Any Deerhound Based X Pup Suggestions.....

I would like a collie cross like the ones you hear about on here, but I wouldn't take the risk running one on because I have seen a few that were utter shite, not saying I don't believe people have good dogs but seems a bit hit and miss for me to run a pup on for 18 month for nothing

if your looking for a dog to do things that bite back you have a few choices, bull crosses, wheaten crosses, deerhound crosses, bedlington crosses etc etc,

I'll say again collie greyhound are good at what they do but theres not many if any hard collie greyhounds about, Iv seen a few pull Charlie's and grey stuck in doubled up but even then they squeel like a piglet, the old school collie greyhound fare enough and I know there's a good few lines of bearded collie crosses over in Ireland but all these hancocks dogs flying around are decent for one thing and that's about it, Iv been out with a fare few hancocks dogs one excelled on rabbits but sulked like mad of it got laim, one excellent on rabbit and hare back in the day but also sulked for ages when laim, and a mate of mine runs one now that's 4 years old and literally never caught anything, not saying the lad running it has nothing to do with that because he is to blame but never the less Iv seen the dog run rabbits and pull up on them

Edited by Shaddy93

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Deer/grey playing on the beach        

Whilst the Germans don't kill Jews anymore some people still want to have the same pot filling lurchers or whippets like some people still use a catapult,yes they fell out of favour for bull xs or sal

Been thinking of getting a pup out of this old un before he gets to old.... if i find the right bitch

Posted Images

Like I said been out with a few and even rabbiting they didn't have enough fire for me, smallish fast fields, picking runs and stalking , ferreting ok but nothing special, my old bed die whippit greyhound bitch much better for bunnys, these were the ones I went out with

I like to hazard a guess that collie greyhounds have put away more game than most crosses, and have been about for years and more likely still will be in many years to come, they make some of the best alrounders on edible quarry if that's your thing, remember one man's trash is another man's treasure

• Like 3

I like to hazard a guess that collie greyhounds have put away more game than most crosses, and have been about for years and more likely still will be in many years to come, they make some of the best alrounders on edible quarry if that's your thing, remember one man's trash is another man's treasure

Couldn't agree more on edible game the right collie greyhound is bang on for that sort of stuff, but what does me is how these collie greyhound hunters get abit above themselves and start walking into unknown territory, I won't have anyone tell me every lurcher should have collie in and I also won't have anyone tell me a collie grey is what you want for things that bite back, I love to watch a collie greyhound run rabbit I think k it's fantastic to watch how clever they are, but pulling something out of a hole.... have a laugh

Couldn't agree more on edible game the right collie greyhound is bang on for that sort of stuff, but what does me is how these collie greyhound hunters get abit above themselves and start walking into unknown territory, I won't have anyone tell me every lurcher should have collie in and I also won't have anyone tell me a collie grey is what you want for things that bite back, I love to watch a collie greyhound run rabbit I think k it's fantastic to watch how clever they are, but pulling something out of a hole.... have a laugh

A pure bull will outdo any dog at pulling stuff out holes

.... as far as deerhounds go I don't see the purpose of using them in a cross when there's better dogs out there at all games

A pure bull will outdo any dog at pulling stuff out holes

.... as far as deerhounds go I don't see the purpose of using them in a cross when there's better dogs out there at all games

Iv owned pure bulls and although there hard and strong and very good at the job Iv also whitnessed a mates 3/4 grey 1/4 bull built almost like a whippet greyhound put one of my dogs to shame at drawing, sometimes a pure bull is no good if something's in a tight spot between rocks, and I could say the same as what youv just said about deerhounds about collie greyhounds, although I also agree about deerhounds, I guess the terrain you run has a big part to play

This topic wasn't for collies as I personally wouldnt want one. I think they are OK for other people to have and run.This topic is now 3/4 collie and 1/4 deerhound.

always the same.

Mention a collie in a thread and you will have how they are shit, can't do this n that and before you know it, it's a Hancock witch-hunt...

Atb with what your looking for.

I need a few days off here again, iv read enough.

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't entertain having a pup off a pedlar like that.

I'd sooner give a lad a few quid for an honest pup out of workers....regardless of the cross you want . But this lad wants to know where to get a deerhound cross can anyone help him ?

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't entertain having a pup off a pedlar like that.

I'd sooner give a lad a few quid for an honest pup out of workers....regardless of the cross you want . But this lad wants to know where to get a deerhound cross can anyone help him ?

me neither mate and the ones I've seen run off him have been ablsolute Fecking tripe wouldn't have one for feck all
  • Like 2

I'm sorry but this thread is brilliant! Hancock dogs doing all game hahahahahahaha Iv got to laugh else I'll cry

you seem to know it all.

Obviously u don't because tgere are Hancock dogs out there killing foxes deer hare and rabbit regular. Simple

Well I know a lot who run them Iv been out with many of them over the years and I know a lot of people who have ran them for years and I have never Hurd about a hancocks dog doing all game and I won't believe it until I see it, the man is nothing but a peddler, iv been to his kennels a mate of mine owned a bitch she died last year at 9 years old another mate of mine has a dog from there 18 month old and they both have the same mother!! The last time his dogs seen a rabbit was the last time he had a shave,

• Like 1

This topic wasn't for collies as I personally wouldnt want one. I think they are OK for other people to have and run.This topic is now 3/4 collie and 1/4 deerhound.

always the same.

Mention a collie in a thread and you will have how they are shit, can't do this n that and before you know it, it's a Hancock witch-hunt...

don't take it personal, it would be very dull if everyone had the type of dog and opinions..... I haven't got a dog at the moment and I needed to find the right cross for myself.
  • Like 2

always the same.

It's not a witch hunt, I think anyone who sold that many pups on here would get the same flack, and if anyone dares mention him in a negative way you take it personally.

No ones having a pop at your pup ,it's the person you purchased it from who will sell to anyone with the money.

• Like 1