Firearms Licence

Hi there,

I'll get [BANNED TEXT] to the point I have permission to shoot and have been shooting on this permission for 9 months now, mainly taking rabbits as the place is full of them.

I use an air arms s410 HC. Have to say great little air rifle in the field not heavy.

Problem am facing now is the rabbits have got wise I've being changing tactics but when trying to get into a range for a humane kill shot they bolt. I do bag between 3-5 rabbits but now thinking of upping my game.

Problem am facing is am thinking of getting a Rimfire .22 rifle, reason being where at the moment my max distance is 40 yards I could go up to 100 yards for those paddocks I can't get to without being seen.

I have no experience with a rimfire rifle and was wondering is this a silly idea, or do you only get experience by learning yourself. Am not sure if the land owner will let me just yet my gut feeling is they will say yes as they let

Me do what ever there. As long as am stopping the rabbit population from growing.

Just need some advice on this, also how would you ask the question on using the firearm on there land

Thanks

Most farmers/rural land owners are probably well used to firearms so, won't have a problem with their competent use.

Has the land been cleared for firearms use?

How's your fieldcraft?

There are some very good blokes in the airgun section that have a lot of success on their permissions - they're always happy to share advice :thumbs:

You considered other methods of control? Snares or traps?

do snares require a licence now ??

No license needed for snares but they do have to be legal...... It's worth doing some research if you're considering using them.

For example - I think locking snares are illegal and, if used in Scotland, I believe they have to some kind of identifying mark?

You considered other methods of control? Snares or traps?

do snares require a licence now ??

No but it saves messing on trying to get a firearms license, and people automatically think they'll get granted a firearms licence, if only it was that easy!

A ferret is cheaper than a license AND you don't have to jump through hoops to get one !

I picked up a permission because the owner didn't want any shooting on his land. He heard about me using ferrets, and he approached me !

I've just lost my shotgun and firearms Licences because of my stepson getting into trouble so I made him lose his hobby to.everything I've got to do with hunting and all the dogs have gone so he can't go out now.37yrs of hunting down the drain though a teenager thinking he is 10 men.

Lurchers I've been in your stepson situation as a young man thing is we ain't all the same some are able to keep cool in a situation and some of us lose our head. Don't be too hard on the lad teach to be clever and not to act on anger.its a sickening feeling I know but it's the stupid laws in this country not the lads fault.

Blimey, what a negative outlook and this is a site promoting the hunting way of life :icon_eek: Go for the .22lr, as for `jumping through hoops` I found gaining an open ticket for .22lr, .17 HMR and .223 plus a section 1 shotgun not as difficult as gaining my car/motorcycle licence or completing my degree etc.. depends on how much you want the .22lr as to how hard it seams.

• Like 1

Thanks david-aiken for that message most appreciated I was wondering the same with some of the comments. Going to see if I can get the .22lr. The .223 is more for fox shooting if am not mistaken, I have seen a lot of foxes at my permission but don't think they bother my current permission But I do know down the road has chickens so gives me something to think about with that .223 as he's got over 60 acres

• Like 1