Mouse Cull

I'll tell you a true story about mice..... and I swear this is true !

When I was a boy, we lived in Australia. My dad got a job in Perth, so our only option to get there (from Melbourne !) was to drive. (Airline travel was horribly expensive at that time).

So, we set off in a 1969 Vauxhall Viva....yay ! Family road trip, memorable adventure, it'll be fun and so on.

About a week into the journey, we ran into one of the infamous mouse plagues.....

It was horrific beyond belief - the road and what seemed like the whole landscape was alive with them, in a seemingly endless tide, thousand upon thousand upon thousand, running across the road, drawn to the headlights. We could hear them being squashed and squealing as we drove over a river of mice !!

Whenever we got the chance, we had to stop somewhere and wash the carnage off the wheel arches, the radiator, the engine...even the windscreen !! The axles would clog up with dead mice..... It was like something straight out of a horror film......

Horrible, dirty vermin, and I hate them to this day !

• Like 4

Funnily i dont bother with mice. Used to go fishing on loch earn lying round the camp fire i would hear them scuttling around even running over you.Now rats on the other hand! If i saw one i would be out of there!

f***ing hate those things! I have heard of a "Rats flitting".. when all the rats in one area move to another all@ once. Something i hope never to witness. Although i think its very rare to see it.

Bloody hell BB I bet that gave you nightmares for a while after :laugh: I've seen video of those mouse plagues they really are unreal, I certainly wouldn't want to be caught in the middle of one.

Thankfully, I was only 7 and my sister was only 4, so we don't have absolute crystal clear memories of it. My sainted mum, on the other hand.......

Bloody hell BB I bet that gave you nightmares for a while after :laugh: I've seen video of those mouse plagues they really are unreal, I certainly wouldn't want to be caught in the middle of one.

Thankfully, I was only 7 and my sister was only 4, so we don't have absolute crystal clear memories of it. My sainted mum, on the other hand.......

My Ma would have had a nervous breakdown and never recovered I reckon :laugh: It's like something out of a James Herbert novel

• Like 2

Funnily i dont bother with mice. Used to go fishing on loch earn lying round the camp fire i would hear them scuttling around even running over you.Now rats on the other hand! If i saw one i would be out of there!

f***ing hate those things! I have heard of a "Rats flitting".. when all the rats in one area move to another all@ once. Something i hope never to witness. Although i think its very rare to see it.

I always thought that the great exodus of rats was the fruit of plummers over active imagination shall we say.... I've never witnessed it and don't know anybody who has.

Maybe it is kanny lol

I've heard a few old guys over the years tell me about it. However not one actually said they had seen it.

Maybe a Scottish thing then cause if heard it as well.

• Like 1

I got the ratting permission on a derelict egg farm with a brook running through it a few years back and the guy who lives on site told me the night they turned the electric off on one side ready for demolition the rats all moved in one go and you couldn't see the bridge for them.

Ive heard another tale of something similar around the docks at Liverpool, a big squealing plague of rats going down the road.

• Like 1

My Ma would have had a nervous breakdown and never recovered I reckon :laugh: It's like something out of a James Herbert novel

I do have a memory of it being something like the opening sequence here....

• Like 1