Zero In, Tuning In Your Air Rifle Sights Ect....

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

iv zero'd it in at 35 yards...... im spot on, much appriciated .... thanks guys, ill show you my set up soon as i get my lead to my laptop ect... ATB ..FT

Practice is all it comes down to mate   ask viz at first when i came back into shooting after 20 odd years i could not hit a barn door if i chucked the rifle at it lol   right if you can put up wi

You might as well chuck 20 quid down the drain if you reckon a scope that cheap will perform like one costing at least 5 times as much. Sounds like you really could do with a helping hand sat next to

Posted Images

IM ABSOLUTLY AT MY FCKUNG WITS END, I CAN NOT ZERO MY SIGHTS IN, withing a inch here or there no problem, but then some how it gets knocked out, and im thinking its the cheapness of the sights, or is it me ? is there anyon from the newport area, south east wales area , i dont mind driving to you, if you can zero my sights in for me at 35 yrds. thanks in advance :thumbs: ATB FT

Has the weihrauch got a series of holes in the top of the action? Some scope mounts have a hollow dowel that knocks through into one of the holes to prevent the mounts moving. Scopes and mounts get some hammer off a springer and your problem could be the mounts creeping backwards on recoil.

IM ABSOLUTLY AT MY FCKUNG WITS END, I CAN NOT ZERO MY SIGHTS IN, withing a inch here or there no problem, but then some how it gets knocked out, and im thinking its the cheapness of the sights, or is it me ? is there anyon from the newport area, south east wales area , i dont mind driving to you, if you can zero my sights in for me at 35 yrds. thanks in advance :thumbs: ATB FT

you get good and bad scopes even though there the same model ft!!

I've had sh!te ones that won't hold zero.. have a butchers on freeads or post a wanted!

you'll find one easy enough and there cheap as chips

atb si

• Like 1

Has the weihrauch got a series of holes in the top of the action? Some scope mounts have a hollow dowel that knocks through into one of the holes to prevent the mounts moving. Scopes and mounts get some hammer off a springer and your problem could be the mounts creeping backwards on recoil.

my air rifle has a peice of metal that stops the backwards recoil, so its not that

Depends how far you want to travel. I'm in West Wales. You're welcome to bring it over here and we can try one of my scopes on it, to rule out the scope, then I'd have a go at zeroing yours, but it's a long way to come to zero an airgun.

Just don't take a screwdriver to anything screw-shaped on your scope foxtails. :hmm::cray:

The dials work by fingertip control. The top = elevation turret dials work in commonsense ways. That is, if your shot hits say, Higher up and left of your intended zero centre, you need to wind down the top turret dial till your shot is directly left of the zero-target on paralell with it. Usually turn it to left or anti-clockwise to move the reticle down to where you need it to be.

Then, you need to to turn the windage dial LEFT in order to move it TO THE RIGHT in order for the cross-hairs or reticle to move your shot bang on the centre of your zero.

Sorry if I'm stating what may be obvious to you now, but, I get the distinct impression you are really not that familiar with how scopes operate?

You'll soon get used to zeroing with practice, :thumbs: YES UR RIGHT I HAVENT A CLUE how to zero these scopes in !

turn direction} upper impact point left up left down right up right down

hand wheel clock wise counter clockwise counter clock wise clock wise counter-

clockwise

left hand wheel counter clockwise counter clockwise counter clock wise clock wise clockwise

this is somthing like the chart is as to zero in my air rifle in , iv done it the best i can, but honestly iv tried and tried, but am loosing the will , as iv tried soooo many times , sorry guys that iv kept on about the same shite, .....cant zero in ..ect... but its driving me mad ! atb FT

This may have been done but if not it would be my first course of action.

Forget zero at the moment

We need to establish if you, the scope or the gun is playing tricks here. Due to it being a springer, you cannot completely lock the gun in a fixed position but we can still go some length to test out where a possible fault lay.

Mark a 5mm spot on plain sheet of paper and at 20mts with the cross hairs on the spot, shoot about 10 pellets at that spot. What we are looking for is to see if the gun is shooting a good group with scope and gun set up as it is. You will need to support the gun to ensure it is not moving around when shooting but allow the gun to move with recoil. If the group is good, then repeat the process at 30mts and 35mts.

If the groups are good or at least you are happy with them, I can assume the scope is not moving and neither is the gun. In this situation you can make adjustment to the scope in the ways described but if the group is all over the place, you have an issue before trying to zero which will be, the scope, the gun or you. In this case you will be forever chasing zero.

If you visit a range, ask one of the experienced shooters there to try and produce a good group using your kit, if he can, it is down to you my friend and the way you are holding the gun and as I have found with much swearing, spring guns are hold sensitive in the main. If the helpful chap at the range has the same issues as you, either the scope or gun is at fault. Then you will have to decide which you get rid of, scope, gun or both.

I feel at this time that you need to just forget about zero and concentrate on performance of the kit and yourself then if all is well, work with help on zero. Usually someone will help at a range if you ask and a fresh set of eyes looking at your situation can be a huge benefit.

Phil

Edited by philpot
  • Like 2

You might as well chuck 20 quid down the drain if you reckon a scope that cheap will perform like one costing at least 5 times as much. Sounds like you really could do with a helping hand sat next to you and help figure out what's going wrong.

Cheap Scope.

Cheap Mounts.

Reticle unresponsive to control from the turrets.

Canting-over off true.

Poor set-up.

A lot working against you I'm afraid here mate. We've all had nightmares like this down the line.

If the pictures of the scope you've posted are a clear indication of what you actually have here, the mounts alone aren't worth a thing of use on a recoiling spring or gas-ram air rifle.

The best solution is always bin the crap that won't work, it'll save your sanity for a start-off!. Even by any standard, you should be getting something of an understanding how scopes work in principle by now.

You've bought a decent rifle with the HW90, no worries there, but could the recoil be knocking the scope out of any feasable zero? A gas ram action will deliver a savage amount of recoil whack that a cheap scope with naff internals will not be able to withstand. So you are on a loser there already.

Look for a better quality scope. A decent Hawke or better. AND buy decent mounts like ones made by Sportsmatch.

And just start again. There's nothing in airgunning that can't be fixed. One way or another.

• Like 4

Silly question, but I assume the mounts are nipped up tight?

im gonna check that, its driving me nuts why they keep getting knocked out, even a few inches somtimes, now its right out, sooo frustrating after working so hard to get them zeroed right IN ! ill find the problem if it takes me all week, and a thousand pellets. at the minute im about 6" out to the right and i need to come up about 2" up so ...i will get there !! thanks for the advice guys :thumbs: FT

You might as well chuck 20 quid down the drain if you reckon a scope that cheap will perform like one costing at least 5 times as much. Sounds like you really could do with a helping hand sat next to you and help figure out what's going wrong.

Cheap Scope.

Cheap Mounts.

Reticle unresponsive to control from the turrets.

Canting-over off true.

Poor set-up.

A lot working against you I'm afraid here mate. We've all had nightmares like this down the line.

If the pictures of the scope you've posted are a clear indication of what you actually have here, the mounts alone aren't worth a thing of use on a recoiling spring or gas-ram air rifle.

The best solution is always bin the crap that won't work, it'll save your sanity for a start-off!. Even by any standard, you should be getting something of an understanding how scopes work in principle by now.

You've bought a decent rifle with the HW90, no worries there, but could the recoil be knocking the scope out of any feasable zero? A gas ram action will deliver a savage amount of recoil whack that a cheap scope with naff internals will not be able to withstand. So you are on a loser there already.

Look for a better quality scope. A decent Hawke or better. AND buy decent mounts like ones made by Sportsmatch.

And just start again. There's nothing in airgunning that can't be fixed. One way or another.

iv got a feeling that you may be right, ill check all avenues before i come to this conclusion, but it seems a good conclusion ! thanks :thumbs: FT