After a pretty successful trip down to Dorset on the sika and having filled up the local game-dealer i had to find a home for the excess. A local chef has had roe off me in the past and i tapped him up for a sika prior to the trip and then managed to up-sell him a second... a small catch developed though... they need to be boned out :cray::laugh: .

No problem says I.... :censored::censored:

Anyway - after the recent hogget I wasn't exactly rusty although I did invest in a couple of new knives and a DICK sharpening tool (which I have to say, is the dogs bollocks) and then got a little carried away..

The first challenge was to manhandle a 90lb (skinned!) sika out the chiller and 'clean-and-jerk' the bugger onto my meat rail without either it dropping on the floor, slipping a disk or a hilarious combination of the two.

S1_zpsjoowc3oq.jpeg

After separating it into primals to make it more manageable (the haunches alone weigh more than most roe deer I shoot) I removed the loins and, given their size, decided to make noisette rolls to give the chef some more options. These needed careful peeling back and trimming to remove the silver skin and paddy-whack and could then be trussed keeping the fat eye in the roll. The tenderloins and neck fillets were pretty uncomplicated.

S2_zpsqc5d9vwp.jpeg

S3_zpsqux3tqxg.jpeg

Then to the shoulders which had a little shot damage and needed trimming... the properly f****d bits were discarded and I kept the trim in large/small trim piles. After boning them out they also rolled up nicely although a bit more practise and finesse wouldn't go amiss... all the bones went in a box for the stock pot... even less for me to chuck away thank god!

S4_zpsb2kkesbs.jpeg

Legs were straightforward, the shanks were boned out for the large trim pile and bobs your uncle... only two more to do!

S5_zpsjobxduva.jpeg

The thought crossed my mind to cut all the strings and just vac-pac them like that as i'm not doubt making a rod for my own back!

• Like 16

Never even heard or chestnut flour - I'll have a look at that.

I vac-packed it all as well sock for good measure?. We had a hasty conversation in the truck while just after they'd been shot but nothing specific ?(not that I look at them or the sport as pound notes but you've got to be practical about things). Normally I just primal cut them but had to bone out the last Roe I took him as the shot smashed the loins to bits? and I had make it worth his while to take it.

• Like 1

It won't shave the hairs off you arm but for a quick, clean edge it it's spot on. Managed to tiddle up my old boning knife that that I'd abused for a few years prior with a few strokes as well... and that's saying something!