puts a closure to these differing of opinions.

• Like 1

You think Ward bossed the clinches, I didn't see that at all. I fail to see these technical moments Ward was having tbh. Kovalev was landing stiffening jabs throughout the fight. Ward is far from a master boxer imo, he's scrappy and a spoiler and was gifted the decision. It wasn't the worst of robberies but I can't see how the hell he took the title from Kovalev after that performance. I hope the rematch puts a closure to these differing of opinions.

Kovalev was doing a lot of holding without actually working when you hook an opponent under the armpits like your doing a bicep curl you are stopping them creating distance Kovalev was doing that a lot whereas Wards clinching was to get punches off ( spoiling )......if Kovalev could of maintained distance with the jab he would have done but he was being out - positioned a lot of the time by a fighter who was simply reading him better.

Kovalev was doing a lot of holding without actually working when you hook an opponent under the armpits like your doing a bicep curl you are stopping them creating distance Kovalev was doing that a lot whereas Wards clinching was to get punches off ( spoiling )......if Kovalev could of maintained distance with the jab he would have done but he was being out - positioned a lot of the time by a fighter who was simply reading him better.

He was doing his best to nullify Ward as that's all he basically does in fights, wrestle and hit in clinches. Although he was controlling Ward for the most part he got caught up in the wrestling rubbish instead of doing his own thing.

The way the judges scored the fight means they had Ward winning 7 rounds, can you tell me the 7 rounds he won because if I'm being generous I can only give the man 4-5 rounds. No way in hell did he take the belts from the champion IMO.

I'm no boxing expert but even I could see that kovalev was simply following ward round the ring when he was backing off instead of cutting the ring off it was frustrating me watching it so why his corner didn't tell him I don't know, it seemed like Kovalev was to busy trying to beat ward at his own game instead of concentrating on what he's good at himself I think he could've won comfortably with better tactics but he was just to predictable.

I'm no boxing expert but even I could see that kovalev was simply following ward round the ring when he was backing off instead of cutting the ring off it was frustrating me watching it so why his corner didn't tell him I don't know, it seemed like Kovalev was to busy trying to beat ward at his own game instead of concentrating on what he's good at himself I think he could've won comfortably with better tactics but he was just to predictable.

I said back on post 14 on this thread that Kovalev being to predictable would allow Ward to school him,however he didn't school him but Kovalev did end up fighting Wards fight.

That doesn't mean Ward was winning the rounds even if Kovalev lost his game plan. Like I said earlier, given the knockdown and the scoring from the judges means Ward had to win 7 rounds. Can anybody tell me 7 rounds that he won?

How do you think open scoring could effect a fight?

Never thought of it before but it could lead to some real shit or bust tear ups when a fighter knows for sure he has to score a KO to win.

No doubt that is a simplistic opinion.

How do you think open scoring could effect a fight?

Never thought of it before but it could lead to some real shit or bust tear ups when a fighter knows for sure he has to score a KO to win.

No doubt that is a simplistic opinion.

I think it should be enforced, there's been some real stinkers in the fight game over the years and that will always be the case when judges are involved. I think if a fighter is winning comfortably and the fix is in then he should have the right to know and at least try and remedy it.

• Like 1

Can't see how anyone would think it was a shocking result or that Kovalev was robbed. Think Malignaggi had Ward by three or four. Macklin, Ward by two. Paul Smith had Ward just. Nelson & Bellew couldn't split them. I thought Ward just nicked it but wouldn't have been surprised or disappointed if Kovalev edged it.

• Like 1

You know when something is off when the debate goes on and on. I don't think there would have been half the outrage had Kovalev been given the decision.

There's been worse robberies in the sport but Kovalev out landed Ward in every stat and scored a knockdown, he won the fight most people believe he did enough. I hope the rematch happens asap but I feel Ward will play funny buggers....

He was doing his best to nullify Ward as that's all he basically does in fights, wrestle and hit in clinches. Although he was controlling Ward for the most part he got caught up in the wrestling rubbish instead of doing his own thing.

The way the judges scored the fight means they had Ward winning 7 rounds, can you tell me the 7 rounds he won because if I'm being generous I can only give the man 4-5 rounds. No way in hell did he take the belts from the champion IMO.

I really dont want to sound like a prick but a lot of fighters and ex fighters would appreciate the technical performance of Ward that straight out boxing fans would not of even noticed like i already said Kovalev won his rounds bigger and in a more obvious way but the way Ward was circling and off setting Kovalevs attacks up close was beautiful to watch from a technical point of view.....a big puncher like Kovalev doesnt want to be off balance when loading up and Ward never gave him the luxury of a static target he was constantly changing the angles it was a brilliant defensive display i guess you could say he was a poor mans Mayweather......Mayweather is a defensive genius who can master distance and timing whereas Ward does it in a different way,a more technical way that doesnt rely on reflexes like Mayweather can.

I couldnt tell you what rounds he won no i only watched the fight once so cant remember but i know Kovalev barely won a round in the second half of the fight but i say again i wouldnt argue strongly on a Ward win it was a very close fight that could of gone either way.

• Like 1

I really dont want to sound like a prick but a lot of fighters and ex fighters would appreciate the technical performance of Ward that straight out boxing fans would not of even noticed like i already said Kovalev won his rounds bigger and in a more obvious way but the way Ward was circling and off setting Kovalevs attacks up close was beautiful to watch from a technical point of view.....a big puncher like Kovalev doesnt want to be off balance when loading up and Ward never gave him the luxury of a static target he was constantly changing the angles it was a brilliant defensive display i guess you could say he was a poor mans Mayweather......Mayweather is a defensive genius who can master distance and timing whereas Ward does it in a different way,a more technical way that doesnt rely on reflexes like Mayweather can.

I couldnt tell you what rounds he won no i only watched the fight once so cant remember but i know Kovalev barely won a round in the second half of the fight but i say again i wouldnt argue strongly on a Ward win it was a very close fight that could of gone either way.

With all due respect most fighters and ex fighters had Kovalev winning. Kovalev out landed Ward in every punch stat and scored the knockdown. Only because Ward improved doesn't necessarily mean he was winning the fight. I think seeing Ward survive what looked like was going to be an early blast out and making the fight competitive made the judges subconsciously side with the underdog. Like I said, can anyone tell me the 7 rounds Ward won because for the life of me I just can't see it. Kovalev deserved the win, even the ref has tweeted that I believed Kovalev deserved it. I've always believed aggression should outscore defence because you won't get much fighting if two fighters ran away from each other. I hope the rematch happens ASAP, it needs to.

I thought Kovalev feinted beautifully and drew ward on to him at times as well, for me ward didn't really open up, just was concerned with keeping Kovalev at bay with mostly single shots, and he didn't do enough to wrestle the belts off Kovalev. He did show great heart though.

I

• Like 1